Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2005, 11:20 AM   #1
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Power Cord Access

Hi All,

I didn't seem to have too many problems getting my power cord in and out of it's compartment, UNTIL! Larmar (fulltimedreamer) posted he had changed over to a shore power connector on his rig. Shortly after His post I started to have problems getting my power cord out. It would double up and be quite difficult. There was nothing I could do except keep playing with it until it freed up. Very frustrating. Now I'm not blaming Lamar, but, He did get me thinking about it.

I really wanted to keep using that compartment to store the cord, it also has my Autoformer mounted in it, so today my project was to come up with a fix. I needed larger access to that compartment from the outside. I purchased a Elect. compartment door from my Dealer, cut off the back flange and mounted it over the full access hole. Sealed it real well with putty tape, added a notch for the lock and Cord. Now I can stick my hand right into the compartment to un-tangle the cord. Worked out great. Here's some pics. Notice the Vents I added for the Autoformer.

http://www.msnusers.com/azstar

Click on Pictures on the left side. I have the Sun Screen pics and the Bed Wheel Mod. on page 2 there also. If you click on the photos you will see them full sized.

Happy Camping

azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 12:38 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
That is a nice fix, azstar. I would prefer that the 50 amp systems had storage similar to what you have. Instead, we roll our python cord up in a round laundry basket.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 02:00 PM   #3
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Python, Stiles? What an apt description for the 50 amp cable! We use the exact same storage procedure to store ours as you suggest.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:21 PM   #4
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Steve,
Nice upgrades. I've still yet to move the casterss under the bed on the slide. How did you get to the inside screws when you installed the casters to the floor? The casters are really wearing the carpet and I need to get this fixed.

Hey, I promise I had nothing to do with your power cord getting tangled.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:08 AM   #5
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Lamar,

I'll add a Pic. of the ratchet I used. I put pressure on it using a small pry bar or screw driver.

In the Pics. you'll see the caster leaning a bit, It was taken prior to adding the inside screw. I only put 3 screws in. Difficulity level on the inside screws was about an 8.5 so there's only one on each inside. Has worked out very well after many, many cycles.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:21 PM   #6
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Thanks, Steve.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote