Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2005, 05:47 AM   #21
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Thanks to all who suggested Dawn! It works WAY better than the generic roof cleaner that came with the rig from Keystone!! We have tons of the "liver spots" as well. If nothing else goes wrong, I've got no problem with them. We also found lots of little bubbles. A Keystone rep noted that they expect bubbling along expansion joints on the roof, so I feel MUCH better this morning.

I can also assure you that the ladder and roof can take the weight! I go well past 250, and the ladder didn't creak or groan. As well, I had a minimum of sponginess on the roof, and most of that was around joints and fixtures. Just to give me a shot of confidence, Cheryl stands next to the rig with insurance cards and a cell phone every time I go on the roof.....

Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:38 AM   #22
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
I missed Steve’s post back when he posted it, but his and yours, Pete, put any concerns about the liver spots to rest. I agree that the Dawn works well, but I will probably have to do a second wash sometime in the near future, because, as I said before, I am pretty certain the previous owners never washed it, but also because I washed it in one afternoon and evening, and I was growing weary by the end of it!

And, Steve, I think practical is the more appropriate term!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 11:39 AM   #23
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Wordsmith, Look up my thread on "Roof Freckles".
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:51 AM   #24
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Thanks for the tip Stiles! Did you try the Oxy Clean or take David and Steve’s advice? Right now, I am leaning toward the latter after that marathon cleaning of the roof a couple of weeks ago!
Old 06-21-2005, 10:10 AM   #25
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I just haven't had time to try the Oxy Clean. The next time I go through the ordeal of washing the roof, I will probably try the Oxy Clean. I know you realize that all my angst was tongue-in-cheek. I am not overly concerned, but will remove the spots if reasonably possible.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:38 AM   #26
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
I'm surprised that the roof cleaning is costing some so much time! I'm doing it about every two months (so I can watch the roof bubbles closely), and a complete wash is taking me about 20 minutes. We got one of the blue extend-o-handle wash brushes at Wal-Mart. I've seen the exact same brush in several Wal-Marts for about $17 in the RV section. The bristles are frayed (real soft!) so they won't damage roof or side finishes, but do a great job of cleaning the entire exterior.

Now, waxing the house......that's a WHOLE different story!!!
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:00 PM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Stiles, it's the 'reasonably possible' part that got me. I used to try to keep it white but cold weather with leaves falling and sitting there in the rain did it in as far as keeping it white. When my usual cleaning with Dawn/water using the same brush Pete uses didn't faze the spots I decided to heck with it, I'll just clean it to get the dirt off best I can and it will just have to be un-white. Life is too short to spend hours and hours getting it back to white. For me, at least.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:45 PM   #28
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Well, you all know that my wife retired from the space industry. So I am deeply concerned about my satellite cameo. They are watching, you know, and we must keep up appearances.

Seriously mildew spots have been a way of life for all of us who live in the Southern, warm, moist climes. So I thought yelling and fussing about it would be fun and it has been.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:05 PM   #29
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Stiles, those of us in the South will take our fun any way we can come by it, right! After all, with the heat and humidity, you have to laugh at it; it is better than the alternative!
Old 06-23-2005, 02:16 AM   #30
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
This thread came at the perfect time. I am washing, waxing and buffing the Montana for an upcoming trip and washed my roof for the first time last night. I used Thetford cleaner, a nice bristle brush from CW and my pressure washer to rinse. Came out very nice. And then, I started tackling the bugs on the front with RV cleaner and also the bristle brush and pressure washer. No help on the bugs. Then I used the bounce sheets. What a great discovery - thanks to MOC members. It worked great. I quickly went to the Silverado windshield and "Wow". My arms are tired this morning, but the Monty is looking much nicer. I will be doing a final clean-up tonight with the help of my teen age boys. You'll be able to spot us heading west on I-80 on Friday/Saturday - we'll be in the shiny red Silverado being followed by a spotless Montana 3400. Hopefully, it'll be right on my tail.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:46 AM   #31
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Drive safe, Ron and Terrie! If you happen to drop down to I-70/Kansas City area, be sure to let us know and we'll meet you somewhere or whatever.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote