Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2005, 02:29 PM   #1
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Does Tivo Absolutely Require a Landline?

Dear Mobile Friends,

I’ve checked the forums, and found a thread that touched upon DirecTV and Tivo, but not this question, per se.

I’m wondering if any of you have Satellite TV with a Tivo connected to your TV.

I would like to find out if I’m really going to be messed up if I buy a Tivo when we opt for DirecTV, this next week, for our fulltime rig.

Tivo, (in order to maximize all its features,) needs a landline, or a connection to the Internet. It can work well, even if only connected to a landline once a week...Which still leaves us in the dark, because we use cell phones.

I’m only seriously interested in being able to tell it to record one or two different shows. Hopefully, while I’m watching a third show from time to time.

Has anyone used a Tivo for any length of time, without a landline or Internet connection, and been able to turn off extraneous features to reduce Tivo error messages, and used it to record a couple shows at a time? And have you recorded two shows while watching a third?

Just wondering. But since we can get DirecTV early next week, I’d love to find out ASAP, so I can get it while I can save $50 on it, and only pay $5/month to DirecTV, rather than $12/month to Tivo.

If it absolutely requires a phone line, just to record two different channels, I’m not sure I’m going to buy one.

Thanks in Advance,
Steve

Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 05:16 PM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Just had TIVO installed at the house with Direct TV. For TIVO to work it needs two inputs. You can record two shows at once but remember you have a dual receiver. It requires a Dual LNB antenna. But you can hook a multiswitch to the dual Lnb to have 4 outputs off the dual antenna so yu can also run your bedroom and/or outside TV.

The techs told me that the landline was necessary for two reasons. One for Pay Per View and the other for programming updates. You can look up in the utility screens and it will tell you when it is going to call out. So you at least have to have it hooked up for that scheduled call.

You have about a 2 week look ahead with Tivo so you can search for movies or what ever you like. It also has a season pass option that allows you to record the whole season of your favorite programs.

lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:22 PM   #3
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Tom,

Thanks. But we don’t have a landline. We do have a cell phone, though. I was hoping that getting DirecTV would solve a hassle for my wife, who has been diligently searching for RV parks that have cable. (I’m addicted to TV, and we can only receive ABC, here!)

We never had any satellite service when living in Alaska. So this is a double whammy for us.

I am going to join a TiVo forum on one of the many TiVo sites, to ask if a cell phone with Verizon’s “Mobile Office” will suffice for the necessary updates. I know we can get it started with one call, initially. But I don’t want to have to see repeated error messages about it wanting to “phone home,” and don’t know if I will be able to record two shows, (with dual LNB,) without it being able to call.

Speaking of “dual LNBs,” the dealer is expecting to install a single LNB. I’m really going to have to call DirecTV. He didn’t even seem to understand the DirecTV’s “Distant Network Services” deal. He’d be happy installing what will work here in Virginia. But I don’t believe we’d like it when the satellite isn’t reachable when we get very far out west!

Not to mention the fiver only has the one Satellite/Cable connection on the side! What’s up with that? Do you use two connectors, like our 2004 3380 had? One for Cable, and one for Satellite.

As far as I can tell, that service requires a bigger dish, with more than one lobe, than the dealer’s preparing to give us, so it can see more than one satellite.

Heck. I was going to wait until we got out west to try for satellite Internet. Now it looks like I’m going to have to wait until we can get satellite TV!

Dang!

I’m hoping that a trip to the Manassas Camping World or one of the Circuit Citys, or Best Buys will illuminate things a bit better.

Steve
Old 05-06-2005, 03:18 AM   #4
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Word of caution about Direct TV. Your pix shows a lot of trees and the signal will not go through trees. Makes sure there are no trees at about 200-220 degrees. The signal will go through heavy rain but not trees. You will also lose your signal when a thunderstorm gets between you and the SAT.

TIVO will work with a single input but you lose half the capability.

I installed a roof mount antenna on mine but it is a single output. I plan on changing heads soon so I can carry 2 receivers on the trips. Phone lines are not essential for the regular receivers.
You can get PPV by requesting movies by internet.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 03:37 AM   #5
Montana_883
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #883
Folks there is another problem that may happen when putting on a new tank. If you open the valve too fast the it will NOT let gas flow. You must open the vale very slowly. This is more important if the gas pressure in the rig has gone to zero because you ran out. Many folk think the regulator is bad,but it turns out to be the above problem.
Montana_883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 03:40 AM   #6
Montana_883
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #883
Sorry, I put the above in the wrong topic..Dumb-ole-me
Montana_883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 04:54 AM   #7
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Steve,
It may be worth your time to talk to a Dish Network dealer. You can get a DVR free and it has many features.
Definitely get the dish with 2 LNB in order to pick up signals from 2 satellites.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 11:54 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have been using direct tv for about 5 years. The only reason you need the landline is to order pay per view. You can record all you want with tivo. in simple terms it is the same as recording off a VCR . You would not of course be able to record pay per view since you would not have a land line to order it. The local stations operate by zip code. If you order in Dallas Tx then you will take those local stations with you wherever you go. You can shoot through through SMALL branches but NOT large limbs or a tree trunk.You can help lose of signal due to heavy weather by geting a larger dish
18 inches or 24 inches. Don't know about using a cell phone to order but don't know why not Oh you can order on the internet..The so called updates are not important.It is only a ruse to get you to hook up a landline so you will order lots of pay per view..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 05:57 PM   #9
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Tom,

That picture was when we were down in Ozark, Alabama. We’d have moved the rig, or the dish, to make sure we got a clean sky. Right now, we’re in Luray, Virginia, and have a great southern exposure. My neighbor’s dish gets a great signal.

CW had a sale on a folding dish, with a base that has a compass and level in it. The sale ended yesterday, but we were able to get the sale price, anyway! It’s got the Dual LNB, so we’re OK, there.

The problem I’m having is that this rig has only one connector for both Satellite and TV. You have to swap cables on the inside to get directly to the receiver. I can’t find a replacement DUAL connector plate to swap with that single one. I may call Keystone. They may have some advice.

I found that TiVo can’t use a cell phone. The TiVo website said as much. Maybe a future generation of TiVo. But not the latest ones.

Meanwhile, I have one of those short flat cables that allows feeding signals through a window frame. Until I find a neat way to get a double connector plate on the side of the rig, that will have to do.

When and if we upgrade to a roof-mounted dish, it will definitely have a dual LNB!

Thanks for the advice and help!

Steve

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lightningjack11

Word of caution about Direct TV. Your pix shows a lot of trees and the signal will not go through trees. Makes sure there are no trees at about 200-220 degrees. The signal will go through heavy rain but not trees. You will also lose your signal when a thunderstorm gets between you and the SAT.

TIVO will work with a single input but you lose half the capability.

I installed a roof mount antenna on mine but it is a single output. I plan on changing heads soon so I can carry 2 receivers on the trips. Phone lines are not essential for the regular receivers.
You can get PPV by requesting movies by internet.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:04 PM   #10
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Weldon, or Carolyn,

I looked at the Dish programming, and saw it was cheaper than DirecTV. Then I saw they didn’t have FOX News, on the low-end package, and started searching. Turns out you have to add to the programming a lot of sports channels, in order to get FOX News. I really hate sports. And don’t wish to have to go through those channels when flipping the remote.

DirecTV’s base package has FOX News, and all the rest of the things I’d like, with only a few sports channels.

I’ll go with them.

Besides, I have DirecTV on the brain, because I was looking seriously into going to DirecWay to get satellite Internet. If the price on the dish for that comes down more, (dropped $2K in the past year…After going up $2K a year or so ago,) and the same antenna will receive DirecTV, with an add-on to the boom that the LNB is on.

I’m not sure Internet dishes for other services would be compatible with TV, unless I’d have to get some “mongrel” service.

Thanks, though!

Steve

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Thunderman

Steve,
It may be worth your time to talk to a Dish Network dealer. You can get a DVR free and it has many features.
Definitely get the dish with 2 LNB in order to pick up signals from 2 satellites.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:22 PM   #11
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rich or Helen,

I found that out from AZStar, too. (That I could use the TiVo, and only have the occasional error messages about it wanting to “phone home.) Made my day!

I also searched the DirecTV site, (after my wife brought it to my attention,) for the “Distant Network Service,” or “DNS,” that DirecTV allows mobile users.

Since Fairbanks TV stations aren’t on DirecTV’s system, we can get NY and LA Network stations, (8 in all,) no matter where we are. While browsing some of DirecTV’s FAQs, and forums, I heard some stories about people losing their home stations for various reasons while away from home. Someone warned another user not to tell DirecTV’s people that he was away from home, or he might lose his, too! So beware!

I heard you can order movies on-line, as well. They add a charge if you use their 800 number to order…Regardless of whether you use a cell or a landline. I guess that’s to encourage the use of their automated system, and/or to fund the personnel on the phones.

We’ll be double checking before parking the rig to make sure we have a clear shot at the satellite. I’m sure we’ll have some problems in some locations. Like when we were south of here, in Mocksville, North Carolina, at a park that was positively overgrown with trees. (But it sure was pretty! Lake Meyers RV Resort. http://www.rvinthesun.com/lakemyers/LMHome.htm )

I think the updates, (if you can trust the TiVo site,) are to let the TiVo know about schedules and changes to them, in case you want to record a show by type, or to get it to record a series that may alter times from week to week. The fact that I can record more than one show, (and even watch a third,) should do it for me.

Thanks,
Steve

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We have been using direct tv for about 5 years. The only reason you need the landline is to order pay per view. You can record all you want with tivo. in simple terms it is the same as recording off a VCR . You would not of course be able to record pay per view since you would not have a land line to order it. The local stations operate by zip code. If you order in Dallas Tx then you will take those local stations with you wherever you go. You can shoot through through SMALL branches but NOT large limbs or a tree trunk.You can help lose of signal due to heavy weather by geting a larger dish
18 inches or 24 inches. Don't know about using a cell phone to order but don't know why not Oh you can order on the internet..The so called updates are not important.It is only a ruse to get you to hook up a landline so you will order lots of pay per view..
Old 05-07-2005, 05:25 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You have to kind of sort out what the various companys say and what really works. They are in business to make you buy their product.We just take the directtv receiver from the family room and put in the the camper..been doing that for years..You can order pay per view on line or by phone so you really do not neeed a land line connected all the time. They also have sat DSL service which we will need down the road. Oh about more cable ot Sat inputs into your Rv..Note how thick the walls are.Just pick out were you want the input..and drill a hole through the camper, couple of wall connectors from radio shack and you are in business.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:58 AM   #13
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rich,

You are also psychic!

Now I’m getting scared!

I just told Kim that I may as well drill through the wall and put the household-grade dual F-Connector Plate that I picked up yesterday at Home Depot, (is it “DEE-PO,” or “DEP-O?” I said “DEE-PO,” and Kim corrected me, go figure,) because the way the existing single pass-through is, it’s way lower than the inside coax jumper panel, and that’d mean I’d have to figure out how to push or pull the cable from up high, to down low, to connect at a reasonable height, outside.

I am so good at removing the TV, that I’m sure I can drill out right next to the existing pass-through, and place the panel next to that.

Now I wonder if I should wait until we’re at a rally, so I can sell tickets to cover the cost of repairs, after I mange to drill into whatever may also be running through that wall….

But, really. That idea seems to be the way to go. I’m not going to hire some “professionals” to do something their way, when “my way” is just as functional, and probably just as nice.

I’ll be looking for little rubber thingies, (not to be confused with “pointy thingies, or hidey holes,”) to cover the jacks up when they aren’t connected. They’re such a pretty gold color that I would feel sad if they get tarnished.

Steve
Old 05-07-2005, 02:42 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You can get those rubber thingies at home "DEE-POT" or radio shack; As far as drilling through the walls..been there done that in a couple of TT's and will no doubt do it in the new fifth wheel when we get it.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:36 PM   #15
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rich,

I'm fairly sure there'll be nothing in the wall when I need to drill. If I had to drill into anything but a slide, I'd worry a bit. Our TV’s in a slide out.) But then I'd just drill carefully through the fiberglass, and then dig around a bit with an awl, or something, before finishing the hole off, just in case a wire or whatever was in there.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-08-2005, 05:08 PM   #16
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Last year when we bought our Montana, we definitely wanted to have satellite. So, I had our dealer install the roof mount dish. Then I found out the difference between Dish and Direct. Dish currently requires two different satellites to get their signals. For the most part, the sat channels are on one satellite and locals on another. But it was a hassle switching back and forth. The roof mounted dish is a single lnbf. The reason is that there is a third angle - skew - required for the Dish satellites. With DirecTV, we just set it to one satellite and we're done. For us, the advantage was that we had Dish six years ago and both DirecTV and Dish are interested in new customers, not existing ones. Once you have one or the other, you no longer qualify for their "super" deals. So, it was financially better for us to go to DirecTV, because we have HD at home now and wanted Tivo as well. There are pros and cons to the roof mount antenna. With the tripod, if there are trees in the way, you can just move the dish. If you have Dish, its easy to use the dual LNBF to set the skew angle with the tripod mount. On the other hand, with the roof mount, you pull into your site, look up the angles, turn to the azimuth and elevation and you're in business. No storage hassles, no setting up in the dark, etc. It works for us. Lots of options, they're all good, pick the one that's right for you. I will be watching the Tivo discussion. Didn't think we could use in the trailer because of the phone line.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 06:38 PM   #17
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
I don't want to tell you guys how long we have had Direct TV but our old receiver cost $700. plus $85 for an "installation kit". We now have a roof mount crank up dish with a "magic satellite finder" on it. It works great. We put a duel LNB on it and ran the wires in the attic. (with a great deal of trouble) Used the awning rod to fish the wires from vent to vent until we got them where we wanted them. We are able to watch different programs on the two sets we have with us and now visible wires. As for local programs we get our local programs as long as we are in Oregon. Don't know how far North we get them as have not been to Washington in a while. We get them just East of Boise ID. and in Winnemmucca NV. They call it "spot tec." They can broadcast to a very limited area. We have friends from Colorado who get Denver stations in Mexico. They are with Dish network. WE get NY and CA. networks every where we go. There are some problems with the system. but when we were wintering in Mazatlan Direct saved our sanity. We had to use a 1.2 meter dish to get the signal. I got tired of watching football in Spanish.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 05:34 AM   #18
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Ron,

Sounds like you’re pleased with your set-up.

We’re newbies to satellite, so we researched channel line-ups, and DVR, (TiVo,) availability.

We’ve checked into the pros and cons of tripod-vs-roof mount, and decided to hold off on roof-mount because we have been in so many places that have trees that would block a southern exposure.

As for “Local Channels,” we couldn’t get them if we wanted them, anyway, since our official “local” would be Fairbanks, AK. And they aren’t on any satellite company’s feeds. Since we’ll be getting the DirecTV here in VA, we’ll get Washington, D.C. “Local Channels.” And, if we lose them, we’ll still have networks from both NY and LA, so the shows we tend to record most for later viewing will be available.

My wife just convinced me that the Wingard “Carry-Out” dish w/base that we bought a couple of days ago in Manassas, won’t hack it. (It has a dual LNB.) There’s no way to make it stay on the ground! And I’ve seen too many loose dishes get blown over in stiff breezes. Plus, it’s so low to the ground that I’d be bending over to set it up and retrieve it. And my back’s arthritis would complain. So we’ll go back to swap this for the standard tripod, and tell the installer to bring a dish, after all. (With a Dual LNB.) Then we’ll clamp it to the tripod and be sort of mobile as we gather experience with it.

I’m already wondering if I’ll get the hang of the new remotes and all their features! And wondering where the heck those things will sit while we’re watching TV.

Steve
Old 05-09-2005, 05:47 AM   #19
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Tree counter,

Wow! $700??? You must be a seasoned satellite TV viewer!

I’m hoping the price for satellite Internet descends the same way. Already, it seems the temporary boost of DataStorm’s equipment went away in less than a year. Maybe by the time I feel we truly need constant Internet, (rather than just “wanting” it,) the prices will be much lower.

I’m going to be on the lookout for shops that’ll fish the coax where it needs to go in this rig. I think I might be able to do it myself, but I just know my wife would have to leave for the duration, as my vocalizations during strenuous chores tend to get blue.

Problems might come up because the end result of the runs will just have to be in the entertainment center. And that’s in a slide-out. Which is the reason I’d need to shop around for some great installers, and maybe avoid that chore, myself.

I still wonder why people can’t receive their local channels in any location. Aren’t we all tuning into the same satellite? If so, as long as you do, you’d think those signals would be in the data stream. I’m sure I’ll get that mystery figured out. I wouldn’t mind having UPN in my line-up. Not fond of WB, yet. But it might get to be fun, too.

Aha! Reading further into your post, you illuminated the mystery. “Spot Tec,” eh? Heck. I didn’t know they had the capability of aiming at one locale, without your having to tune into a different satellite. But, then, I’m still enthralled by all the business a “black box” like a Cisco router can do with hundreds of GigaByte channels at one time.

I’m sure that in Mexico, you’d need a slightly larger dish. The DirecTV web site still says that Alaskans require an eight-foot dish!

Until we’re good with the system, we won’t be hacking holes in the roof! But I look forward to pushing a button to save all that set-up work.

Steve
Old 05-09-2005, 03:54 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
DirectTV has three satellites(actually they have sent up a couple more for HD TV) parked in geosynchronous orbit. they are 22,200 miles up at 101,110 and 119W over the equator.Check the setup menu for the az and elevation where you are,Example here in Northern Ohio we are Az 215 Elevation 37. get a clear shot at the southern sky and you are in business, Local stations are by zip code.When you activate your Directtv they ask what your zip code is and those are the local stations you will get.( does not apply in Alaska) We have the Cleveland, Ohio local stations and if we are in Calif we still see the Cleveland local stations. I have not tried it but my guess is if you called a asked for a zip code change you would get those local stations. The dome setup is really neat as long as you are not parked under or near a tree. I've got a outside dish on a tripod and 100 feet of RG-6 if I need it..We always get a picture.