Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2005, 01:34 PM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Have not seen it, but heard there is a bike rack!

Good friends of ours just took delivery on a Montaineer 315 (sorry, don't know the full numbers)

They said that as of April 1st Mountaineer is putting on a bike rack, and changed the back window configuration from 3 windows to 1 window.

They said they heard that Montana is coming the same way.

Hope to see the unit this weekend.

Keystone says they read the forum, seems like they do!

Man, wish we could get a bike rack! Still working on that situation.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:45 PM   #2
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
It sure would have been nice to have had a receiver mounted on the rear on our 3400 RL when we bought it. After trying out a ladder bike rack, we decided to bite the bullet and have a receiver built on the rear of ours that will accomodate up to 4 bikes. Haven't used it yet, but it will sure make carrying bikes alot easier than on the ladder. It seemed whenever I wanted to get up on the roof, the ladder bike rack was in the way and had to be removed. That hassle will be no more.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:29 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I hope that Keystone is reading the discussions on this topic, i.e., the rear receiver hitch. It's important enough to us that it's a reason for switching to another brand when we're looking at another fiver. The receiver hitch could be available for a generator, storage box, bicycles, motorcycles, etc. Some people do already add them....once their out of warranty.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 02:00 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Judy,Glen,Gary and Carole

I am not sure they put on a receiver. I am not sure what they did, just that my friends said they have a bike rack.

Hold all thoughts, good or bad, till I get a chance to see this thing! I WILL report back!

Carol
Old 05-07-2005, 04:39 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
OKKKK, we have seen the new Mountaineer with the bike rack! We were VERY very IMPRESSED!!! This is so cool!

How to describe. OK, the Mountaineer has a square bumper. So, what you do is PULL the bumper out! yes, PULL it out! You pull the bumper out, and there it is! It sorta reminds me of those cargo trays in some of the basement units.

I took photos, but it is late and there is no way to post them tonight, but I will, soon.

There is a piece that you take out and put in a square receptacle to use to tie the bikes too, you could probably put 3 full size bikes on it, maybe more. There is a 200 pound limitation printed right on the bike rack.

There is no receiver, this is a very large tray, I imagine you could use it for coolers, lawn chairs, and other stuff, as long as you do not exceed the 200 pound limit.

You need to see it to appreciate it, and tomorrow I will try to get the photos posted.

I cannot see how this would work with the Montana and no bumper, so, that may be bad info, cannot say. I think our friends saw another Keystone product with this pull out bike rack on it.

I would call it innovative!

Photos coming along as soon as I am awake enough to post them!

Carol

Oh, that big back window, we like it!
Old 05-08-2005, 05:58 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, maybe the Montanas could have the same thing but the "bumper" would be recessed and covered with the fibreglass material when not extended?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 06:27 AM   #7
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
What Mountaineer did was use the same method they did on the Keystone Cougar on there 2004 models. It's basically a sliding rear bumper that pulls out and makes a platform.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 03:52 AM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Sorry it took me so long to get photos up, this is my first try at tinypic.com, not sure if I made the photo too small,

so, this is a photo of the bumper pulled out (not all the way, he was up against a dirt hill and this was as far as we could pull it out).

Old 05-11-2005, 04:02 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Next photo, shows the Keystone name, and note the weight limit. Also the "grooves" are where the bike tires fit. At the bottom of the photo, is a square piece of tubing, you take this out, and put it in the square matching hole in the middle (bottom of this photo) and that forms a support to stablize the bikes with.

Sorry, realize you cannot really read the Keystone and weight limit, have another photo I can try.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:07 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
OK, lets see how this looks

Old 05-11-2005, 04:17 AM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
To the far left, is the sliding part of the bike rack from underneath. The smaller square tubing slides into the larger. Stablizing jacks to the right. There is a pin (with clip) to hold the unit from sliding out if you are not using it.

Old 05-11-2005, 06:32 AM   #12
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Boy, sure whish I had one of these on my 3400RL.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:11 AM   #13
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I will second that on our 2955RL
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:21 AM   #14
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
That is so cool, wonder if they can modify our existing units? If anyone ever inquires or finds out PLEASE share with us.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote