Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2005, 11:58 AM   #1
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Slides won't close

Had the slides open and my 3 year old Grandson came along and pushed the button which opens or closes the slides. He must have pushed the button 3 or 4 times, do not know if he pushed the IN or if he pushed the OUT. Now the slides will not come in. The fluid level is at the level you would expect if the slides were closed. Seems like I remember a post indicating there was a breaker that would reset itself but not sure. How long to reset?
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks

Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 12:07 PM   #2
jim 59
Established Member

M.O.C. #603
mine has a fuse,Near the pump.
jim 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 12:23 PM   #3
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
A half inch square block near the pump is a circuit breaker. Wires are attached by about a #8 stud under a nut. Should reset in 30 seconds or so. If he was popping the switch on and off he fried it.

Get a volt meter. Check that 12 volts is available on both sides of the breaker. If not change it. Have someone try to move the slides in. If the motor starts the slides should move. If it doesn't start read up on how to retract the slides with an electric drill.

Let us know how you make out.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 12:47 PM   #4
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I cannot offer any help, but I dont think they should put these controls were they are located. I wish they would of put a cover on it at least. I have two granddaughters and this is what worries me...my husband is trying to put something together to hide this from the girls. I hope you get the slides to go back in.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:01 PM   #5
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Gruffy,
When I push the button to close, it makes the sound as if they were closing but there is no movement. I will have to check the voltage in the morning. You would almost think the slide is blocked from the way it seems. If the breaker was fried would I still get the sound from the motor? Would there be enough pressure to cause a hydraulic hose to burst? There is no sign of any fluid leaks and the fluid level seems to be OK. Thanks!

Jim59' There does not seem to be a fuse on this one.
Thanks!
Old 02-27-2005, 01:07 PM   #6
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by campbud

I cannot offer any help, but I don't think they should put these controls were they are located. I wish they would of put a cover on it at least. I have two granddaughters and this is what worries me...my husband is trying to put something together to hide this from the girls. I hope you get the slides to go back in.
Campbud,
I think it is recommend in the manual to close the valves near the slide pump so the little ones cannot cause the problem. Best to doublcheck me on that. Thanks so much!
Old 02-27-2005, 01:19 PM   #7
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
You have to get outside with the pump and see where the sound is coming from. If the pump is running and you have fluid (oil) the lightest slide should move... probably the bed room. You can't see the hydraulic cyliner there... its under the bed.

Check under one of the other slides. The hydraulic cylinder is a silver (chrome) rod with a couple of nuts on the threaded end. If you watch that and have someone try to open, then close the slides you should see some movement. That means you have at least some hydraulic pressure.

By the way... your sure the valves at the pump are open??? Little fingers never got in there too??
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:38 PM   #8
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
yes I have checked the valves, they are open. I will check tomorrow to make sure the noise I hear is coming from the pump.

The bedroom slide should come in first. What would the possibility be of the slide jumping off track and then when I try to retract the slide, it is unable to move because it is not hitting the gear?
Appreciate your help.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:25 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think if you lift the bed there's a couple (or a few) screws to remove and under the plywood you can then see the cylinder. Make sure nothing is jamming the mechanism, too. I have not removed that plywood panel so am not sure how many screws. Here's a picture someone posted of what you should see:

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 04:48 PM   #10
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Steve thanks for the picture, I looked earlier and saw the screws in question. First thing I will do in the morning is take a look at the cylinder ubder the bed. Thanks!
Old 02-28-2005, 02:05 AM   #11
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We went to Lowe's or Home Depot (can't remember which) and purchased an clear outlet cover box which is hinged at the top. Was very easy to install over our slide switch. Not only keeps the grandchildren from hitting this button, but if you come in when it's dark and reach for a switch you can tell the slide switch from the light switches. I agree with campbud this switch could be located in a better position, away from other light switches and above reaching level for younger ones.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:30 AM   #12
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Thunderman: Thank you for the tip on that ..I probably passed over that one.
Joyce H: I am going to get to Lowes and get one on these, my BIL was looking for one to but couldnt find one to fit. I will pick him up one too!! Thank you

campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:38 AM   #13
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
We got the slides closed today...the motor was working, no leaking hoses. When I tried to close the slides using a drill and a hex bit, that did not work.

Lippert returned my call and advised me to put a 9 volt battery against the terminals on the coil which faced the rear of the
trailer. Mine had 1 coil on the front and 1 on the back of the pump. Connected with the back one and did not matter which terminal on the battery was used. Then closed the slides.

The good part, Lippert is going to replace the motor and pump. There have been 2 revised units since my 5er was made. Seems the new ones are greatly improved. Certainly a pleasure to do business with a company like Lippert.

Thanks to all for your help!

Old 02-28-2005, 10:45 AM   #14
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Thunderman,

You wanta' tell 'em what we are going to do to fix your problem or am I gonna' hafta'?
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:50 AM   #15
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
OOPS!! I didn't read far enough! You already did!
Old 02-28-2005, 11:04 AM   #16
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
MIMF,

So, what gives with the fix? What did you do exactly? What pumps will this trick work on, what gave out on the pump?

I have a 2002 and want to know how to identify 1) If my pump potentially has this vulnerability, 2) What the vulnerability is, 3) What tends to trigger the problem, 4) how did this solution work????

Details man!! I always want to be able to "get home".

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:24 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Me, too, on our 2003.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:25 PM   #18
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
OK Guys, here goes.

Thunderman's coach is a 2003. The pump that is in it is a Haldex single rotation pump. On top of the pump is large aluminum block that has two elecro-magnetic coils. Those are the two black "knobs" that have two wires each hooked up to them. The two white wires, one hooked to a spad on each coil, are the grounds. The other two colored wires are positives that are connected to the wall switch inside the coach. That block is a directional valve that those two coils are mounted on.

The pump only turns in one direction. That direction is the same whether you are extending or retracting the rooms. The directional valve is shifting a spool inside that is diverting the flow of fluid to the ends of the hydraulic cylinders that perform the function you are asking the pump to do. Extend or retract the rooms.

If there is a motor or power failure, you will need to use a hand-held drill or screw gun with a 1/4" hex key tightened into the "chuck" of the the drill. Rotating the drill and the motor shaft and using a nine volt battery does the trick. You will need to gently pull the wires of the coil and touch the terminals of the battery to the spads of the coil shifts the spool inside the directional valve. If you need to extend the rooms, touch the battery to the coil on the front and to retract the rooms, touch the battery to the spads on the back. The socket for the motor shaft which accepts the 1/4" hex key is located on the end of the motor smack dead-center. Just pull off the red and silver cover over the hole and with a flashlight, you should see the hex socket on the end of the motor shaft.

Now, since Thunderman was having an issue, we are replacing and up-grading the pump to a Parker bi-rotational pump that is exactly the same pump used in the 2005 Montanas. It elliminates the directional valve and the electronics to operate it. Makes the world a better place! That way, if there is a power interuption to the pump, using the manual-override is simple. Just insert the hex key into the motor shaft socket and rotate the pump in one direction to extend the rooms and the other to retract the rooms.

The thing that everybody needs to remember is, our 866 number is on the tank of the pump. If you are in an emergency situation the number to my desk is 574-537-8900 ext 4303. I am constantly talking to someone on the phone so, you may have to leave a message. I WILL CALL YOU BACK! On weekends and after hours, I have a business cell phone. That number is 574-320-4974. It is with me every waking moment except when I'm in the boy's room, don't you know what I mean.

Now, since I just wrote enough to add the third page to this topic, I'm signing off. Any questions, all you gotta' do is call. If I don't have the answer, I can find someone who does.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:44 PM   #19
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
MIMF,

Thanks for the explanation. However, from looking at my pump (what I remember from looking) is that it has a pumping emergency retraction (kinda like what a bottle jack has instead of a rotary emergency retraction. Is there a pump like that or do I need to go back and look at it closer?

One final nagging question: Is this failure mode something that "just happens" now and then, or did the grandchild "playing" with the switch possibly induce or accelerate the potential for the failure (or example repeatedly switching from in & out a lot of times close to gether)?

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:31 PM   #20
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Eric,

Reviewing back at your last post, you said your coach is a 2002. Therefore it does not have Lippert slide systems in it. You mention a "bottle jack" emergency pump. That sounds to me like it is a Dewald system. If the rooms have a series of cables and pulleys under it, they are definitely Dewald systems and I won't be able to help you much.

Everybody, let me interject an idea. If you want to make your coach "child proof" simply install a switch between the battery and the pump motor. It will need to be rated at 100 amps because that is what the pump motor is rated.