Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2004, 08:20 AM   #1
Montana_1990

M.O.C. #1990
Please help a beginner.

Montana Owners:

My wife and I are shopping for a 5th wheel trailer. We have ordered a GMC 2500 Sierra HD truck with a turbodiesel that will arrive shortly.We will add airbags. We have narrowed our choices on a fifth wheel to the Montana 2995RL and a comparable Jayco Designer. When we looked at the 2995RL my wife said,"this is it". I would appreciate hearing from anyone who can give me advice concerning this trailer and any experience they have had with Jayco. We are not planning this purchase until after the new year, so we have much time to research and listen to advice from people like you. How happy are you with your Montana? Any regrets? Any problems to watch out for? I am reading books. We are new to RV'ing so we are eager to learn. Any comments and/or advice from owners of Montana's will be greatly appreciated. How about the "towability" of longer models? Any problems?

Sincerely, Dennis & Marian Spletstoser
2724 Boulder Drive
Burnsville, MN 55337

Montana_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 08:51 AM   #2
Southstl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19
Welcome to the Form Dennis and Marian:

We went through the same decision making you folks are going through. After being able to check both units sitting side by side, we selected the Montana. The wife liked the floor plan better, and I liked the construction and, fit and finish of the Montana better. Now, this is not saying the Jayco is not a good unit, they are, but we selected the Montana and have no regrets.

I know my reply is vague, but it looks to me like you folks are down to 2 very good units to choose from. More folks will be here soon with more information. So feel free to ask what ever question you have about the Montana.
Southstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 10:36 AM   #3
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
We chose a Montana 3295RK (measures to 35'10" or so). We are happy with it, but whichever you choose, be prepared to have some warranty items to that will need to be addressed. The laborers that all the mfgs have may be good persons, but quality control is always an issue. One suggestion I would make is to see if you can find an acquiantance who owns the same brand of fifth wheel do the pre-pick-up inspection along with you. It is quite likely that he/she will be able to help notice any of the items that the dealer should address before you actually take possession of the unit.

I also have the a GMC 2500HD truck, crew cab, short box, Allison, Duramax(though mine is a 2003). We have pulled our unit about 12,000 miles since we got the truck and fifth wheel, and have been VERY satisfied with the pulling capacity, etc. I have not added airbags or any other modifications, and we have negotiated the mountains of Arizona and New Mexico with no problems. We Winter in AZ, and summer in our home in Wisconsin.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 11:24 AM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We love our new Montana but it is going to have a hard time living up to our old Jayco. We bought a 3510 Designer in 1997 and used it a lot including 5 trips out west from Michigan and had no problems with it whatsoever. That doesn't mean that the next one off the line wasn't a piece of c**p but ours was great. I don't think you can go wrong with either one, just find a good dealer in case you do have a few problems.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 01:35 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hi Dennis & Marian. In my opinion you did the right thing in researching before buying. And asking questions in this forum is a really good idea. If you have looked around the forum a bit you'll see we're not a bit shy about pointing out the warts that Montana has, as does every brand. You'll also find that Keystone is tops at standing behind their product. Montana has been number one in sales for three consecutive years, in North America. There must be a reason for that.

We also like the Jayco Designer. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. If we were in your shoes I think we'd agree both are quality rigs and base the remainder of our decision on which rig best fits our needs, has the floorplan we like, etc.

As for the airbags on your 2500. That's a good idea but many have reported not needing them for towing their Montanas. If you have the option you might try towing awhile and then decide if you want the bags. The bags do a good job of leveling your truck if you find the rear end sagging a bit. The truck you will do a fine job for you.

Good luck and please let us know your decision, even if it's for something other than a Montana. If you can get to Indiana in late September, check out the topic in the forum about the Rally we're having. It's our first ever and will offer a factory tour. Might be a good chance to chat with Montana owners about their likes and dislikes, etc.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 02:20 PM   #6
Montana_1990

M.O.C. #1990
Thanks much for all of the input from all of you fine folks. My wife has repeatdly said, "you know which one I want", so we are leaning toward the Montana choice.We will order a 2005 early in the new year and start our RV'ing in the spring. It will be parked most of the summer in ND on Lake Sakakawea and then some traveling South after Christmas. I have much time to learn and will appreciate all the info I can get. Thanks again.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:37 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dennis and Marian,
I would have to say try towing without the airbags first. I am towing the 3400RL with my 2500HD with the Duramax and do not have airbags. My truck squats approx 1.5inches when all hooked up and ready to roll. I know the truck you have purchased will handle the 2995RL with no trouble at all. Congrats on the truck and good luck on the trailer..
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 07:03 PM   #8
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
You have ordered a great truck. I think you will be happy with it. Regarding air bags, they may help the truck ride level, but they don't increase the weight ratings. You will need to watch the pin weight with the 2500HD, especially if you travel with more than two people or add alot of extras to your truck. I recommend that you get actual pin weights on any trailer you are seriously considering. Don't go by the published literature as the Keystone units are alot heavier than they advertise.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 05:20 AM   #9
Montana_1990

M.O.C. #1990
Thanks again for all the replies. My thinking on the airbags is as follows. We have ordered the 4 X 4 2500HD. We will spend some of our winter in MN and the four wheel drive is essential as far as I am concerned. The specs from GMC list a maximum 5th wheel dry pin weight of 1840 lb. All the trailers we are looking at exceed this maximum by at least 100 lbs or more. I have been told that this maximum exists to prevent losing steering ability and stability of the vehicle by having too much weight in the box. I know that the airbags will not increase my total weight carrying capacity. They will however, take weight off the springs and put it on the axle, thus giving the truck better steering and better stability. The bags are between the frame and the axle, so the weight is taken off the springs and transferred directly to the axle. I have been told that I can exceed the recommended maximum pin weight without compromising steering or stability with airbags. The mechanics at my GMC dealership told me this and I would appreciate any comments from anyone with respect to this logic.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:03 AM   #10
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Where at along Lake Sakakawea? I live 20 miles north of the Lake in Tioga. Hope the water comes up some.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 06:09 AM   #11
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
You will love the 2955 RL. My very first camper was a Jayco pop up and that was longgggg ago. I have been kind of partial to Jayco's ever since but the dealer nearby didn't seem to act like he wanted my business very badly and a friend recommended the Montana after he had owned a couple of them. I am glad he did and am well satisfied with the Montana trailer and the dealer.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 07:36 AM   #12
Montana_1990

M.O.C. #1990
Virgil: Don't know where we will park the 5th wheel, am on a waiting list for a spot in an RV community called camp and fish at deepwater bay. We fished there last July and found the water to be clear and the fishing excellent. Had fished near Newtown earlier and found muddy water and no fish biting.. Another posssibility would be Indian Hills Resort and campground. I will visit this resort this fall and check it out. We definitely like this area of the resevoir best. Yes, the water is low and I firmly beleive we need more water in the lake.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:12 AM   #13
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
LOTS of great info on the Forum...do a search for "pin weights" and/or "hitch installation", etc...

If possible, make sure the hitch is (preferably) mounted just slightly forward of dead center over the rear axle. That will help with the steering situation. A slightly forward position transfers a tiny portion of the load to the front axle, which helps with the steering. Never let it be mounted aft of dead center over the rear axle.

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 04:26 PM   #14
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Dennis I haen't been in a 2955, I talked with an owner of one & he loved it except his had a hide a bed sofa & when it was out you couldn't get out without climbing over. I don't know if they corrected this or not. Our last 5ver was a Jayco Designer. Didn't have any problems with it. Just too small for us. Went looking for another one & found the Montanas on the same lot & fell in love the 3575.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 08:29 PM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dennis,
I was reading a post you wrote earlier stating your truck has a max pin weight of 1860lbs. If I read your post right I would have to say someone is feeding you a line. I have the 2004 Chevy Crewcab shortbed 4x4 Duramax with Allison tranny and I have a max kingpin weight of 3,000lbs. The 3500 truck will go up to 3,500lbs. Your GMC will should not have any trouble towing the 2955 with kingpin weight of 1,980lbs. I am at approx 2,350lbs on my kingpin on my 3400RL and the truck does very well with no airbags. The set up you are looking at will do very well for you.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 04:25 AM   #16
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Go with the Montana, an unhappy wife isn't someone you want to tangle with. Just kidding.

Anyway, we LOVE our Montana, have stayed in it 10 weekends since the end of April and can't get enough of it. Like others have said, expect to have warranty issues with both units but we know that Keystone stands behind their products, just find a good dealer. Good luck!!!!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dmsplets

Thanks much for all of the input from all of you fine folks. My wife has repeatdly said, "you know which one I want", so we are leaning toward the Montana choice.We will order a 2005 early in the new year and start our RV'ing in the spring. It will be parked most of the summer in ND on Lake Sakakawea and then some traveling South after Christmas. I have much time to learn and will appreciate all the info I can get. Thanks again.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 04:28 AM   #17
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
Here is a link that gives some of the Duramax/GMC specs for trailering.

http://www.duramaxdiesel.com/05_trailering/index.htm

To the best of my knowledge, this is good, valid information.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 10:21 AM   #18
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Dennis, I have a 2955RL, traveled aproximate 5,000 miles with really no problems. The dealer replaced one lock on one storage door and one cabinet door was repaired. Tow with a F-250 7.3 diesel and no problems. I looked at the Jayco Designor and the Montana very carefully and while the Jayco was nice I felt the Montana was constructed in a stronger manner. As mentioned in a previous post, the sofa bed is to close to the cabinets when extended. I reversed
the sofa and the dining table locations and solved that problem.
Good luck with your selection.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 10:34 AM   #19
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Dennis, I have a 2955 Rl when my wife walked in and sat down in the unit at the dealer she said this is the one. This is a great unit and we have no need for a larger one. I pull with a 2002 GMC 2500HD 8.1 lomg bed no need for air bags and no problem with pin weight I checked with Eng at the GMC web site. it will tow like a dream.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 01:20 PM   #20
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We have had a Jayco popup, Jayco trailer, Komfort 5th wheel, and now Montana fifth wheel. We love the 2955RL and have had no major problems with it so far. It is a 2005 model and we got it at the end of June.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote