Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2006, 03:32 PM   #1
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
Return Air on a 3400RL

Was checking why not getting a lot of air flow out of the heat registers. Real strong in bedroom and weak in the rest of the unit. Got to checking in the storage compartment and found that the cover hiding the pump and furnace. It is open at the top therefore drawing return air in the storage compartment plus inside the living area. Has anybody else noticed this? Was thinking about sealing it off in the storage compartment. What do you all think?

lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I equalized the air flow in our 3400 by putting in adjustable floor louvers (Lowe's) We keep the bedroom closed and it smoothes out the flow to the other three. As for blocking off the air flow to the compartment area, this is part of your setup to keep the lines from freezing in that area, not sure it's a good idea... I one way louver in back of the 1st step in the hallway would also be a great improvement...
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:43 PM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Larry, No idea what your 3400RL has for configuration. Just keep in mind the furnace has a basic design criteria where it can manage a small range of plenum static pressure. This is further sensorized by a flow switch on the outlet side of the unit to prevent over-heating the heat exchanger. Any changes you attempt you should be aware that it might create a condition where it shuts off on you. I think others have installed adjustable floor louvers like JimF to ballance the flow...and yes you need to let some flow go to the underbelly to keep pipes/tanks from freezing.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:33 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Larry, I have noticed the same thing and plan to seal it off as well as add more insulation. That is what causes the cold draft coming from under the stair steps. The furnace draws it's air from the inside of the unit by way of the opening under the stairs so sealing around the top of that panel will not affect the furnace operation. The duct work that supplies the bed room is what heats the basement.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:16 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dennis, I'm not sure if the 2005 has the return under the step or not, like yours and mine do. Larry?

I also installed adjustable louvers and shut down the one in the bedroom. It wouldn't stay shut well so I put some foamboard inside the louvers to block off 2/3 of that register. It helps considerably but I'd still like more airflow downstairs than we're getting. It's good enough that it kept us warm at 8 degrees F but I'd think the furnace would run less if there were more airflow in the rear section where the thermostat is located.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:21 PM   #6
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
8 degrees, wow, why aren't you in south somewhere where it's 58 or 68. I get down to 60 and start heading south for a warmer climate... goodness gracious...
Old 12-22-2006, 05:38 PM   #7
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45

Steve

Yes the 2005 has a return under the bottom step. I also have the register in the bedroom 2/3 blocked off. I still need more air in the living area. The one by the entrance door has very little air coming out of it. May have to do as some of you suggested and put adjustable louvers in. Thanks for the replies.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 05:38 AM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Only the late 2005's 3400s have the return air under the steps. The early 2005's have it in the kitchen. It was one of those mid year changes. I think it was changed at about the same time the placement of the toilet was changed.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 03:51 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JimF

8 degrees, wow, why aren't you in south somewhere where it's 58 or 68. I get down to 60 and start heading south for a warmer climate... goodness gracious...
Alas, Jim, we have failed miserably in attempting to get at least one of our kids to take our grandkids and move somewhere warmer... And where the kids and grandkids are is where we will be for the holidays.

This was a very mild Nov/Dec, more like what I remember from when we used to live in this area year round. The prior three Nov/Dec were far colder and wetter. Last year we had ten or eleven days where it never got above 14 and the lowest low was 5 below. And we had 12 inches of snow on the ground for the duration. This was a much better winter!

We head SE in two days!

Sue, I guess they changed it back. Ours has it under the steps. I wonder why the switch. Sue, I think your furnace is located in the peninsula, isn't it? Ours is forward from the pantry, aft of the convenience center. So that's probably the reason the return air moved around.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:42 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Steve, you're heading SE??? I thought you guys headed to the RGV? Isn't that SW of you?

We are getting cold here tonight... 45. May have to run a little propane. Not much, though. Then next few days getting back to where Cheryl likes it - 73, 80, 80, 77. "Pool days" she calls them...

My furnace runs just fine as is. I haven't gotten the louvered vent covers yet. Just throw a pillow sham over the BR vent to keep it cooler there at night. JimF, I was thinking of that one way louver set up (like a dryer vent) under that first step also. I would probably not do anything until I was in danger of spending some time in actual "cold" weather. Ave temps here for this time of year is 72/51. Furnace is not overused here...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:35 AM   #11
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Dave, we are in cold weather, at least to me, it go down to 50 last night.. Time to head further south... Burrrrrrr.. Soon as this blankety blank stick house sells we are heading to Key West... I did cold weather for 50 plus years of my life, now it's warm or head further south..
Old 12-28-2006, 04:53 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lawrenceb42106

Was checking why not getting a lot of air flow out of the heat registers. Real strong in bedroom and weak in the rest of the unit. Got to checking in the storage compartment and found that the cover hiding the pump and furnace. It is open at the top therefore drawing return air in the storage compartment plus inside the living area. Has anybody else noticed this? Was thinking about sealing it off in the storage compartment. What do you all think?
Hi Larry,
Don't worry about the space in the basement, as soon as the air equalizes, it is a moot point. There are seals around the 2 side doors, the front bulkhead is sealed, so after 2 minutes or so, you are just pulling from the living space.
Have a goodun!
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:37 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JimF

Dave, we are in cold weather, at least to me, it go down to 50 last night.. Time to head further south... Burrrrrrr.. Soon as this blankety blank stick house sells we are heading to Key West... I did cold weather for 50 plus years of my life, now it's warm or head further south..
Jim, I feel your pain. On both the blankety blank house not selling, and the cold weather after 50+ years...
Old 12-29-2006, 11:47 AM   #14
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Dave, was thinking about posting a picture of my unit on MOC, then decided to save my time and just reference yours..sure looks like mine, so that's close enough.

I see your in FL, we lived in Palm Bay until we were hurricaned out a couple of years ago, we should have just stayed.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:06 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Always happens that way, Jim. Great weather here now... Record temps expected actually.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:25 AM   #16
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
The weather guessers just said it will be 81 degrees here in Palm Bay today, when Mama gets back from shopping we will put the boat in the Indian river for a little fishing.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 10:03 AM   #17
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
sounds like a dig to me.. 81 sounds good right about now.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:47 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dsprik, we did the RGV last winter. This winter it's the east coast. Next winter is Arizona (most likely). The year after that is Vicki's turn to choose, as is this year. She chooses beach. I pick desert.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:53 PM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Steve, beach and desert are the same thing. Just have to walk further to get wet with the one...