Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2006, 11:20 AM   #1
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
UNIQUE STORAGE FOR TRAVELING

We have discussed this before but with so many new members and many new to RVing, I thought this topic might help some of those members. I also find in talking with people at campgrounds that are new to RVing, many do not know some of the little tricks.[list][*] For instance many things can ride in the shower. Plants for one. Be sure to cover the bottom of shower so it doesn't get scratched.[*]Things that are soft can ride in the microwave. Bread, rolls, chips, etc. This also keeps the plate from moving around and possibly breaking.[*] Put a clean liner in the waste basket and put the coffee pot, blender, toaster, etc in there.[*]The oven can be used to store cookie sheets, muffin pans or whatever.[*]There is space under the couch and behind the recliners.[*] There is also room under the table and chairs for items to ride.[*]If you have linens in a kitchen drawer and there is extra room, wrap glasses in the linens. This is where we carry our wine glasses. I can't stand wine in a plastic cup unless it is free.[*] On models that have a desk, there is a lot of room under the desk.[*]If your model has nightstand shelves in the bedroom, there is space under them. We store the electric heater on one side and the Wave radio on the other.[*] Also things ride better in the cupboards if there is no wiggle room so put extra rolls of toilet paper and paper towels there to fill in the blank spots.

These are just a few thoughts I had. Anyone have some others?
Happy trails............................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:35 AM   #2
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Thanks Sue and Ed, those are really good tips.

Phill & Gladys
Sometimes me sits and thinks - sometimes me just sits.
06 GMC 2500HD Duramax 4x4
06 Montana 3400RL
Bichon - CEO
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Thank you for this thread Parrothead...it serves as a reminder that new people keep coming through forums and what might be old news to some, is very good info to other newer members.

I have a handy travel tip that I use. The bathroom cabinet with all the little stuff? Every time you land somewhere and open it up it turns into an avalanche?

Use these little guys...I haven't had any surprises since using them.
It all stays put, you can see what's inside, and it's easy to get at everything...

...and don't forget to secure the little tv in the bedroom. A flying tv isn't a pretty thing. Those refrigerator thingys ()come in handy...

327RKS
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:42 PM   #4
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Ozzie - I see your picture of the cabinet and contents but don't see what you refer to as "these little guys." that keep things from falling out. Maybe you refer to tension bars across the openings and posted the wrong photo? Or else I just need to clean my glasses? (:

Mike & Ronni Sorrell
Bakersfield, Calif.
'06 3295RK
'03 GMC Duramx/Allison,4 door, long bed, supersprings,starboard running boards LineX
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:51 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
It is the little white plastic tubs. We use these also in different size as well as baskets (wire and wicker). Anything that keeps things from moving around works.
Happy trails..........................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
Old 08-21-2006, 07:14 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dont forget about the storage bins under the cushions of the dinning room chairs. A great place to hide some of those valuable items.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:35 PM   #7
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
These are helpful "Tricks Of The Trade" that I will be using. My bride is very good at packing and finding all the nooks and cranies (how do spell that?) crany's...? oh well.
I usually leave the packing to her.

Thanks Parrothead for thinking about us new-B's Well... soon to be newbies.

Blue.

'06 F350 SD King Ranch CC LB 6.0L PSD FX4 4x4
Still shopping for the Monty !

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/gizmotimetempbig/language/www/US/WA/Bellingham.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Bellingham, Washington Forecast" height=40 width=467[/img]

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/TX/Cypress.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Cypress, Texas Forecast" height=100 width=150[/img]

Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 02:07 AM   #8
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Good post and in my lifetime I have spent a fortune developing a taste for cheap wine and I don't like it in a plastic glass. We have been wrapping our stem glassware in dish towels for many years

Actually I have been making my own wine for 20 years and that is one of the reasons we love travel in the USA. Good wine is still affordable. Up here in Taxada, rotgut goes for 8 bucks a litre and by the looks of things, 87 Octane won't be far behind.

When I travel in Canada, I keep my wine bottles in a box in the basement. I have cloth sleeves I pull over the wine bottles to stop them from rattling around and I keep the bottles tight by extra rolls of paper towels.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:19 AM   #9
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Sue,

What a GREAT thread! Since I am new to all RV style of life, any and all tips are very welcome. I would much rather learn from the pros that already have been doing this than reinventing the wheel.

So where do you keep this trash can when you are traveling and where do you keep it when camping?

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:25 AM   #10
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
I put a plastic cup or glass between the wine glasses (turned upside down) in the cupboard to keep them from hitting each other and breaking, so far that has worked--I only have two kitchen drawers. and of course I have that rubber stuff with holes in it on the bottom of the shelf. I keep the trach can in the drawer in the pantry that it came in but it was such a weird size it took up too much room. I had a bin from an old paper shreder that fit perfectly and then I still have the back half of the drawer for other things--a basket with cleaning supplies.

Paul and Jan Kelpe
Omaha, NE
2005 Mountaineer 298RLS
2005 Chevy Silverado HD 2500 4x4 ext cab with Duramax/Allison

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/NE/Omaha.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Omaha, Nebraska Forecast" height=100 width=150[/img]

jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:51 AM   #11
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Most of the newer model Montanas have a big drawer that has a good sized garbage can inside the drawer. We absolutely love this feature because the garbage can is completely out of sight and yet so easy to use. Most people agree with us on this but I have read some posts where people did not like the big garbage can drawer. Different Strokes.

There is space behind the garbage can to store a big roll of kitchen catcher bags.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2006 Montana 2955RL
Old 08-22-2006, 05:00 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
This is more for the basement but could be used in the cabinets in the coach.
  • Peg board! I use peg board on the walls of the basement for tools and an assortment of other things. For the forward walls must any peg hook will work. However for the rear walls I use the hooks shaped like a J. This keeps stuff on the hooks when braking. For those that have compartments with the doors that swing open from the side you could also use peg borad on the inside of the doors.
  • The men will remember how we stored things in the stick house between the rafters. Same principal on a smaller scale in the RV's basement.
  • 4" or 6" PVC tubing under the rig. Great for storing sewer hose, fishing poles, flag poles.
  • Sometime I'll take a picture of my workshop. My workshop is the front compartment where the battery is located

For the newbie full timers, just use your imagination. You'd be surprised at how creative you wil become when trying to find storage for that stuff you just had to keep when you sold the stick house.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0

Click on either of the above for a larger image
We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:33 AM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Colleen
We have the 3400. Moved the turntable over and that left a space for the trash can to travel. It can be reached from both sides. I like to keep it there but Ed usually sets it out at the end of the kitchen (LR side) but inside the kitchen.
Happy trails.....................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
Old 08-22-2006, 06:13 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glenn, I'm interested in seeing your workshop and what you carry up there.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:43 PM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Everything Steve, From a half inch hammer drill, a 7 1/4" circular saw, a jig saw, a reciprocating saw, a Roto Zip, a full set of tools with tool box, A 6 or 7 drawer tackle box loaded with all sorts of electrical stuff (both 110V & 12V), TV cable connectors, and other small stuff. Also have 6 plastic boxes of nuts, bolts screws, etc, a complete drill bit index up to 1/2", a 12 ton bottle jack and the list goes on and on.
Oh yeah, all my cleaning supplies from drying towels to rags and brushes to protectants to cleaners and polishes.
And of course more peg board.

Another great place for storing stuff are the compartments containing the propane cylinders. In the right side compartment I keep insecticides both spray and powder, my webster, as well as OFF insect repellent. On the left side I keep spray cans of paint. Even got a bottle of ammonia in there. Sure you have to move stuff when taking a tank out for recharging but what the heck it ain't no big deal. Felt those 2 compartments already have a hazardous material (propane) stored in them so why not add a few more.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:33 PM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Let's see Glenn you are in Florida -warm to hot. You said you eat out a lot. Soooooo how much propane do you use? I once suggested to Ed we keep something in one of those compartments. At the time we were in No. Calif. and having to watch the pipes didn't freeze. He gave me one of those looks. So I've never mentioned it again. I think if you are refilling every 3 or 4 days, and it is cold, you might lighten up the propane storage area a little. JMHO
Happy trails................................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
Old 08-22-2006, 06:47 PM   #17
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I removed the security box from under the bed , put it in a secret place. I then removed the plywood sheet covering the hydraulic cylinder that moves the bedroom slide. There is a lot of storage beside that cylinder. I am going to cut that plywood and install hinges on the front part. You will lift the bed up and then lift this plywood trap door to access the storage space.
Then I will buy some plastic boxes that are the right side to sit beside the cylinder. I have to make sure that the moving slide will not touch anything I do but this will be my foot locker for all our shoes and boots and other stuff.

I wanted to check the hydraulics under the bed because Ozz had found his hoses rubbing on a sharp edge. I was lucky. My hoses and wiring are all neat and tidy but I want to use some of that hidden space under there. I will post some pics when I am done.

I also built a shelf over the drop down section of the basement in front of both doors. This protects the valve handles from damage as well as making the basement floor wider and more user friendly. These shelves are flush with the existing floor and have storage under them for my wooden ramps for levelling the trailer. I am going to paint them black so they look like OEM .

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2006 Montana 2955RL
Old 08-23-2006, 12:26 AM   #18
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

I removed the security box from under the bed , put it in a secret place. I then removed the plywood sheet covering the hydraulic cylinder that moves the bedroom slide. There is a lot of storage beside that cylinder. I am going to cut that plywood and install hinges on the front part. You will lift the bed up and then lift this plywood trap door to access the storage space.
Then I will buy some plastic boxes that are the right side to sit beside the cylinder. I have to make sure that the moving slide will not touch anything I do but this will be my foot locker for all our shoes and boots and other stuff.
I wanted to check the hydraulics under the bed because Ozz had found his hoses rubbing on a sharp edge. I was lucky. My hoses and wiring are all neat and tidy but I want to use some of that hidden space under there. I will post some pics when I am done.
That will be my next project.

Quote:
quote:I also built a shelf over the drop down section of the basement in front of both doors. This protects the valve handles from damage as well as making the basement floor wider and more user friendly. These shelves are flush with the existing floor and have storage under them for my wooden ramps for levelling the trailer. I am going to paint them black so they look like OEM .
My answer to the same problem...

These wire racks work great. Cut it to fit and your done. It is not screwed down as the weight of the stuff on top of it holds it in place.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:32 AM   #19
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Let's see Glenn you are in Florida -warm to hot. You said you eat out a lot. Soooooo how much propane do you use? I once suggested to Ed we keep something in one of those compartments. At the time we were in No. Calif. and having to watch the pipes didn't freeze. He gave me one of those looks. So I've never mentioned it again. I think if you are refilling every 3 or 4 days, and it is cold, you might lighten up the propane storage area a little. JMHO
Happy trails...............................
Yeah if I was refilling that often I would propbaly find other places to store that stuff. In a whole year we might use 3 or 4 tanks. We eat out most every breakfast and dinner and when we do eat in it's either store bought hoagies or burgers/hot dogs made on the grill.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:21 AM   #20
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Don,

I would love to see your pictures of your new additions to your Montana. Maybe I can get hubby inspired about adding things if he sees pictures.

Anyone else have some great tips to post about how you use your storage in your pantry and cabinets?

I hate trying to invent the wheel when someone has already done it.

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote