Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2006, 09:00 PM   #21
labouttejr
Established Member

M.O.C. #5936
This site helped us in making our choice of which brand to chosse, it gave us many things to look at, and consider, and more insight and better question to ask our dealer.

The right dealer is make a big difference. Our dealer in Colorado, when recieves a rv from the manfuacture has their mechanic go thur it inch by inch and test every thing before it goes on the lot. From reading this form we asked about the underbelly an other things that seemed to be common issues. They showed us what changes they made may once it get there so you do not have these problems. They also told us after a couple of uses if we find anything let them know. Our dealer is very good.

labouttejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:43 PM   #22
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
The most important thing to remember about any rv is, THEY ARE MADE BY MAN. There is going to be quality issues on any rv that is on the road today. These rigs take a beatin' rolling down the road, while some are better than others, again they are going to have some trouble along the way. I can say now that I am going on my 3rd year with my 3400RL, the few "minor" problems I had were fixed by my dealership with no questions asked. Best of luck on your purchasing decision...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:36 PM   #23
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
We bought our Montana from Holiday RV in Hillsboro, OR. They are a part of the Gresham RV Group which also has dealers in Greshman and McMinnville. Don't think much of them. They never repaired most of the write-ups we had and their last service magr. was a pain and didn't listen to what we were trying to tell him. Our Montana has been nothing but one problem after the other--but it must be our fault for full-timing in it. I'd go for the Cardinal based on our experience.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:23 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sky...Right the rv's are built by man and that is the problem your tuck is buily by mostly machine and is of far better quality...what does that tell you?????You can have just as much trouble with a Cardinal. We are about 350 miles into our 1k trip with our brand new 3400 and it is performing flawlessly.Everything works perfectly and it was not shaken to death on I75 North in Mich. And It draws attention in every C.G we enter..Oh..they say..ypu are that "big" unit that pulled in. We should be charging for the tours.. We are in Blyth Canada now woth @ 700 other FCRV units...Many Montana's we are running out of MOC cards.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:25 AM   #25
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,
Glad to hear your coach is doing well on your 1st voyage! Enjoy the trip...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:13 PM   #26
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
After 1 year fulltiming in a 3400RL, I have to say it is the worst RV except for all the rest.

They all have problems. We will be fulltiming for another 2 years then will probably sell the 3400 and never buy another RV. Does that sound bad? And I hate yard work, anything to do with a house, etc. I guess we will just rent an apartment.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 05:44 PM   #27
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
Hi Gpa Dick...we live in Central Oregon, but bought our 3400 in Dayton - also Gresham RV is the parent company of the Dayton site - so depending on where you are exactly - you could go either way. Our experience with the purchae was first rate....that said...the first service to fix the "little things" and they were little considering what we hear some people say about any RV...anyway, it went well. But we had some things installed, so they couldn't get to everything, and we had to go back a 2nd time. That didn't go as well, new guy on the payroll, unfavorable language written on the work order.which we saw as we compared what they said they did to our own list...however,.the guy who did our walk through with us came over and we told him we were a bit (I put lightly) displeased with that visit. He took over, and re-did everything or checked it on the list...he is following up on a couple of things the new guy screwed up on. The Service Manager at least apologized for the bad service and said it would not happen again - to anyone...we had dealt with Gresham RV many years ago on a motor home, and had good service, so felt better, but we sent a letter to the General Manager and Site Manager, just the same...they need to hear from us what happens in their Service Departments and how things are handled.

All in all, we are very pleased with the 3400, and we were VERY PLEASED with our 3295, so to trade for the 3400 was a very big step, and one not taken lightly. Good luck, and if you want to get in touch - check our profile - feel free to call or email direct. We also have a Montana dealer here in Bend, but he didn't have 3400's when we were looking. We will probably go there in the future for anything we need attended to. We bought our 3295 here, and had good service from the local representative.

Chaser
Mike & Evy Orlob
Retired, Rv'ers, Race Fans
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 05:42 AM   #28
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Interestingly (or maybe not), we drove from the Sacramento area to Gresham's Portland dealership to buy our 2955RL. At the time, they negotiated a substantially better price than the two local dealers (one 35 miles away, the other about 50 miles away. Of course the sale was our only experience with them and it went well. We spent a couple of nights at a Portland RV Park and discovered the table lamp and landing gear crank were missing. Those were quickly replaced.

We only learned later (perhaps not enough research) that RV dealers, unlike car dealers, do not automatically honor the manufacturer's warranty. Luckily, except for some very minor items and the replacement of the remote thermostat, our Montana has not had any problems that we haven't caused (not warranty issues). Now that I understand the dealer/warranty process, I think I might have bargained harder locally. However, we had a great trip through Oregon...
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 05:49 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Oh we pleased with the 3400..even though the 1/2 time oven is now crapping out.We do not have the ..door won't open problem, we have the door won't close problem and the timer has a mind of its own.The vendor takes the blame for the low quality product and Keystone takes the blame for buying the low quality product.. Strange thing..there are many Montana's here and we are searching all of them out. We ask them...how do you like your Monyana..then do you belong to the MOC. We have talked to 7 Montana owners so far..none of them belonged to the MOC and NONE of them had anything good to say about their Montana's or Keystone.We are hesitant to talk to anyone else. A couple were ready to do the attorney thing..most of it sounded like a bad dealer..and NO support from Montana..I do not understand... Why are , in general MOC members happy campers and non MOC members not.. There are more of them out there than there are us...it does not compute???
Old 07-08-2006, 06:36 AM   #30
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Rich, I guess they should all join the forum so they can be 'happy campers', too! Does this forum guarantee happiness?? NOT!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:04 AM   #31
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I think Montana is making better stuff now than a few years ago. We had looked at Keystone products a few years ago and I was not impressed. My 06 2955RL has been flawless and our 44 day trip was so sweet but I realize any product can and will make enemies.

Take the Ford 6.0 PSD, the vast majority of owners love that engine. My experience with my 04 6.0
left me hating that engine and I always will. So far I love my V10 but I know a lot of people that hate the V10 so once again, we base our opinions of products by our own personal experience with these things and that is what makes the world such an interesting place.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:51 AM   #32
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rich did you try polling Cardinal or Nu Way people? Might find a similar stiuation... Those that have a support group vs those that don't (and did no previous research on Rving in general before they jumped into this lifestyle...)
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 06:54 PM   #33
Gpa_Dick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5960
Well, I took Mary (my wife) to see the Cardinal 34QS and the Montana 3400RL. We were both more impressed with the Montana. To me, the quality seemed to be better on the Montana.

The salesman at Gresham RV was very helpful and certainly not a pressure salesman. The BBB shows a couple of complaints in the past three years that have been resolved. Large dealership with what looked like a well equiped service department.

We are getting closer to a purchase.

Thank you all for these comments. It does get scary with such an investment that you don't want the thing falling apart in a short period of time. Unfortunately, I expect to have a few little tweaks after I take possession. I just don't want it serious and find myself out in the boonies with it.

Thanks again for your responses. Sorry there are a few having such serious problems that they wouldn't buy from Keystone again. I know there are Chevy people that would never buy a Ford and Ford people that would never buy a Chevy. Just a preference I guess.

Dave (Sprik)....you are getting very close to that delivery date. Did you factory order yours because they didn't have the options you wanted? Here they have pretty much all of the options. The options the coach doesn't have they can do at the shop except the dual pane windows.
Gpa_Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:51 AM   #34
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dick, we ordered our 3400 on April 24th. We had the bid sheet made out in March. We joined the MOC July 31 of last year. The information furnished by the MOC (and the support) helped us determine exactly what we wanted in our new "home". As we were going to FT, this was important.

Also, by bidding out to several Midwest dealers (with info gathered from many here on the MOC), we got a price $4,000 under anything on any lot, or at any show. It helped that another MOCer was also ordering from this dealer at the same time. We received a "volume discount", so to speak.

We ended up buying 326 miles away, as I could not justify the $4,000 difference from my "local" dealer. This "local" dealer was not impressive throughout my several contacts with him. He had a BAD reaction to my request for him to "come close" to the lowest price I had gotten, which instantly turned me off. Then, through the MOC, I received some additional negative info on this dealer, which sealed the deal.

Cheryl and I went down and met with the Town & Coutry RV dealership owner, Bill Tea. We were VERY impressed with Bill. We spent a couple hours with him at a RV show. Rich and Helen (Richfaa) also there.

Rich has experience in these matters and, as you will find out, he is VERY thorough and VERY pro-active in his research. I have to admit, I ran on his coat tails, with great end results. I am truly indebted to him for his "above and beyond" help he has given Cheryl and I.

We too looked at many other brands, including the Cardinal. Even before finding the MOC, we walked into a 3400. The quality was definitely different. Cheryl fell instantly in love with this model. I have not been able to shake her from this resolve by showing her several other brands/models that I really did like. I took her to look and a Dutchman Grand Junction as late as one week before we ordered our 3400. She walked in and looked around and turned to me and said, "Nope. I like my 3400. Let's go."

I think that with a lot of the guys the following holds true... we don't pick em... we just buy em... However, we do go through the gals choices with a fine tooth comb to see if their are any major structrual/mechanical red flags. If not, this is a done deal.

So it was with our new 2007 Montana 3400RL with 2 A/Cs, Arctic Package, Dual Pane Windows, Fireplace, Central Vac, King Bed (w/4" Memory Foam Topper - ordered last Thu), Venetian Gold Decor, No Gel Coat, No Aluminum Wheels. And we also got the most invaluable option possible at a great price - FREE...

The MOC!
Old 07-09-2006, 03:12 AM   #35
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Dave,
I have been true Keystone for last seven years or so. Started out with Springdale, then Cougar, and now the Montana.Have had relatively no major issues with any of them , but more with the Montana than the other two. i don't think on the other two we ever took them back to the dealer. Montana has been back twice know going back for the third time, leaking slide outs, which I am sure they can fix but I am out of warranty know, but my dealer is pretty good we will see what he does on Friday. we have not camped in the rain really much since we have had this Monty so I suspect it is defect from factory, they said they can adjust we will see. Last week it poured, mean pured 4 inches in one day 3 the next we were flooded out at the camp ground. my upper slide on one of the sofas poured water in from the bottom could not figure it out put tarp over that slide seemed to slow it down, and the dinette slide leaked while pulling not open, i can see where it leaks, so should be easy fix for them. The only other issue I have had is with this unit seems to be sensitive to voltage issues than anything else I have ever had, I have installed a voltage booster seems to help little bit. Did have problem last week at the CG we were at the voltage coming in prior to any boost was 108 VAC, boosted was 125 VAC, when both AC were on and you turned anything else high amp draw on such as microwave or hair dryer , or even washer it would trip out the low boost side of the VB breaker due to over all voltage being low which is good I guess, but a pain the way I installed the unit. I had put a cold air return vent and just screwed it into the wall. So when it trips I have to unscrew it to flip the breaker back on the VB itself, I will figure out way to solve this as well. I guess what I am saying is we are overall happy with Monty but have recently looked at few others that have peaked my interest.
If I can get leaks fixed i will be happy if not it's gone, not type of person that likes problems, I really really like the Day Dreamer from Cedar Creek but it's expensive. Also like the KZ Mantego Bay units as well they are nice and about same price wise as Monty. My dealer is carrying the whole KZ line know and selling more of those than Monty's these days. I asked him why he would only give me impression that things change and sometimes that effects factories and products would not elaborate anymore on it. Also liked the Cardinal 36BHS separate twin bed buck house with it's owe bath and dinette, I liked it as well. When we bought the 3685 nobody had a bunk house in higher end 5th wheels that would work with my oldest but recently they have come out with lot of them. Just my thoughts thought I would share with you all, wife tells me I am getting the itch again, it'
s been few years since I traded.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:11 AM   #36
spinky
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1106
My brother has a 2004 Cardianal and of course we have the 2004 3280Montana. We bought them about the same time. I kept telling him to look at the Montana,but he was getting a good deal on the Cardinal in Indiana. Well needless to say he loves ours so much more and keeps telling us how much better constructed our Montana is than his Cardinal. We do a lot of camping together so he can see it for himself.
spinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:20 AM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well we bought the 3400 Montana because it is our opinion that is the best quality camper ..in the price range out there..or as I like to say...the best of the worst...because the quality the manufacturers put out is the worst..but Montana is the best. Does that make sense.. And yes all the other brands have similar issues..but..I don't have any of the other brands..I have the Keystone Montana.. We are meeting many Montana owners here at the FCRV campvention and most of them are very negative..I give them MOC cards anyway..so be prepared.. I just don't understand..Like the high cost of oil..I want to understand..I try to understand..but it just does not compute..so it is with the Montana owners we are talking to. It does not compute...Our brand new 3400 is doing great.A little 1/2 time oven problem..but we fixed it..used the Rich method,,cursed at it and slammed the door.. it is as good as new...
Old 07-09-2006, 10:24 AM   #38
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Rich did you try polling Cardinal or Nu Way people? Might find a similar stiuation... Those that have a support group vs those that don't (and did no previous research on Rving in general before they jumped into this lifestyle...)
That Dave has a lot to do with yout purchase experience..Talked to a Montana owner that paid to repair his frame flex problem..did not have the heart to tell him Keystone would have done it for nothing..That would not have happened here on this forum...Of course he was very unhappy with Keystone/ Montana...
Old 07-09-2006, 06:26 PM   #39
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I love your "fix" for the 1/2 time oven. And to think I was going to waste time having the mfr send me parts and then try to actually repair it... Boy! That was close!
Old 07-10-2006, 05:13 AM   #40
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Wll the last 3 Montana owners I have interrogated have been positive.. Everyone complains about the noisy fan, noisy pump and all those little annoyance factors due to sloppy workmanship..We had heavy rain last night and the topic of conversation is "leaks" this AM.. Every brand, every price range..slides seem to be the main offender.Our 3400 was dry.....Having @700 campers here, every brand, every price range is a learning experience as it has been for the last 4 years.. This helped us choose the Montana.