Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2006, 09:12 PM   #1
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
2006 Everest

Well now I know where alot of the wood work and lighting from the Cambridge went. Into the new Everest, have you seen the new 345S rear entertainment layout. This thing has full recessed lighting, marble-look showers, antique brass faucets. I know they use more budget on interior than the Montana, but wow, Everest is stepping up. I wish Montana would use the recessed 12volt lighting instead of those white lamps, and maybe utilize the toe kick lighting around the counter/stove areas. Just a thought...

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:09 AM   #2
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Yup! Seen one last week end at the Outdoor RV and Camping show in South Bend's Century Center.

I'm thinking hhmmm! It's just a good thing that we aren't in the market. Besides, I'm getting our cheap little Challenger rigged with all kinds of goodies.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:36 AM   #3
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
I didn't think any of them were cheap. How was that show. Have thought different years to check it out. About two hours away.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:26 AM   #4
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Ron,

To tell you the truth, I was less impressed of the show than I was last year. If you were in the market to spend 5 grand on a pop-up or a half million on a motor home, you had all kinds of choices. There was very little in between.

It was a good thing you didn't drive all the way to South Bend. In my opinion, you would have wasted a bunch of gas.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:42 AM   #5
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
Does the new montana 3600RE have those lights too? I have not seen one yet but since the RE means Rear Entertainment maybe it is similar.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:19 AM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am hoping that Montana will start using those lights. I also really like the bathroom in thae 345S Everest. It is one room with shower, toilet, sink all in one with two doors into the bathroom. Makes a nice little hallway to the bedroom. The biggest thing I noticed about this specific floorplan was there are no overhead cabinets in the kitchen. Where are you going to put all your glasses, plates, cups, pots & pans and so on??? Sure a nice unit overall.

Dale, I like your plan of action- buy a really nice coach that fits your wants and needs, then upgrade or add better options. I am still thinking about those electric rear jacks. =)
Old 01-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #7
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
If money is no object perhaps Everest is the way to go.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 07:08 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Northstar,
The floorplan I am talking about actually was cheaper than the 3400RL that was at the same show. I know there is a huge swing in opinion as to which is the better coach, and I sure do not have the answer. I was just really impressed at some of the features of this new Everest. IMHO I would take a Montana over an Everest anyday.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:44 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Cheryl and I looked at an Everest at the GR RV show two weeks ago. We were not impressed with the particular unit they had there, nor the saleman. He's the one I became a little red under the collar at when he tried to tell me that I had better make sure I didnt take my rig ANYWHERE except where I had bought it, for warranty work. He was also touting the remote control thermostat to a group of onlookers with a lot of "OOHs" and "AAAWs". I had a real hard time keeping straight face. When I got him alone, I told him that Montana had terrible problems with that, and that they had discontinued them. He wanted to know where I had heard that from. He said he hadn't heard any such thing. (That's because he had probably been selling motorized wheelchairs just prior to being recruited for that weekend show).

I asked him how long this had been out out of the factory. He told me 2 weeks. I must have looked skeptical. He said, "I think".

I then asked if this had a Mor/ryde suspension. The puzzled look on his face told me I was going to have to go out and look myself. He said,"I think it's got shocks". Great comment. I looked underneath. No Mor/Ryde. This also did not have a lot of the amenities that most Everests have - no fireplace for example.

Although, he did have it listed at a very reasonable show price of $43K, I was not impressed. Neither was Cheryl, but I think that's not really fair, because she observed me turning sour right away, and she adopted the same attitude when she saw I was not happy.

Here's my take on the two shows that I have been at this winter: Dealers are bringing their 2005, early 2006 models that have been sitting on their lot too long. Maybe someone ordered, only to find out the options they wanted didn't make it out the factory. So dealer is stuck with it. My impression was that these units had been sitting for a few months, and dealers are trying to pawn some of these off as "GREAT SHOW DEALS", when in fact, they are not. They are 2005s that they haven't been able to move on their lot.

Now to be fair, I've only observed this at two shows, so maybe I'm just unlucky.

I absolutely agree that the Everest is a great unit. I would love one - but not that one - and not from that salesman.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:19 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
According to Keystone execs the Everest and Montana has the same bottom line budget. They just spend their money differently. Everest spends more on eye candy, which are the things you saw and liked. The Montana spends a higher percentage on construction and livability items, like vents in the attic to let moisture escape, things the Everest doesn't have. Also take a good look at construction details. If weekending and vacationing the Everest is probably a very nice rig. For fulltiming I don't think it's nearly as good as the Montana. Just my opinion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote