Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2005, 02:42 PM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Seward...we caught fish!

Big deal. two little pink salmon, but, guess what, it was fun. Fun for Glen anyway. I got one to the rocks but it jumped off. The weather was great and the scenery is unbelievable. The tiniest birds were diving for fish right in front of us. It was a great day.

Tomorrow we're going out on a charter all day looooooong, fishing for halibut. We'll be worn out but the weather is supposed to stay nice so it should be great. Sunny and 70' today.

There is camping right on the shoreline of downtown Seward, both dry camping and some with hookup, $15.00 and $25.00, I think. There is also tent camping. We are at the Army campground about 2 miles north of Resurrection Bay. I'm on wireless at the neighboring Air Force resort. I won't even bother to tell you how beautiful it is. Just come and see for yourself.

The truck is working great and we didn't have any trouble on the way down here. Apparently the contamination was visible in the filters, etc.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 02:56 PM   #2
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Let the party begin......Now that you are on your way after all your trials you can have fun. Glad to hear that everything is going good now. Have a great time. Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for your good wishes, Kathi.

I forgot to mention, there are new pictures at http://bamatravelers.blogspot.com
See the happy fisherman.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:11 PM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I know how much you are enjoying that area. Good luck on your fishing trip. I caught my halibut down in Homer. I do hope that Homer is on your trip plan. Otherwise you will miss a very wonderful little town.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:15 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Glad to hear things are working out for you. I can taste the salmon! Oh it is so good when it is fresh. Have fun tomorrow. Halibut is good too.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 02:42 PM   #6
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Judy, it isn't the size of the fish but the experience itself, but you already know that! I am sure Glena nd you both are just warming up!

Glad to know the truck is running well once again!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 06:58 PM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We had a great time on the fishing charter today. For your information, the twelve hour charter cost $185.00 each. We almost caught our limit in both halibut and silvers. So we took home a nice cache of fish. Halibut sells downtown for $12.00 per pound so you could say we almost got our money in fish. The weather was so beautiful, a little foggy and chilly in the morning but the ride home was wonderful. We even saw a bald eagle and a sea otter. The otter was relaxing on his back but saw a wave he liked, so he just jumped over it. There were also sea lions on the rocks.

In addition to the fee for fishing, they "suggest" a tip for deck hands of 15-20%. They only work for tips. So it is an expensive adventure but if you like to fish, it's a lot of fun. August is good for fishing. Next week is the Silver Salmon derby and they are a great deal of fun to catch.

The military campground here has two fish houses where you can filet your fish, vacuum pack it, freeze it, and mail it home. It's a great convenience. They also have places downtown that will do the same for a fee.

Northstar, next week we plan to be at Homer for three days. My brother and his wife are flying in on Sunday and we'll share the adventure with them for a while.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:06 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Judy
Glad to hear you are having some fun. I don't think I like fishing that much but I sure like to eat it!
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:25 PM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Wish you were here. We'd sure share with you! We have a lot of fish!
Old 08-09-2005, 09:36 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Judy, Lorraine and I sure do envy you and Glen for doing what we only talk about. One of these days we hope to also take the Alaska adventure but for now we have to live our dream in your postings and pictures. And as if the sight seeing wasn't enough, you have added my favorite past time, "fishing", to the mix. I am an avid fisherman and would looooooong for a loooooong charter for halibut or salmon.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 02:16 AM   #11
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
Judy, be sure and let us know what campgrounds are worth staying at in Homer. We will be there next year.
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 03:05 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
New truck, Glenn? Looks nice! I see you saw the same thing at the September rally that we saw --- gotta have a white truck!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 06:44 AM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Nice new picture, Glenn. You would love it here. We've been fishing every day. There are places to fish along the banks but it's hard to get down to the water as the shoreline is covered with sharp, flat rocks. But it can and is done. Next week is the Silver Salmon Derby so we're here when the silvers are here. They're so much fun to catch, almost more fun than the halibut.

We met a couple yesterday who have come to Alaska four times in the past eight years. It's not a difficult trip. It is marketed for the camper and RVer so there are facilities all over. In Seward there are many sites right on the water, some with hookups, for $25.00 per night. You just drive in and self pay, like some parking lots. And that's what they are, parking spaces on gravel. They've taken the city park and turned it into a tent camping area. We even saw that they had drawn parking spaces on the old baseball diamond. Lots of tourists and more will come in next week for the Derby.

Don't be discouraged by the old stories of horrible roads. It is rough in a few places but you just slow down like an other construction area in the lower 48. Some people have put on rock guards over the grill of their truck, but I don't even see that it is necessary. You, your truck, and your shoes may have a few dings by the time you get home, but this isn't Hollywood. Alaska and Canada are rocky. Everything can be fixed.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:51 PM   #14
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Judy, As you know we are planning on doing a similar trip starting June 06. Are the prices you are quoting US or Canadian.? We need to start saving now. I sure hope gas comes down somewhat before we leave.
Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:52 PM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
The diesel fuel price is $2.68 per gallon US. I have tried to indicate when it was the Canadian price. So if nothing is said, it's the US price. Campgrounds have run around $17-25.00 US per nite but there are many places where you can dry camp to save money. I haven't heard any reports that talk about it being unsafe. Diet Coke is $2.00 per 16 oz bottle and refrigerator packs are two for $10.00. Whatever the price, it is worth it. It's a different lifestyle and beautiful scenery.