Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2005, 04:54 PM   #1
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
XM Radio

Just curious if anybody has added XM radio to their Montana. Any problems getting it to work?

Russ

MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:33 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We don't have the XM in the Montana but we have it in the truck. It is wonderful! Glen got it as a retirement gift along with a one year subscription ($10.00 per month). It is so nice to listen to uninterrupted music in a genre that is entirely what you choose. I thought it was a waste of money, even tho the money wasn't ours, until we started listening to it in the truck. The original idea was to listen to football games in Alaska and Canada this fall. But we enjoy it already.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:43 PM   #3
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
We have listened to it in the Montana in 2 ways. We have a Delphi Roady with an FM modulator. We either leave it in the truck, on, and tune the Monty stereo to the correct FM station, or else we actually bring it from the truck to inside the Monty. We simply place the antenna in a window and it seems to work fine. In order to do that, you will need a converter from 110 to 12V DC, with a cigarette lighter adaptor. Bringing it in is usually best, as you can actually change venues, and the signal is stronger. Just what we do. XM is great.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:47 PM   #4
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Sorry to post here again, but here goes. Channel 13 is great for good old fashioned "twangy" country music. I like it but Jo throws over some mighty mean looks so I usually reserve that for when she's gone or napping. I may be a hick at heart but I am no fool.. lol.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:57 PM   #5
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
We went with the Sirius radio system because it is hard to travel during football season and not get to here my Texas Longhorns and Dallas Cowboys on the weekends. Other than some added sports channels both system are really great. You never have to search for the type of music you like.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 02:17 AM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We move the Roady from the car,truck and Monty.Our Equanox has the built in unit and we have one for home total of three.We are on the family plan I think is $7.00 per month per unit. Would not be without
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:30 AM   #7
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We had XM in our truck. Yesterday we had it moved to our new coach and boy what a difference a Sony surround system makes. We really liked the system in our truck and now we will be able to enjoy it more as we can use it while parked. We also have the "Skyfi Home" system but have not used it.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:05 AM   #8
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
I went with Sirius, due to the fact that you get it for free when you subscribe to Dish Networks satellite service. The sound is great when I run a optical connection between the sat receiver and my Sony system in the trailer.
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:54 AM   #9
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Maseef I have Sirius as well. I am not sure what an optical connection is and how to connect, but it sounds most interesting. Care to elaborate???
Old 06-30-2005, 02:18 AM   #10
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Native Tex

Maseef I have Sirius as well. I am not sure what an optical connection is and how to connect, but it sounds most interesting. Care to elaborate???
I am using a Dish Networks sat receiver in my Montana that receives all the Sirius radio channels and the receiver has a optical dolby digital audio AC3 output. I replaced the junk Quest DVD system with a Sony DAV-150. The Sony has a Optical input. I purchased a optical cable and connected the two together. This allows me to watch movies from Dish in dolby digital, as well as listening to Sirius with very high quality. When listening to Sirius I run the Sony in Neo 6 Music mode which outputs the music to both the front and rear speakers. Sounds great!
Old 06-30-2005, 02:22 AM   #11
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Another option for Sirius subscribers is to listen to it via your PC. If you are in a park that has WiFi broadband, Sirius streams a 34 kb/s audio channel to your PC. I run a set of small PC speakers from my laptop, and can listen to Sirius anywhere inside or outside the trailer. 34 Kb/s is near CD quality and sounds great.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:43 AM   #12
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
I put the XM radio in my 2955RL. But, before I did, I tossed out the pitiful RCA sound system and replaced it with a 100w Sony system that actually gives me good sound. I bought the Auto Kit for the XM and "sticky" mounted it on a blank panel between the O/H cabinet doors. I ran the antenna lead out through the emergency exit window and stuck the antanna on the vertical wall of my slide-out up next the the mounts for the slide-out canopy.

I like the way it works. And when I decide to trade in the Montana (upgrade) I'll just un-stick the mounting, clean and oil the panel, unstick the antanna and "git-r-done".
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 01:10 AM   #13
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
I agree with the pitiful RCA system. Our secretary has one in her office. I wonder if she wants two.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:29 AM   #14
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Mike - the PC link is a plus and I use if often. I really like being able to get my favorite football teams too. Both systems have their ups and downs but so far the Sirius is my pick.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:15 PM   #15
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
We also have XM and really enjoy it. Our 2003 GMC came with it installed and since we have added the SkiFi home kit and another car kit to move the portable unit around to other rigs. Also invested in the XM BoomBox - which cradles the portable unit and runs on either AC or batteries - this unit works well in the Mountaineer - just put the antenna up by a south facing window and there you go.
Ed Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:07 PM   #16
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Our XM has had a good signal all the way to near the Yukon border. We still pick it up once in a while if the mountains aren't too high. We sure have enjoyed having it.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:18 AM   #17
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
We just got "sirius radio" Really love it.The one I have has the ability to pause live radio-very cool.I went with the life time plan.so i`am locked in for ever with NO monthly fees.If you had asked me 2 years ago if I would ever pay for radio,i would have told you-NO way.Times sure have changed.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:25 AM   #18
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
My reaction has been the same as yours, harleyrider. Glen got the XM as a retirement gift and my thought was, "what a waste", but I'm a believer now. Traveling through Canada and not experiencing all the static from poor connections has made it worth its weight in gold.

By the way, there are lots of people driving their motorcycles to Alaska! And still others who are riding their bicycles....and they're not young either.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:57 PM   #19
w4nfr
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #646
I use XM in the RV by patching the audio output into the aux of the stereo. The magnetic mounted antenna Hocky puck just mounts to the top item in the cabinet and points up thru the slide. It is wood with a rubber covering, so the antenna is looking at the sky. Anyway it is great and has a nice selection wherever you are at least in Conus.
I got the patch cable at Radio Shack, it has a miniture stereo plug on one end and the Rt and Lf Phono plugs on the other end.
w4nfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:41 PM   #20
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I have XM radio in my truck and a roady2 in my Monty. I have a surround system therefore I have a reciever. Just get the hone docking set and plug the rc jacks into the input jacks on the reciever, because the roady2 has a built in modulator. I just set the XM antenna in the cabinet and get very good reception. You can buy the roady2 at Best Buy for 49.95.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote