Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2005, 05:00 AM   #1
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Protecting walls around stove

Don't know if this has ever been discussed or not; and have not done this ourselves, but----------
Have friends who just purchased a new Montana and mentioned that they were going to put plexiglass on the walls around the stove to protect from spatters. They had done this in their previous 5th wheel - used mirror clips to hold the plexiglass in place. Makes sense to me, especially if you are full timing like they are. Just thought I would share someone else's good idea.

Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 08:48 AM   #2
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
This is one of the first things we did to our Monty - really helps in cleaning up those cooking splaters you get, no matter how careful you are.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 10:03 AM   #3
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Very good and logical idea! Marsha and I rarely use the stove inside our campers—you could probably count on both hands the number of times we used the stove on our Prowler in the seven years we camped in it—but this would be a good adition in case we have to use the stove on rainy days.

Perhaps Keystone might even pick up this idea and start installing plexiglass on Montanas in the future. Makes perfect sense!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 11:50 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We have a cutting board that stands up on the side and protects the side and the back is protected by the stove top that folds up and rests against the back. Easy clean up.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 02:21 PM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
It is a good idea! We immediately put plexiglass on the left side of our stove and the lifted stove cover provides protection for the backside when cooking. We just drilled little holes and screwed it directly to the wall.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 02:49 PM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Sunshine,
We did not use the Plexiglas but did buy the stainless steel or polished aluminum piece and mount it on the right hand side of the stove. I was lucky enough to have a mental shear at work to cut it to the correct length.
Both work well but the steel will handle a little more heat.
Thanks for the comment
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 03:26 PM   #7
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
We did the same in our rig. Much easier to clean the plexiglass than the wallpaper. I used a piece of plexiglass that was made to replace a windowpane. The local Lowes had several sizes available.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 04:01 PM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We put up plexiglass on the right side of the stove, using good ol' velcro. It has come down a few times so I need to replace the standard velcro with the industrial strength.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:32 PM   #9
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Sounds like a good idea with the plexiglass, I was using my sink covers against the wall while cooking.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:34 PM   #10
Montana_4024

M.O.C. #4024
What are mirror clips? Sounds like good idea. We are fooling with velcro and not working so well. John

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sunshine

Don't know if this has ever been discussed or not; and have not done this ourselves, but----------
Have friends who just purchased a new Montana and mentioned that they were going to put plexiglass on the walls around the stove to protect from spatters. They had done this in their previous 5th wheel - used mirror clips to hold the plexiglass in place. Makes sense to me, especially if you are full timing like they are. Just thought I would share someone else's good idea.
Montana_4024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:00 AM   #11
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
In our previous TT, I simply drilled and countersunk 6 holes and used little brass screws. The "mirror clips" are those plastic clips with a screw through them that are used to hold the mirrors over the sink, etc. in place. You may have some holding the glass in your kitchen cabinet doors or the bathroom mirror from the backside.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote