Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2005, 02:33 PM   #1
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
LED Lights

A few months ago I bought a handful of LED based bulbs. Some that has only 1 LED and some that had 6, at $1.50 and $3.00 respectivly.

Here's my opinion:

They work, they use a lot less power, but they don't put out much in the way of light. I ended up using them in the reading lights over the bed 'cause they don't put out enough light for anywhere else. The single LED ones are pretty much useless, and they have a decidedly purple light, might make a good nightlight if you tend to trip on the critters likt we do.

My guess is that you'd have to buy LED lights with 20 to 25 LEDS to make enough light to even come close. At $6.00 to $8.00 each it's not worth it, my 2955 has about 25 bulbs, or $150 / $200 if I replaced them all. I can run my generator for a long time on $150 / $200 even at todays gas prices.

That's my humble opinion,
Russ

MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Russ,
Thanks for your report on the LEDs. I have looked at them and they are appealing because of low power consumption. Looks like we'll have to wait on the price to drop on the 25 LED models before we change over. Hopefully, the prices will drop as they have on the flourescent blubs for use in the place of standard light bulbs. We do have a couple of LED nightlights that we use at home and in the coach. Thanks again.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:49 PM   #3
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I was wondering how these new led lights would work-now I know thanks.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 07:27 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I agree with fulltimedreamer regarding the power consumption. They would be great. Especially while boondocking. Would save a lot of energy. But if they do not produce a usable light it's not going to help. As they produce more and more the price is going to drop. When it gets competitive we'll probably switch over. They also produce much less heat. That could be a plus and a minus. Some folks leave a light on around places they don't want to freeze. The regular bulbs produce enough heat to help prevent freezing. But the LEDs would NOT.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 03:18 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the report, Russ. You probably saved several of us from wasting yet more money. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:07 PM   #6
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
FYI: The ones they sell for taillights, $10, do not work well in Dodge trucks. The power draw is so LOW that the computer thinks the lights burnt out so it turns off the Dash lighting as the indicator that you lost your tails. They also blink incrediably fast when you use turn signals. The flasher is proubly searching for current flow. At least that is the experience of our local Power Shop/Custom Accessories provider.
dersequim is offline   Reply With Quote