Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2005, 08:31 AM   #21
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
So far we really like our new Chevy, duramax. Our son worked on the Humvee's in the army with the allison transmission and he told us that was the only way to go.

jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:31 AM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard, Mark and Pat. I guess I'll chip in my nickel's worth here, too. As you said, right now the Ford has the highest ratings. And the magazines all seem to agree the Ford is king of towing and solo, based on actual testing. One of those magazines commented they like the TorqShift better than the Allison because it's smarter about when to shift and when to downshift in tow/haul and seems to be built stronger. But the Allison is also a strong, good transmission. But next year a different brands could be king. Since you're talking diesel, I'll restrict my comments to diesel. All three manufacturers make models that are very capable and can very easily handle any of the Montanas. If I were in your shoes, I'd start with that in mind and then pick my vehicle based on the other things, including your personal preference. I am very, very happy and pleased with my Ford. I love the way this new suspension and frame improved the ride. And I love the shorter turn radius of the 4x4. And the integrated brake controller is beyond compare. Others are very happy with their Dodge. Others with their GM. We are very fortunate that you can pick from any of the Big Three and you'd not be making a bad choice. At least in my opinion.

Eric, you are almost correct. The 2005 F250 has considerably higher ratings than even last year's F350. We had an '03 F350 diesel. Tow rating was 14,xxx. Our '05 F250 is 15,400 and you can order them to 17,000. GVWR on our F350 was 9900. On our F250 it's 10,000. GCWR on our F350 was 20,000. On our F250 it's 23,000. The F350 has a tow rating to 19,200 and GCWR to 26,000 with the Tow Boss Package.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:37 AM   #23
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
We love our 2005 Ford F350 diesel duelly. I was hesitant about the duelly, but I have really appreciated the stability several times. It is kind of a load to drive all the rest of the time when we are not towing, but you get used to it. I just park at the end of a row...I need the exercise anyway! We got a white one and added the Montana graphics, we are styling now!
Best of luck with your choice, welcome to the forum and ENJOY!
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:52 AM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

I would not trade my Chevy for either of the other two brands. My personal choice, but the Allison tranny has been around and used in many heavy commerical use vehicles. That tells me they have been doing something right, and as far as the Duramax goes, cant think of a better motor to have pulling the coach. Like Pasternak said, I bought a Duramax, just came wrapped in a Chevy body. I guess you could say my profile says it all.
Montana Sky, I know Allison has been building transmissions for a very long time and has a terrific reputation but you are aware the one used with the Duramax was built for that specific application and was not previously used anywhere else, right? Still, it's good money on a good name brand so don't take my comment as a negative. Just didn't want anyone thinking that buying a name automatically means buying a good product. Every mfr can create a mistake. I think this particular Allison has proven to be a good transmission so maybe my point is moot.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:58 PM   #25
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
You made a very good point, thank you for clarifying. I sometimes think faster than my fingers can type. This is my second Duramax with the Allison transmission and have found them to be outstanding, but as you said, it takes more than just a name to have a good product. Thanks again =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 01:12 PM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bottom line is you have a good combination and so do we, as do the Dodge folks. And we're both happy. And it's nice to have some great choices out there, huh?
Old 04-10-2005, 06:58 AM   #27
Montana_3493

M.O.C. #3493
Wow, great input from everyone. One thing is quite clear - as we look to buying that new tow vehicle (or late model used one) all three mfr's have a product that will do the job and it is also clear from all of your input that all 3 have fans of their product. We can't tell you how excited we are to actually get one! A little time yet before that happens, but it will happen. Special notes to: kimmrg - fulltiming since September 2004 - you sound like you're living your dream and we're thrilled for you! Not sure we'll go the duelly route though. However, we are thinking about getting a Golden Doodle dog, so nice to hear you have a pair of Golden Retrievers...wonderful dogs. And sreigle: Great input and man, oh man, you've made a few posts to forums! You must have been doing this for a while? It's pretty cool. We're glad we've joined what is obviously a great group of owners of RV's!!!!!

Freedom Bound
Montana_3493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 02:54 PM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Freedom Bound, I've been a member of this forum since it's first week, back in early November, 2002. But mostly the number of posts could be characterized as diarrhea of the mouth. Vicki calls it digital diarrhea (had to have her look up how to spell that, by the way).

You're right our moc members love their trucks, all three brands. And that just means there are several very good choices out there. So I think you can relax about that part.

Good luck and be sure to let us know as this progresses.