Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2005, 06:33 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Tips new FW owners are likely to not think of

I thought maybe it would be nice if we would share some tips for first-time fifthwheel owners, things they might not otherwise think of until they have a problem. Most of these are probably things we learned 'the hard way'. So I'll start it off with this one...

Before you drop the landing gear to unhitch, note whether the front or rear of the fifthwheel is the high end. If the front is the high end, that means you will have to lower the fifthwheel's front end below where it is currently sitting, after taking it off the truck.

So, run those landing gear down a few inches before you pull the pin to drop the legs. Otherwise you'll get the fifthwheel off the truck and will run out of adjustment before the fifthwheel is level. Then you'll have to hitch it up again and lower the landing gear as above.

Been there, done that.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 07:03 AM   #2
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Great Steve,

I recently saw a demo. on RV Today, of what happens when your rig is not level when towing, FW or TT's. I was very surprised at how much the weight shifts from one axle to the other with a small amount out of level. This can cause all sorts of problems with Tires, Bearings and Axles.

We see a lot of 5ers and TT's out there towing out of level. Lesson here, get it level for towing.

Happy camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 07:06 AM   #3
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Good Idea Steve,
My tip is that 5ers cut closer in than TTs when making a turn, due to the fact that the pivot point is further forward. Make sure you give yourself enough room to clear a corner.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 08:50 AM   #4
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Look up as well as to the sides for obstructions, 5ers are alot taller than a TT. This includes going under bridges and streets with overhanging branches, etc.

Mary says watch the tailgate when hitching, unhitching and backing into your site after you're set up.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 11:15 AM   #5
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
That is a great tip Steve. About a month ago on a weekend outing I was slightly nose high on my level.

Not only that when I disconnected I didn't drive the truck completely out from under. so when I lowered the Monty it came to rest on the truck. Luckly, no damage.

So the next time I get a bad lot I will be thinking of your method.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 01:05 PM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Block the wheels before unhitching. It would spoil the trip to see the Montana roll away.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 04:07 PM   #7
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Put big enough block under the leg in case the black top gives. Ask me how I know.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 06:55 PM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I know it has been stated but will say it again. When hooking up, lower the trailer onto the hitch, raise the front landing gear 1 inch, leave the chocks in place and put a small rear then forward load on the hitch. If you are sitting on top of the 5th wheel hitch or it did not catch you will disconnect. Better to do it in the RV lot with the front landing gear down then on the road and no landing gear. NOW REMEMBER to put the landing gear all the way up and continue the hook up.
Good luck and safe towing.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 06:05 AM   #9
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
If not level side to side the low side add a 2x6 under the wheels and usu sally that will bring it up fairly level. That way you don't have to rely on your jacks to level it side to side.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 01:46 PM   #10
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
If your TV is a short bed watch out for the back of the cab on tight manuvers. Better to get a sliding hitch.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 02:12 PM   #11
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
There are times when the release on the hitch just doesn't want to come loose. If you have the wheels chocked and have extended the front landing gear to the point the RV seems to be supporting its own weight and the release is still being stubborn, climb back into your TV and pull the transmission into reverse while your foot is on the brake and then ease up on the brake until the truck rolls gently back slightly to move the pin forward just enough to take the pressure off the jaws. The release now is easier to pull and unlock the hitch jaws.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote