Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2006, 01:14 PM   #1
RLVoumard
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6034
Mountaineer 319 BHS - vs CLASS "A" MH

Have OUTGROWN our 34ft CLASS A MHome ( non slide ) with a family the 319 BHS looks to be the best choice for us. I am concerned the differences. I will be moving from a MHome to a 5th wheel ??

Also can a GENERATOR be installed in the rig- done right ? ( cost effective ? )

I am concerned about the ease of set up ? with MH you pull in drop the jacks,you're done. It seems like it take MUCH LONGER with a 5th wheel ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

RLVoumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 02:46 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Welcome to the forum! In my humble opinion, many MH owners are finding that they can be more comfortable in a fifth wheel. The right floor plan will offer you more floor space and with a bunkhouse model, you'll get more beds. There are some slight inconveniences to owning a fifth wheel,but there are advantanges also. One is repair cost. And when your fifth wheel is in for repairs, you still have your truck to drive. There are a lot of satisfied, former MH owners who now own a fifth wheel. And I'm sure some of them are on this forum and will be along to answer your questions.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:02 PM   #3
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Judy,

And don't forget. When your TV is in for repairs, (such as engine work, like any Class-A MH would require from time to time,) you aren't without a HOUSE!

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I knew there was another advantage, Steve!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 01:17 AM   #5
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
RLVoumard I am one of those former "Class A Drivers" that Judy mentioned. I had a 32 Ft Fleetwood Storm with two slides and just me and the misses and we ran out of room. When we say the floor plans and room in the 5vr - there was no turning back. There are many plus and minus to what you are considering and there are Pros and Cons but in the end you have to take what others tell you and draw your own conclusions. One of my hang ups was the unit were looking at did not have a GenSet. So we sit down and looked at when we used the GenSet in the Motor Home - going down the road running both A/C's, don't need A/C running in 5ver going down the road. When we go to Florida we usually overnighted at a Walmart and run the GenSet - this time with the 5ver we found a nice little camp ground spent less there than we would have staying at a Walmart (Go Figure)Getting up and going to the bathroom - that is not safe and we usually pulled into roadside park anyway with the Class A. Seems the our Class A was more tenseful to drive - seems it required more of my attention - the 5th wheel going down the highway does not seem to be as stressful - like driving my pickup. PS back to the GenSet - you can have them installed in a 5vr or buy a good one to sit outside if you do a lot of the boondocking thing, but watch Voltage/Amp thing - may not run A/C unit.
Ok where was I, Oh yes - set up time. In the Class A, I first had to unhook by toad, then I would back in, set the brakes, push a button and level unit then put slides out, hook up water and electric and sewer if available. I don't think it takes me that much longer to set up the 5ver. Just by looking at the site I am parking in I can guess if I need any leveling boards on either axle side so on my first back-in or pull in I have the boards down and level from side to side. When I drop the front jacks and unhook the TV, just run the electric motor and watch a bubble level I have installed by the outside switch to level fore and aft. Besides what is you hurry. Take your time and enjoy being out with your family.
By the time I get all the outside hookups made, the DW has the slides out, A/C cranking, and a cool beverage for me ready. Well that last part is not always true - sometimes I have to get my own beverage but it sounded good when I wrote it.
Main thing, more room to relax in, watch TV, and plenty of inside storage. Did you know when I emptied my class A out of everything and put it in the 5ver I still had a bunch of room for storage (inside that is.) The Class A had more outside storage but I used that for the big bulky stuff like ladders, grills etc.
Well, I have given you some of my Pros and Cons but to be honest - you are going to get more useable space for your dollar than a Class A has and when trade in times comes you will not be taking a big a hit on the pocket book with the 5vr as you would with the class A.

On Edit - PS A great big welcome to the Forum. There is just a boat load of experience on here that is willing to help with any questions you may have.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 01:47 AM   #6
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Great advice from Phil and another great feature is that the same livability and comfort in a Fiver costs about 1/3 of a Class A. Walk into a 40000 dollar Montana and walk into a 120000 dollar Class A and most people will be more impressed by the ceiling height and wide open spaces of a big Montana. Even the Diesel pusher million dollar busses don't have our head room.
Also, the Class A owner gets to tour on vacation in his Toad, for many an econobox .
Us Fiver owners get to tour in our big luxury pickups............ I'm sticking with a Fiver even if I win the Lotto.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:15 AM   #7
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I made the move from a Class C and the difference is night and day. I carry a generator with me and seldom use it. There is always an RV park somewhere and most let you just park after hours and settle up in the morning. For those quick stops I usually keep enough water in the tanks so that all I need is power. Hook up is easier than a tag along car. And our crew cab TV makes an excellent get around vehicle. I wont have another MH. But it is a matter of choice. I think if I traveled with a group a LOT and stayed on the road a MH might be better. To take a quote from Glen "RV's accomodate drinks for 6, dinner for 4 and sleeps 2" works for me! With the exception of the Texas style BBQ when all are invited. But that is done outdoors anyway.
As for the built in genset, I preferr to have the storage. The genset takes up a lot of room.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:47 AM   #8
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I noticed nobody said 'moving down to a 5th wheel' like you sometimes see on the RV forum. Most of us are able to afford which type rv we want, and we are here because we like and want the 5th wheel more than a Class A or C.

Also, nobody has mentioned initial cost or insurance. Both are really cheap, when compared to a $200k mh.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:23 AM   #9
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Something a guy who used to live long term in this CG said after he sold his Class-A sticks with me. And I think he owned a TT before that Class-A.

"The two happiest days for this RVer was the day I bought that Class-A, and the day I sold it."

Even with my sieve-like memory, I know that a lot of us have mentioned a whole lot of HAPPY DAYS all during our fiver ownership periods.

Steve
Old 07-16-2006, 01:02 PM   #10
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Gyro:

"The two happiest days for this RVer was the day I bought that Class-A, and the day I sold it."

I've heard the same thing except change "RVer" to "boater" and "Class A" to "boat."

Another version is "the second happiest day of my life was when I bought my rv/boat, the happiest day of my life was when I sold my rv/boat."
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 02:11 PM   #11
TOM F
Established Member

M.O.C. #5959
We just sold or 35' Class A. And bought the 319bh like you are looking at. So far we are very happy with our choice. We where very tired of opening and closing hide a bed and loosing half the RV's living space when the kids where asleep. The 5er is much more family freindly. I find set up only slighly more than the class A. Just make a good list of things you want in the 5er. Things I found lacking and had installed or installed myself are, more batteries, inverter, slide out awnings, black tank flush and soon to come a Glide Rite Pin Box
TOM F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 02:39 PM   #12
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Cat,

I think you may be onto something!

Sometimes our desires get the best of us.

Steve