Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2006, 03:42 AM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Impressions from our shake down trip.

We have been on the road for almost 3 weeks and covered about 1200 miles and we are loving this Montana more everyday. I have never seriously considered full timing before but after living in this unit, I am starting to get a feel for just how comfortable you can be in an RV. We are very pleased how well stuff rides in this unit and even the stuff on the lazy susan in the kitchen cupboard has never moved and we have had some rough roads.
The big drawer under the fridge is full of heavy pans and it has come open a couple times. That's it. The spring latch is just not up to holding that drawer in and I am thinking of a way to lock that drawer. Any ideas?
One thing I am happy that I am only 5'9" because as I stand in front of the front closet to get clothes out, the crank for the TV antennae is less than a 1/2" over my head so you taller guys must have cursed that crank's location.
The thing we enjoy most about this unit over every other RV we have owned in the last 30 years is our little Splendide washer dryer.
We do a load every day and you can't even hear the thing except for when it spins. Every other trip we have been on, we have had to waste time in a laundomat. Take care

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:34 AM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Don, thank you for sharing your adventures with us. Would one of those child proof things keep the draw in. It might come out a little but not all the way. We agree with you about the washer/dryer, we love ours also.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:45 AM   #3
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Parrothead, That child proof lock is agreat idea and I used those 20 years ago when the kids were small. Thanks a bunch and I will look into that before we hit the road again. Take care.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:20 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We bought a roll of velcro tie wraps at C.W.use them on the cabinet handles..we have never had them fail us on our last TT.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:23 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Rich I use the same Velcro wraps but I think his is a single handle so nothing to Velcro to. I have those Velcro wraps on every cord I own. You can buy longer ones than the ones that come six to a package. You can also buy a whole roll of Velcro but you'd have to cut your own little hole for the straps to be permanent.
Happy trails.......................
Old 05-08-2006, 07:39 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sue..these come in a roll of 8 inch tie wraps to use. There are a bunch of them on that roll.Got them at CW a couple of days ago.Maybe something new??
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:56 AM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Don,
So glad to hear that your Montana is treating you so well. There is no better feeling like hitting the road and having nothing go wrong. Just another idea, would the latch that is used on your washer/dryer doors to keep them closed work for your drawer that keeps coming open? I had the same problem with the bedroom door coming open during transport, the dealership installed the gold latch at the bottom of the door. He turned it on its side and works perfectly, the door has never opened since. Just a thought.... I hope you have many more enjoyable trips like this last one provided you.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:00 PM   #8
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Don,

Glad to hear it. Nothing like getting out and trying out the trailer, a new one is even better.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Great to hear things went well. As to your fulltiming, heh, heh, we gotcha. Rather Monty gotcha. Happy RVing....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:35 PM   #10
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
WrenchTraveller, I will have to agree on the Washer/Dryer Combo....that was the best investment I made on my unit. I'm so glad I don't have to leave my trailer to do laundry. I hate doing laundry but using the W/D combo is a breeze....turn it on and forget about it. I full-time in this unit by myself, so I don't have to use it but on the weekends....but as far as comforters I use the campground laudry. Enjoy you Monty!
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:18 PM   #11
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Thanks for all the kind replies and I took Sue & ED's idea and today I bought a cabinet & drawer spring latch that was in the child protection area of a Dept store and I put it on and I think it is going to do the trick for me.
This site has the nicest people and makes buying a Montana such a great experience. Take care.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #12
tennisdg
Established Member

M.O.C. #5058
WE FOUND THAT IF YOU GO TO CAMPER WORLD YOU CAN PICK UP A CAN OF BUNGY CORDS FOR ABOUT 8 DOLLARS AND THEY HAVE SOME SMALL BUNGY CORDS THAT WILL WORK.
tennisdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:13 PM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
tennisdg
You are right and I used the very small bung cords at first but found they scratched the handle and the cabinet if you are not careful. I like the Velcro better. You can buy the Velcro ties at Home Depot in almost any size you want. I used these a lot for computer setups when I was working. (such a long time ago) I use them for my hair dryer and curling iron, for all of the cords that go to the digital camera and printer and extra extension cords we carry with us. You can buy a long one to wrap around your water hose also. They don't break like some of the plastic hose tieups.
Happy trails..........................
Happy trails.......................
Old 05-11-2006, 03:44 PM   #14
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I have logged about 500 miles since I put that safety latch on the heavy pot and pan's drawer under the fridge. Thank you Parrothead for a great idea. On rough roads the drawer opens the one inch that the latch allows it .On smooth roads the drawer stays closed. A perfect fix.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:59 PM   #15
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
You must have taken the ferry, how did that go?
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:51 AM   #16
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
The ferry went well once you get used to shelling out almost 200 bucks. Take care.
PS go to BCFerries.com to for a list of schedules and fares.
We like the Vancouver - Victoria run the best because the spirit class ships give our RV more space between rigs and they have a great buffet.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:53 AM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
$200?? HOLY COW! That has to be at least 3 or 4 tanks of fuel... Sounds to me like the ferry company is getting rich off the hard working people. When are the profits going to stop?? =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:32 PM   #18
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
We do enjoy our splendite w/d too. It is so nice not to have to waste time at the laundrymat. Also being able to wash whenever you want you don't need as many clothes.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

We have been on the road for almost 3 weeks and covered about 1200 miles and we are loving this Montana more everyday. I have never seriously considered full timing before but after living in this unit, I am starting to get a feel for just how comfortable you can be in an RV. We are very pleased how well stuff rides in this unit and even the stuff on the lazy susan in the kitchen cupboard has never moved and we have had some rough roads.
The big drawer under the fridge is full of heavy pans and it has come open a couple times. That's it. The spring latch is just not up to holding that drawer in and I am thinking of a way to lock that drawer. Any ideas?
One thing I am happy that I am only 5'9" because as I stand in front of the front closet to get clothes out, the crank for the TV antennae is less than a 1/2" over my head so you taller guys must have cursed that crank's location.
The thing we enjoy most about this unit over every other RV we have owned in the last 30 years is our little Splendide washer dryer.
We do a load every day and you can't even hear the thing except for when it spins. Every other trip we have been on, we have had to waste time in a laundomat. Take care
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote