Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2006, 04:37 PM   #1
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Mud Flaps

Good Evening All,

Last month while traveling through New Mexico, we encountered a fair amount of rain, which complicated matters as we attempted to park in an overpriced, under accomidating RV park. The result was we got mud everywhere around and under the Monty.

As we made our way home we noticed that the slides seemed to work a little more roughly and noisily at our next 2 stops. The cause was the build up of mud underneath both rear slides - mud that was thrown up on the slide gears and ramp by the trailer wheels.

I have thus decided to install mud flaps on the 3400 just behind the rear tires. Although I have not yet been able to really test them out since I've not had to run through any more rain and mud yet, I do anticipate not having this same problem again in the future.

However, this modification is not for the faint of heart - I did have to drill 2 1/4" holes in the I-beam frame - hope it doesn't void my warranty.

rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:06 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rick,
Any chance of getting pictures??
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Montana Sky,

I'll post some pics this weekend.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:09 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rick,

Pics would be great! I was under there messing around last weekend and thought about mud flaps, but couldn't see anything sturdy enough to mount them to. Sounds like you found a cure.

I wouldn't worry about the holes. Between the factory and dealer my frame looks like Bonney and Clydes car. I noticed all of the belly screws are into the frame, as well as the spare tire rack, generator exhaust, LP brackets, etc. I think the only weakness you could create is a hole horizontally through the beam.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:16 PM   #5
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Montana Sky,

I finally got around to taking pics of the mud flaps. They are shown below.

http://i12.tinypic.com/333gyyv.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/48noohv.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/4484jy9.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/2qwkfms.jpg

The first 2 photos are of the mud flaps from the back side. The 3rd photo somewhat shows how the aluminum support bracket is mounted to the underside of the frame. If you look closely, you will see 2 1/4" self threading bolts (the same kind used to hold on the black underside material)that hold the the bracket onto the bottom side of the frame. The outside bolt was already in place and holding the black bottome material. I drilled and installed the 2nd bolt approximately 2" inboard (also thru the main I-beam frame which is 3" wide). The mud flap (purchased from PEP Boys) is held onto the bracket (1" x 1" x 3/16" angle aluminum) by 4 screws/lock nuts.

We'll see how things hold together in the next few trips.

The 4th photo is of my MC trailer. Measured tongue load is 178# when fully loaded. Thus far I have only towed 2 bicycles and some ballest weight - tongue weight of 98#. I can't imagine why the weight police or the frame police would be upset with this. but who knows.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rick,

Handsome install! That will be my next fix before spring. Too many rocks hitting the hull of the boat.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:11 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Rick,
Great job! That has to help keep stuff from flying up and dinging the underside of the rig or throwing into another vehicle.

Thanks for posting the pics. Makes it easier for us mechanically challenged folks to see what needs to be done.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:28 AM   #8
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
Well, this addition will probably wind up being a 200 dollar "option" from Montana....! Nice job.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:46 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rick,
Sure looks like a great upgrade! Those should sure help keep debris off the coach.

On the last picture, that is one nice looking set up you have there. I bet your Duramax does one heck of a job towing those 2 trailers down the road. =) =) =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote