Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC on M.A.R.S. > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2018, 08:32 AM   #21
Denny and Angie Miller
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19889
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodgod1 View Post
If everyone would please indulge me on this issue for a moment, I think you'll understand where I'm going. I was recently made aware of Keystone using the Norco gearbox to open and close the slides on the High Country models. Apparently, over the past few years, Norco has modified their design and those new style gearboxes will leak oil on top of your slide roofs while your slides are in and the oil will sit on the membrane and cause it to bubble up. Then next time you put the slide out it causes tears and stretches the roof membrane. I belong to a 381 TH group on FB and every on of our slide gearboxes are leaking onto the slide roofs. My request to the group is to check your slide roofs while your slides are retracted. Take a flashlight, stand on a step stool and look directly under the gearbox. It'll be clear as a bell if it's leaking. You'll see bubbling there or a tear. Gentleman on youtube that goes by "Down The Road We Go" has posted 3 videos about the issue if you'd like to see. If yours is leaking please let me know as I'm trying to get Keystone to come up with a permanent solution to this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much.
353RL built in early 2017, all 3 slides have this issue. I have not contacted Keystone or the dealer about this as it's no longer under warranty.
Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:38 AM   #22
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny and Angie Miller View Post
353RL built in early 2017, all 3 slides have this issue. I have not contacted Keystone or the dealer about this as it's no longer under warranty.
Same here, out of warranty by a month.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:26 AM   #23
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
I need to check on our 2015 HC-353, but this should not be an in or out of warranty issue. This is a known problem that should be corrected - it should be a recall advisory!
Ready to live the dream
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:22 AM   #24
SteveandTerri

M.O.C. #22227
I have a 2017 305RL with 3 slides. Just checked the motors: all 3 of them are leaking and the roof of the sliders are bubbling. Just sent a message to Keystone advising them of the issue.... It was purchased in mid-August 2017.
SteveandTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:08 AM   #25
walterc2
Established Member

M.O.C. #20874
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveandTerri View Post
I have a 2017 305RL with 3 slides. Just checked the motors: all 3 of them are leaking and the roof of the sliders are bubbling. Just sent a message to Keystone advising them of the issue.... It was purchased in mid-August 2017.
Ditto for our 2018 305RL. It is going in to our dealer for drip pans and new slide roofs. Our dealer said Keystone is well aware of the problem.
2018 Silverado 3500HD
walterc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:42 AM   #26
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Sounds like a class action lawsuit to force a recall with a proper fix!! Drip pans are NOT a proper fix!!! Let me know when you have a lawyer setup
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:23 PM   #27
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Washed mine yesterday, and sure enough, the new replacement motor on the kitchen slide has leaked, and the roof has bubbled. But that isn't the worst of my discoveries; the roof has pulled away from the front end cap (or vice-versa). I am about one major repair away from dumping this turkey, it has been one damn thing after another, now i get to look forward to having it sit for 6-8 weeks at the dealer. We love RVing, but are REALLY starting to HATE our RV!

If I thought that Keystone actually monitored this site, I would have a few choice words just for them.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:27 PM   #28
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
3 out of 4 of my slides have dripping gearboxes and damaged slides. Just picked up my camper and opened another ticket.
Poke super lignum unum et diem
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:00 PM   #29
CanalesPac

M.O.C. #21018
Ours has been in for repair on one slide (they glued down the original membrane from what I can tell, but it came back up). It’s still there on another repair trip since the second week of July and we were just informed today that they have warranty authorization to fix all slide roofs and add drip pans. I’m waiting to see the work order to know what is to be done exactly, but this timeline for approval is ridiculous. It’s been there over a month on THIS trip and it’s a known problem. Now they can order the parts. We’re stuck without our RV and everything left in the trailer is sitting out on the 100+ outdoor temps. I don’t think it’s our dealer’s fault, but it’s still pretty frustrating. I’m wondering what else we should have done before dropping it off for an unexpected extended stay at the dealership. On the plus side: the fridge is empty (I think).
CanalesPac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:10 PM   #30
Foodgod1
Established Member

M.O.C. #21586
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalesPac View Post
Ours has been in for repair on one slide (they glued down the original membrane from what I can tell, but it came back up). It’s still there on another repair trip since the second week of July and we were just informed today that they have warranty authorization to fix all slide roofs and add drip pans. I’m waiting to see the work order to know what is to be done exactly, but this timeline for approval is ridiculous. It’s been there over a month on THIS trip and it’s a known problem. Now they can order the parts. We’re stuck without our RV and everything left in the trailer is sitting out on the 100+ outdoor temps. I don’t think it’s our dealer’s fault, but it’s still pretty frustrating. I’m wondering what else we should have done before dropping it off for an unexpected extended stay at the dealership. On the plus side: the fridge is empty (I think).
I record all conversations with the service department. My service department advised me that we could pick up our camper and continue on our vacation through October. By that time the parts will be in and I can bring my 5er back in for repairs. We should be pretty well done with long trips for the year by then. See if your service department will do the same. Download a recording app on your phone and record everything.
Foodgod1 is offline   Reply With Quote