Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2019, 01:05 PM   #1
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
Keystone LoadSafe Concept

Keystone recently unveiled a new innovation called LoadSafe. The below video explains the feature and benefit.

Would this be a useful feature?
What would you pay for an option like this?

Old 03-15-2019, 01:58 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Seems like a good concept. No clue how much it would add to cost. Seems like the real payoff would be on a toy hauler where you can make major weight changes by driving a vehicle into it. Would also be worthwhile on other rigs.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:46 PM   #3
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
I very well may wind up being the only one with this opinion but I see this as a solution looking for a problem. If this took 4 years to develop then it is way to complicated for the application environment IMHO. If history is any indicator then I would have concerns regarding the components and their ease of repair, replacement and reliability. In addition in the event that something happens how do you certify that the weights were accurate? Is there a calibration process? Who can certify that it was calibrated correctly? If not then what's the point. Scales are readily available and certified. I would happily spend $15 for two weighs any day of the week. I have no idea what this will add to the cost of a coach as an option but I know it's a lot more than the $30 it will cost me to weigh my rig and truck twice a year.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:25 PM   #4
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
If I cared that much, I'd rather just buy a portable scale system than something that would be permanent on the trailer. You could use it on any rig too. I'd imagine the Keystone option price would far exceed a portable setup.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:00 PM   #5
lundwc16
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17988
To answer the OP second question, it's an option I would leave off my wish list, so the amount I would pay is zero.
John
Old 03-15-2019, 06:03 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Once a year we pay to have our rig and truck weighed. The problem we found was the truck could handle the weight, but you couldn't by SRW tires to handle that weight wouldn't have been caught by a system on the trailer. In fact it would have given me confidence I shouldn't have had. So it's a big no for me.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:47 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Could this answer the question no one was asking?
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:49 PM   #8
TennTom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22087
Neat gadget. Enough said.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:51 PM   #9
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
No thanks I'll go weigh my setup at the cat-scale once a year.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:53 AM   #10
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Okay I'll weigh in on this one. Sorry too easy

It looks like it would be Legacy only. Unless of course you start adding InCommand to non-Legacy. So this limits the pool.

The Units this would be useful are the 3790/3791 372/373 and 380/381. 2 of those are MHC and not legacy available. I pick these units because they have the most cargo space.

Let's assume I am wrong(don't tell DW I put that in writing) and you make available for all legacy and non-legacy.

You might want to get answers to the following questions:
How many have ever loaded up and then hit the scales?
How often do those that hit the scales go more than once? Our "load wold only change +- 200 pounds depending on trip.
How many have ever overloaded their 5er?
How many even care about the weight? (think of the number of folks here that pull with a 3/4T) I know this will get some folks defensive, but this is a discussion about staying within published weights.

Now if you really want to add a feature people would pay extra for how about disk brakes available for non-legacy.
How much money is being left on the table for that omission?
Dometic 310/320 as an option? Or just make the switch and be done with it.
Drawers lower cabinets in 3700/3701LK. Who ever heard of a Luxury Kitchen without a pantry?

I could go on, but you should get the idea. Focus on what folks would use everyday (or more than once everyday in the case of a 320) and less bells and whistles.

You can use this tag line once you get there "Montana the Best selling usable luxury 5th wheel on the market."

Well off to build drawers to make DW happy. pix to follow
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:37 AM   #11
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Keystone needs to be investing $ into build QUALITY not snake oils like this garbage that will just fail anyway.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:41 AM   #12
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Okay I'll weigh in on this one. Sorry too easy

It looks like it would be Legacy only. Unless of course you start adding InCommand to non-Legacy. So this limits the pool.

The Units this would be useful are the 3790/3791 372/373 and 380/381. 2 of those are MHC and not legacy available. I pick these units because they have the most cargo space.

Let's assume I am wrong(don't tell DW I put that in writing) and you make available for all legacy and non-legacy.

You might want to get answers to the following questions:
How many have ever loaded up and then hit the scales?
How often do those that hit the scales go more than once? Our "load wold only change +- 200 pounds depending on trip.
How many have ever overloaded their 5er?
How many even care about the weight? (think of the number of folks here that pull with a 3/4T) I know this will get some folks defensive, but this is a discussion about staying within published weights.

Now if you really want to add a feature people would pay extra for how about disk brakes available for non-legacy.
How much money is being left on the table for that omission?
Dometic 310/320 as an option? Or just make the switch and be done with it.
Drawers lower cabinets in 3700/3701LK. Who ever heard of a Luxury Kitchen without a pantry?

I could go on, but you should get the idea. Focus on what folks would use everyday (or more than once everyday in the case of a 320) and less bells and whistles.

You can use this tag line once you get there "Montana the Best selling usable luxury 5th wheel on the market."

Well off to build drawers to make DW happy. pix to follow
Jeff,

I think this is intended for a true toy hauler like a Fuzion or a Raptor vice a Montana. We can't drive a heavy UTV or sandrail into the back of ours like you can with a true hauler and can manage fine with a trip to the scale.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:10 AM   #13
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
Do the people at Keystone actually listen to what the customers would like to see in their units??????? I don't recall even one MOC member mention anything that even resembles this. It would seem to me that the monies expended to develop such a useless option could have been spent on some the the concerns with quality improvement of their already developed product. A prime example is the pivot door, how many have replaced it? Or better yet, how many LIKE it?
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #14
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
If it is a 300 dollar option, it is a waste of money when you can CAT scale twice a year for 10 years. Now if you regularly carry widely changing loads in a toyhauler there might be some value. For most people , me included, I suspect this is unnecessary and pure profit for dealer that will spec the units they order to sell on their lot.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:25 AM   #15
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmthelen View Post
Do the people at Keystone actually listen to what the customers would like to see in their units??????? I don't recall even one MOC member mention anything that even resembles this. ...
MAybe not, but how many times have there been discussion on "is my trailer too heavy, or can my truck tow this"
... blah blah blah... This product is for the lazy RV buyer that does not want to or cannot do the simple math. If you have a toy hauler and vary what you carry by a wide margin frequently... you have a use for this... most of us would not.

Profit center for the RV dealer, nothing more.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #16
Pops8
Established Member

M.O.C. #21706
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
Keystone needs to be investing $ into build QUALITY not snake oils like this garbage that will just fail anyway.
X2 ! !
Old 03-24-2019, 02:11 PM   #17
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
I know where this is going. They're going to put it on the hi-end units and eventually it will spread to all units. Hopefully it won't be legislated as a required safety feature. And the selling point will be that you'll get an insurance break for this safety feature. What the video didn't tell us is what the recourse is if the weights do turn red for overloading the RV or for a rear heavy load. Does it set the brakes and you're not permitted to go? I have to say that I appreciate their concern for the right-size load. After-all, that's why some can't stop to avoid the accident or why handling problems caused the accident. But rather than building the RV thinner and flimsier each year, I'd rather see the materials being used stronger and safer even though they might be lighter and weigh less. I'd rather have faith that if I did overload that this good RV it is going to survive and still be going down the road. I would prefer that the truck had the sensors to detect an overload whether in the bed or being towed. That would help with the 3/4 Ton problem.

But in reality i don't think they're going to build an RV that has all hydreaulic slides, and walls that don't pull apart, and floors that don't sag with tires rated for more than the posted load, and with built in tire pressure monitors. And if that's going to be the norm, then they'd better get to adding these features (at no additional cost) that protect us from all of failures that are going to happen regardless of load.

My opinion is that if the quality of the new RV was an improvement over the good quality of my 10-yr old unit, then I would check the scale option off as an enhancement that I might be interested in. But it's just like putting Onstar and air-conditioning and power steering on a go-cart. If the skeleton isn't a car, why add lipstic?
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:05 PM   #18
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
Seems like a fancy solution to a basic problem. Going to the DOT scale is free.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:14 PM   #19
Patyacht

M.O.C. #22123
Weight Calculator

As a toy hauler owner that lives in a rural area without access to scales etc, I think it's a great idea. Wish it could be retrofitted into my 'In Command" system. But the real question is: Do you want to hear the answer to the question?
Patyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:37 PM   #20
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
and off to the races

Could care less, if you don`t know the weight of the things you put in the camper it`s your fault if you imbalance your unit. You can scale the camper once a year for 20 dollars so if you keep your unit 5 years that`s a big hundred bucks, as apposed to the cost of that option to find out what you weights are front to back with pin weight to. I can hear it now ,sorry sir your out of the one year warranty that will be 600.00 to replace the thing-a-ma-jig.
I think they could have spent more money on engineering the frame to withstand the punishment the pin box area takes from the roads.
Sorry mines falling apart at 1 1/2 years old from inadequate design. I know it`s my fault for driving it on the road and not using it as a park model. Kinda like the whole tire thing.Or the brakes that marginally stop theses beasts.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote