Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
frame and pinbox cracks

I have heard there is a problem with frame and pinbox cracking on Montanas. Is that true, and what should I look for. I bought a 3670RL 2003 and I have found no problems with cracks. Is the owners of other 5th wheels just jealous? I think the name of the frame maker was lippert?

ps..this is a great forum..thanks!

Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:05 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Montana Rog -

Not sure if it was an epidemic, but there have been some Montana and Big Sky's that have had broken welds. Once they start, they get pretty destructive inside.

Symptoms are forward lower molding movement when the 5th is supported on the pin or hitch, as well as later symptoms that may include exterior cracks in the siding near the bedroom slide, or interior separation or compression in the bedroom.

To inspect, you need to remove the lower cover around the pin box. Inspect the frame welds and also the spot welds at the side frames that hold the aluminum walls as shown in this picture:

http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL152.../187810455.jpg

Also check your frame welds in the upper parts of the forward compartment and LP compartments as shown:

http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL152.../187810467.jpg

If you feel uncomfortable checking for the problem, I would take it to the Dealer.

There are several posts that show some of the broken welds. You can use the search feature.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:12 PM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Brad's advice is very good. We took ours to the Keystone Service Center and they did a great repair at no cost. It seems that 2003s and 2004s may have the most problem. One thing about Keystone is that you'll get great customer service for the most part. They back their product.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:05 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Remember not all the 03 and 04 Montana's are going to have this problem. While at the factory having some repairs done, they checked my entire coach for frame flex. I have none, and my coach was built during the time that the frame flex appears to be showing. I believe alot has to do with how you treat your coach while out on the road, how many miles you have towed, and what type of hitch you have.

I can only 2nd Judy's post about Keystone providing superior customer service and how they back their product. I have seen it first hand with my own coach!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:43 AM   #5
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I guess my 2002 3255RL might be in order for a repair? I have yet to pull the belly pan but did inspect inside LP enclosures which has no signs of any problems. It appears this might have happened long ago as these two points do not have good welds set into both metal contact. Would you thing Keystone would consider my coach too "old" and I'm on my own?
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:51 PM   #6
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I had mine inspected while at the Rally by the service center folks and they agreed there was a problem and I am waiting for an appointment to take it back and have it looked at closer. Mine isn't nearly as bad as some I have seen but we don't haul ours around as some of the full timers on this site do.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:06 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
No problems with my 2003 Big Sky 3670 RL.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:11 AM   #8
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Been there, had that and we had treated our 5W with kid gloves--think one pothole in the freeway at the wrong time can do it---it is a design or material flaw! While towing, look carefully in the rearview mirror and see how much flex up and down there is between the pinbox and the front cap. If it is moving a lot and more than 1/2", then you may have a problem. With the weigth of the 5W on the hitch, check to see if the molding along the edge under the over hang has moved from the side. Then with the weight only on the landing gear, see if the molding goes back to the original position. If this happens then you have a problem. It can create a whole lot of damage inside over a short time.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote