Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2006, 11:53 AM   #1
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
TABLE FOR LAPTOP IN TV

I Had a few scraps of 1 X 4 pine and part of a Mahogany door skin around so here is what it turned into. Works great. We use MS Streets & trips so needed a better way to hold the Laptop.
J&D

JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Nice job!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Very nice job.

Question - - one thing I have noticed about using my lap top in the TV, is that the puter is subjected to "road bounce", does your screen move around with this set up???

Judy, same question to you, do you notice any "bounce" while you are surfing and Glen is driving??

We are concerned about any possible stress on the hinges of the lap top.

Thanks

And again, VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:24 PM   #4
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Carol,
I have our laptop open almost all of the time we are traveling, either using Streets & Trips or just online. I haven't had any problems at all with the "bounce". I too was a bit concerned at first about the hinges maybe springing or whatever, but after using it over and over again, there has been no problems.

Joy T.
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:48 PM   #5
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Carol,
Have not noticed too much bounce ( unless you are driving down I-5 in Seattle ). Your lucky if the roof doesn't bounce off your truck on that road. I didn't like having the laptop right on the seat because the laptop cooling fan draws air from the bottom and I felt it was getting smothered by sitting on the soft seat top. Plus this makes the screen much easier to see. I guess it bounces a little but most of the bounce shock is taken up by the foam in the seats.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:54 PM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Thanks for that feedback

They make a lap top fan/chiller. I cannot for the life of me remember the exact name, I have one made by Targus, it goes UNDER the lap top and has several little fans that pull the heat away from the laptop. It is run off USB ports, and I LOVE MINE@!!!!

I have been in libraries where you can hear all the patrons lap tops running the fans, exhausting the heat. Cannot hear mine, cause the lap top fan rarely comes on. And you hear very little noise from the chill pad.

JH Sechelt, have you traveled with the lap top on your new wooden shelf??? how is the bounce on that??

Thanks all!!! Good info here!
Old 05-28-2006, 02:04 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, depending on how I situate the laptop mine will rock a bit sometimes. But this laptop has done roughly 50,000 miles sitting on a pine board strapped to the console and is none the worse for wear. I don't recall the screen moving on the hinges, though. Just the whole thing rocks if I move it way forward.

The board is covered with velcro as is the bottom of the laptop but I don't think that gives much cushioning.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 02:49 PM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Thanks Steve,

Guess we are a bit paranoid but this particular computer, it has already had the hinges busted and replaced under warranty, a factory default, of which we were aware. We did note though, that when the computer came back the ease of opening and closing the top was greatly improved over the OEM hinges. So far so good on the 2nd/replacement hinges. Something we are just a little in tune to, cause of our individual experience.

With your observations, maybe we won't be quite so nervous bout it next time we get on some rough roads.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:41 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I was going to get one of those devices that police use to mount the computer in the patrol ccar but now the forum has given me a great idea. Think we have stuff around the house that can turn into a Pc shelf
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:37 AM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We jusst installed the kind the police use. Bought it on eBay for around $30. Has an acrylic platform with velcro. The base screws into the floor or can be hooked to the seat bolt or put in sa cup holder. It is all 1/2 " metal pipe and you can buy extra pieces for a different configuration at any hardware store. We put ours in a cup holder, then elbowed it over to passenger side. Works really well and has a quick disconnect.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:48 AM   #11
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I do not take my 'puter in the truck. Bill say's it's the only time he knows of that I'm not on that @#$% thing. We have Tom Tom GPS and that works just fine for us.

My camera sits in my lap ready to shoot though.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:00 PM   #12
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Real nice job!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:04 PM   #13
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Hey Sue

Any chance of a photo of your set up with the cup holder, etc???
Old 05-30-2006, 04:05 PM   #14
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Nice job on your computer table. We have captains chairs with full console between the seats so that wouldn't be an option for us - I don't know about the police holder. We put the GPS from Camping World on the laptop and our temp solution last year was a cooler that sits between the back seat and console with a non-slip rubber on top - that way we have cold water and a table for the computer. As far as the wear on the hinges I worry about that as well with the bounce as I have noticed the screen moving some. It isn't loose but does have a little movement. It does seem to run the fan quite a bit so going to check into the chill pad that CountryGuy mentioned.

I also keep the camera and camcorder handy for use on the road.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:26 PM   #15
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Carol
Been having too much fun to post picture (LOL). Will try in the next few days.
Happy trails.........................
Old 05-31-2006, 02:51 AM   #16
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Having too much fun is a lousy excuse Sue!
Old 05-31-2006, 10:19 AM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
mobilelaptopmount.com Look at all the pictures you can access at the top of the page and you will get lots of ideas of different ways to install. The nice things is you can alter the basic unit just by buying the 1/2 metal pipe at a hardware store. Plus they were really nice to deal with, speedy shipping and easy to pay. You buy through ebay and if you have never done this, don't be afraid. I use ebay quite a bit and have had no problems. Our son-in-law is an ebay junkie and in all the years he has used it (buys and sells), he only got burnt once.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:32 PM   #18
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Thanks Sue!!

Still having fun??? Hope so!!>G>G>G
Old 06-04-2006, 10:47 AM   #19
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Here's a couple of manufactors that make the Mounts for Police and Utility Company's. The Units are No-Dril and attach to seat bolts.

http://www.ram-mount.com/laptop_moun...aptop_desk.htm

http://www.mobiledesk.com/

Maybe A little pricey, but solid units with versatility
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:33 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

mobilelaptopmount.com Look at all the pictures you can access at the top of the page and you will get lots of ideas of different ways to install. The nice things is you can alter the basic unit just by buying the 1/2 metal pipe at a hardware store. Plus they were really nice to deal with, speedy shipping and easy to pay. You buy through ebay and if you have never done this, don't be afraid. I use ebay quite a bit and have had no problems. Our son-in-law is an ebay junkie and in all the years he has used it (buys and sells), he only got burnt once.
Looked at the website..called Helen upstaires and said.."look at this" and she said order one..Been looking at other sites and very similar units are costing 250.00 +..Thanks a bunch..Humm lets see June 6th is our anniversary..think I can pass this off as a anniversary gift????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote