Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2018, 03:46 PM   #1
Rchiasson

M.O.C. #21488
Air getting under vinyl roof

On my last trip someone said the front of my camper has what looks like the Vynal is forming a bubble. Sure enough you can see how the Vynal has saperated from the plywood. Apparently the caulking hasn’t sealed the front cap to the roof. I wanna remove the caulking and reseal the Vynal to the roof. Any suggestions on removing the caulking? Can a all purpose glue be used to reseal the Vynal? My Montana is only three years old. Thanks for any helpful suggestions.

Rchiasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Your EPDM roof should be fully adhered to the ply roof decking, On our last Keystone with the EPDM roofing I removed the decora sealant with a putty knife carefully and cleaned it with denatured alcohol and resealed with decora sealant. There is a cleaner for EPDM, I used camo brand that Walmart sells to clean it.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:46 PM   #3
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rchiasson View Post
On my last trip someone said the front of my camper has what looks like the Vynal is forming a bubble. Sure enough you can see how the Vynal has saperated from the plywood. Apparently the caulking hasn’t sealed the front cap to the roof. I wanna remove the caulking and reseal the Vynal to the roof. Any suggestions on removing the caulking? Can a all purpose glue be used to reseal the Vynal? My Montana is only three years old. Thanks for any helpful suggestions.
If you’re the original owner the roof is guaranteed for 10 yrs. make em fix it!

Mark
Old 10-30-2018, 09:21 PM   #4
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
I agree with Mark on the warranty but if you fix it your self it is a rubber roof you need to use rubber cement on it. You use a dull putty to remove the Dicore caulking then remove the trim metal brush on the rubber cement on the under lament and the rubber roof let it air dry and relay it down then role it out. reinstall trim metal and Dicore caulking.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:56 PM   #5
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I know you don't want the dealer to touch it but i believe the warranty is 12 years and you might void the warranty if you touch the roof yourself. Unless you feel very comfortable working on the roof this is one project even though small might be better left to the dealer. I would at least call the dealer and ask a few questions.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:37 PM   #6
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
The rubber material does have a long time warranty. Does the warranty include poor installation by the trailers manufacturer? Afterall, it isn't the rubber roof manufacturers problem if their product is not applied correctly.