Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2017, 05:59 PM   #1
BUBBA-NONNIE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19549
Montana Axles

I purchased a Montana 3000RE on 3/10, and for some reason I had a hunch that I needed to make sure the axles were aligned. Sure enough, they are so much out of line that it is going to take a major repair to fix the problems. The repair shop said it the beam and axles would have to be removed and replaced.
If you have not had your axles checked, you might want to have a qualified shop do this for you.

BUBBA-NONNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #2
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
Hewitt's alignment in Stockton can bend them into alignment, takes a couple hours, there real good at it, 4 hours north of you make a trip out of it, east an hour is Jackson, lots to see and do
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:50 AM   #3
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

RonD gas good advice the company on the east coast of Florida is Hickman’s in Ft Pierce to align your axles.

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:48 PM   #4
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Another is Johnson Trailer in Salinas, California, ask for Mark.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:12 PM   #5
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Don't you have correct track on that model? If you do it should be a simple adjustment of the alignment plate to get your axles square with the trailer and inline with each other.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you've ever pulled out of Elkhart, IN in the evening and gotten passed by trailer haulers doing 90 and then watched them pulling the trailers over curbs at rest stops and other places you wouldn't ever trust OEM tires or alignments.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #7
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Or if you have crawled under and checked the torque on the ubolts...finding them way off.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:08 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What the previous two post said....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #9
BUBBA-NONNIE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19549
I recently purchased a new Montana and it was suggested that I might want to get the axles and the wheel alignment checked. After I drove the trailer home, which was about 130 miles. When I got home I had a reputable axle shop to check the axles alignment to make sure everything was square and true. The shop foreman informed me that the axles were not aligned properly and could have even been damaged, and he refused to work on the axles because he was afraid the warranty would be voided. I took the trailer back to the dealer for repair. Currently I am being told by the dealer's service department that the axles and alignment are excluded from the warranty in the owner's manual per Keystone, and the measurements are ok, but Keystone is willing to send two more axles. The axles in question will be sent back to Keystone to verify condition. If they find there is no problem with the axles, then I have to pay for the new axles and the installation. I need some advice on how to handle this. Please help if you can. I paid a bundle for this trailer and have not got to use it yet!!
Old 04-17-2017, 08:25 PM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'd imagine a printed and dated read-out from your axle shop emailed to a Keystone warranty rep would more than support your cause. Like mentioned ... new units go thru some rough handling by the delivery drivers once they leave the factory headed to a dealer. Sadly most any dealer doesn't have the equipment nor the trained personnel to check alignments ... so that relegates them to just parts changers. You could have perfectly good axles, but spring hangers not welded in the right place causing skewed alignment in relation to each other and the frame. You could have a busted spring pin that locates them on the spring perch that's welded to the axle ... all kinds of scenarios.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:43 PM   #11
BUBBA-NONNIE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19549
Thank you for your response. The axle shop's report was given to the dealer. The axle shop performed the work using a lazer and the dealer's shop used a metal tape measure.
The rig is in the dealers shop and depending on Keystone's feedback I may have to take the rig out of the shop and take it to an axle shop, but I do not want to void any warranties.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:14 AM   #12
Todd727
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19394
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBA-NONNIE View Post
Thank you for your response. The axle shop's report was given to the dealer. The axle shop performed the work using a lazer and the dealer's shop used a metal tape measure.
The rig is in the dealers shop and depending on Keystone's feedback I may have to take the rig out of the shop and take it to an axle shop, but I do not want to void any warranties.
Well, if Keystone doesn't fix it, you don't have any warranties to void...
Old 05-15-2017, 07:50 PM   #13
travelinsparky
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12412
I just bit the bullet on my way to have IS and disk brakes installed at morryde. Should have had it done sooner, but installation on the west coast is iffy. WE have lost wet bolts replaced spring hangers, tire and lost an Axle. We have put a lot of miles and looking at rebuilding the suspension.
travelinsparky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle