Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Sitting in One Spot

We have a job will keep us in one spot for a year or perhaps even two, so we have been told. Yes, we're residing in it.

We're wondering what, besides the routine maintenance and upkeep, we should consider doing for our Monty while we're stationary.

We've talked about taking the rig out at some point for say a weekend trip just to get it moving but what else might some of you suggest to keep our beloved Monty happy?

BTW, if you Keystone folks are reading - we love our Montana!!! Thanks again, guys!

Betty

TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Probably only the tires will suffer from inactivity.
Most advice I've read from manufacturers is to move/roll them at least every three months and over-inflate by 10% when stored.
Also keep them covered.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
+1 ... good advice.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RRman

Probably only the tires will suffer from inactivity.
Most advice I've read from manufacturers is to move/roll them at least every three months and over-inflate by 10% when stored.
Also keep them covered.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I would include bring the slides in say monthly.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
NewFlyLady
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8071
Well, I had mine stationary for 4 years while I was working in Canada. At first I tried bringing the slides in every 3 months but that was way to much work so I stopped. Once we decided to move it to our Montana house we just took it in for a complete check up and everythng was fine. Of course, our tires were made in the USA. I did make sure that I did a good flush cleaning of the gray and black tanks every few months.
NewFlyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:59 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We stayed a year and a half in Washington, on the Olympic Peninsula. We did move to another site after a year. About 2 weeks before we knew we were going to move, we started preparing for it, both inside and out. Inside, we cleared out things we weren't going to carry forward. Outside, I began thoroughly checking and testing all the systems, i.e., slides, tires, brakes, drain the hot water heater and check anode, clean and lube hitch and king pin, clean and lube slide rails, and anything else related. I didn't want to wait to moving day and be negatively surprised.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote