Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #61
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
We got our Monty last month, upgrading from a Wildcat 30'. I have a Honda 1000 and a Generac 4000. The Honda can be used to power everything except the a/c and the hot water heater. I'm guessing it will not run the fireplace either though don't know for sure. The Generac sounds like someone is cutting the grass and weighs a thousand pounds if it weighs one. This would be the reason for having wheels but the wheels don't help it get in and out of my truck. When travelling I put the Generac in the bed of the truck. The Monty is pre wired for the Onan. I have always said our next rig will have the generator built in. I have found the portable gens to be quite a burden. It gets old in a hurry getting going outside to start/stop the generator. Theft potential is another issue. Here is a great website for info on this and many other topics. www.klenger.net

bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #62
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bighornram

We got our Monty last month, upgrading from a Wildcat 30'. I have a Honda 1000 and a Generac 4000. The Honda can be used to power everything except the a/c and the hot water heater. I'm guessing it will not run the fireplace either though don't know for sure. The Generac sounds like someone is cutting the grass and weighs a thousand pounds if it weighs one. This would be the reason for having wheels but the wheels don't help it get in and out of my truck. When travelling I put the Generac in the bed of the truck. The Monty is pre wired for the Onan. I have always said our next rig will have the generator built in. I have found the portable gens to be quite a burden. It gets old in a hurry getting going outside to start/stop the generator. Theft potential is another issue. Here is a great website for info on this and many other topics. www.klenger.net
Thanks bighornram. This is what really helps is guys who have experience using the generators and the pros and cons. Have decided for convenience, and my bad back, we are going to go with the onboard generator and just hope it's not finicky. Are you going to add one? Thanks for the klenger.com link - some very good info on there.

Greg
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:30 AM   #63
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We have had the on board (on a previous motor home) and now have the 3000 Honda in the back of the truck. We seldom boondock so niether gets used much and for the price difference it is a no brainer for us to go with the Honda. Our 3000 Honda is heavy and now wish we went with the 2 2000's just for the convience of transporting. But it works for us and not as costly to run, we can put it where we want with lock and key. front or back of unit.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #64
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Thanks bighornram. This is what really helps is guys who have experience using the generators and the pros and cons. Have decided for convenience, and my bad back, we are going to go with the onboard generator and just hope it's not finicky. Are you going to add one? Thanks for the klenger.com link - some very good info on there.

Greg
Greg, I run a solar panel with an inverter as my main power source for boondocking. I don't know yet how much power this trailer uses but my old rig I could power the TV and satellite from the inverter for several hours a day, keep the 12 volt battery bank fully charged. The generator is really needed for high power consumption devices, a/c, microwave etc. When we do travel, then generator is a huge asset and in my opinion a liability. We do feel that the internal genset will be well worth the expense for the added convenience. I think we really made that decision years ago. After travelling across the Texas panhandle in mid June, pulled in to Walmart camp in Amarillo. 110* at 7pm. I had a new Honda 3000 and it wouldn't run the 13.5 a/c unit! I had both the a/c and Honda checked. Both checked out ok. Thankfully the Honda dealer took the generator back! We got a Honda 1000 and use it unless. The Generac was pretty reasonably priced and runs the a/c nicely but as I mentioned earlier, very heavy and loud. I can't wait to get the Onan.
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #65
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
We had the Onan 3600 (30amp) on our 01 Montana and when we got the Big Sky it was prep for the Onan 5500. I hardly ever used the gen. in the 01 but since I had it I took it out of the old one and put it in the new one. We do not boon-dock so we hardly use it but I used it a couple of weeks ago when we were at a campground and they lost power. This unit uses .6 gal/ hour at 1/2 load so a 30 lb tank should run it about 12-14 hours.
If I were looking today I would have it on board for the convenience but would have the 5500 not that I need the power but that is what the montana is prep for.
Most of the time we are hooked to 30 amp in the campgrounds so we can run the same things off the generator.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #66
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bighornram

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Greg, I run a solar panel with an inverter as my main power source for boondocking. I don't know yet how much power this trailer uses but my old rig I could power the TV and satellite from the inverter for several hours a day, keep the 12 volt battery bank fully charged. The generator is really needed for high power consumption devices, a/c, microwave etc. When we do travel, then generator is a huge asset and in my opinion a liability. We do feel that the internal genset will be well worth the expense for the added convenience. I think we really made that decision years ago. After travelling across the Texas panhandle in mid June, pulled in to Walmart camp in Amarillo. 110* at 7pm. I had a new Honda 3000 and it wouldn't run the 13.5 a/c unit! I had both the a/c and Honda checked. Both checked out ok. Thankfully the Honda dealer took the generator back! We got a Honda 1000 and use it unless. The Generac was pretty reasonably priced and runs the a/c nicely but as I mentioned earlier, very heavy and loud. I can't wait to get the Onan.
I have thought about solar as well. I am going to see if they will at least wire it for me when I order so it's there. Texas with no AC would not be fun. We lived there for four years, can't imagine not having AC, too old for that any more
Old 09-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #67
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by awaywego

We had the Onan 3600 (30amp) on our 01 Montana and when we got the Big Sky it was prep for the Onan 5500. I hardly ever used the gen. in the 01 but since I had it I took it out of the old one and put it in the new one. We do not boon-dock so we hardly use it but I used it a couple of weeks ago when we were at a campground and they lost power. This unit uses .6 gal/ hour at 1/2 load so a 30 lb tank should run it about 12-14 hours.
If I were looking today I would have it on board for the convenience but would have the 5500 not that I need the power but that is what the montana is prep for.
Most of the time we are hooked to 30 amp in the campgrounds so we can run the same things off the generator.
Yeah, we do a lot of dry camping so if nothing else, I have a really expensive way to charge the batteries with the generator I am having them put 40#'s in place of the 30#'s to help a little. We are fairly moderate weather wise, but I think as a back-up for AC the 5500 is going to be very nice. I like it cool. I'm looking forward to actually being fully self-contained so we can "rough it" wherever we want...