Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2017, 09:09 PM   #1
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Question Winterizing with VIAIR 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor

Does anyone own one of these and use it to winterize using it to blow water out of the lines? Does it produce enough volume to do the job?

CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:22 AM   #2
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
I know it works on tires, saw it at the Rally. Ordered one from Amazon when I got home, arrives on Wednesday. I'll try it on the lines and let you know the results. If it doesn't work, I still have my old pancake as a backup. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORattler View Post
Does anyone own one of these and use it to winterize using it to blow water out of the lines? Does it produce enough volume to do the job?

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Former StClairSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:30 AM   #3
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
The Vail is on my wish list but for now I use my portable 110V, 150 PSI compressor to blow out the lines. I always reduce the pressure it puts out to about 25PSI so it doesn't blow out any lines or connections. This is lots to blow out the water in the lines and I would think that the Viair would put out enough to do the job.
Be interested to hear from someone who owns one and uses it for that purpose.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:25 PM   #4
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
Here is a link to a video using a Viair compressor to blow out the water lines.

http://www.thervgeeks.com/?s=Viair+and+winterizing
Mr Pachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:30 PM   #5
David T. MacNeill
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pachu View Post

Man that looks like a great compressor but it sure is pricey. Can anyone suggest a comparable AC powered unit for less? I don’t need portability but I do need reliablity to keep the rig tires topped up and to blow out Monty’s water lines.
David T. MacNeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:50 PM   #6
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
If you have access to AC, i.e. Campground power, then any portable compressor will do. Shop around for price and size. If your tires are E rated then something with max 100 PSI rating will do. If you have G rated tires and need to air them up to 110 PSI then get something with max 150 PSI capability. Just remember to reduce the PSI in the tank side to 25-30PSI so you don't blow a line out when winterizing.
If you want ability to air up on the road or boondock then a 12 V unit like Viair is the most recommended unit, although pricey.
I've used both methods, blowing out lines and RV Pink. I feel more confident that I've got all the water out with the Pink method. If you have a black tank flush you will have to blow that out as I don't know of a way to suck the Pink into that line as it's not connected to the Winterizing line, at least not in my unit.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:10 PM   #7
David T. MacNeill
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli View Post
If you have a black tank flush you will have to blow that out as I don't know of a way to suck the Pink into that line as it's not connected to the Winterizing line, at least not in my unit.
Thanks for the tip. Hadn’t thought about that pipe.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:40 PM   #8
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli View Post
If you have a black tank flush you will have to blow that out as I don't know of a way to suck the Pink into that line as it's not connected to the Winterizing line, at least not in my unit.
I hook up the outdoor shower hose to the black tank flush and open a tap with the pump running. That pumps the rv antifreeze into the line.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:48 PM   #9
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Smile

Quote:

Exactly the info I was looking for !
Thank you very much for the helpful post.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:58 PM   #10
David T. MacNeill
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19930
Quote:
I hook up the outdoor shower hose to the black tank flush and open a tap with the pump running. That pumps the rv antifreeze into the line.
That’s brilliant. Did you have to cut the shower head to install a hose fitting?
Old 10-01-2017, 10:40 PM   #11
David T. MacNeill
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19930
Quote:

Excellent video. They do a good job of linking to their favorite tools on Amazon, but they did not give any model information on the variable pressure regulator with quick disconnect fittings they use. Anyone know where I can buy this unit? Will I have to add the fittings myself? I’ve never worked with this kind of connector before.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:45 PM   #12
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
Quote:
Originally Posted by David T. MacNeill View Post
That’s brilliant. Did you have to cut the shower head to install a hose fitting?
My hose came with a quick disconnect on one end to fasten to the outdoor taps and the other end was a male hose connector. My outdoor shower was a spray nozzle exactly like what you would attach to your garden hose.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:28 AM   #13
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
If you have power, no need to spend that kind of $. Go to home depot and buy a porter cable 150psi pancake compressor. Around $100. This small semi light compressor is capable of airing up 110psi rated tires if you have them or should ever get them.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:42 AM   #14
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
Send a message via AIM to L0veless
Mr Pachu,
was at a park with my 3 water hoses hooked up (fresh water, black water , clear dump cleanout) when one of the other campers came over to look at my set up. he showed me how he did exactly what you did, it was too easy and brilliant plus now I use some hot water in the black tank to clean out. will keep it this way to winterize also. and my rig doesn't look like an octopus is trying to get in.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:44 AM   #15
grumpylane
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20516
pics would be great. thanks in advance
grumpylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:44 PM   #16
bcbounders

M.O.C. #20759
Quote:
Originally Posted by David T. MacNeill View Post
Excellent video. They do a good job of linking to their favorite tools on Amazon, but they did not give any model information on the variable pressure regulator with quick disconnect fittings they use. Anyone know where I can buy this unit? Will I have to add the fittings myself? I’ve never worked with this kind of connector before.
Isn’t what you’re looking for listed in the parts list on the RVgeek’s post here?

http://www.thervgeeks.com/winter-rvi...v-water-lines/
bcbounders is offline   Reply With Quote