Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2015, 11:21 PM   #21
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
This is the who9le reason I don't have a dog. People like it when i don't leave anything behind when I leave. I can't figure out why people bring dogs camping. You have to pick up poo, carry water and more food for them and put up with all that barking.
You dont have to worry about the kids pooing or peeing on your tires and barking all night. Kids are way better on camping trips.
I know people here have dogs and are respectful of others and I appreciate that. I'm just saying why I wouldn't have a dog. I like dogs had them on the farm but that is where they stayed.

The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:55 AM   #22
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Bone

You dont have to worry about the kids pooing or peeing on your tires and barking all night. Kids are way better on camping trips.
I prefer to be "dogless" too but I must say I think the above statement applies to MOST kids.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:54 AM   #23
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Watched while a dog owner got their just rewards. Two year ago we were staying 6 weeks in a great CG. Every Thursday or Friday, the weekend campers showed up. On one weekend, it was 2 trailers with about 12 people and several dogs. When Sunday came for the drive home, everyone including the dogs were just running around everywhere. Fortunately, the biggest dog did his trip prep between the trailers and no one seemed to notice. OK--so everyone is getting close to leaving and one youth managed to find the dogs work. Looks at his shoes--not good. About 20 minute later, into the vehicles and off they went. I bet there was a big stop just a few miles down the road! I wish I could have seen it. And I hope those were some of the $$$ sneakers!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:15 AM   #24
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
We take our dogs to an area that is less likely to see foot traffic, whenever possible. We always walk them in the road. Sometimes on the way there, they do their buisness (1 or 2). If they do, we always make sure we are within a foot of the road, not 10 feet into anothers site. We always pickup after our dogs, no exceptions. Our dogs are never left outside unless we are with them, and we dont allow barking. If they bark, they go inside. If you get upset because a dog crapped next to the road at your site and the owner promptly picked it up, I would guess you get upset about alot of things. As far as kids go, we have had kids riding bikes THROUGH our site, screaming at other kids from 3 sites away, and teenagers using their car stereos for a boom box. No thanks, I choose dogs with respectful owners any day before kids. Oh, by the way, we just moved campsites yesterday in the middle of our stay to get away from an idiot that brought a blood hound camping and tied him up outside. Yeah, that obnoxious barking got reported to the host.
Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:41 AM   #25
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
This is a very hot topic! For us it starts around our neighbor where we live. I cannot believe that some very inconsiderate dog owners bring their animals to do there duty on our lawn. We had a dog for 16 years, and NEVER walked her on others people lawns.

Here in the CG we see the same thing. There is a leash rule that most of the dog owners ignore. They walk their dog on everybody site! I got so mad I told one owner how would you like me to come over and leak on your site.

I'm done.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:31 AM   #26
762x51
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19434
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA-Girl View Post
I would leave a bag of burning dog poo on your steps.
Fond memory this brought up -

When I was 10 or 11 my buddies and I put a bag of cow poo on a hateful neighbors porch with a little kerosene on the top. Lighted, banged on the door and ran and hid.

You can imagine the results.......
Old 08-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #27
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
We are dog-less but it seems to look like a dog and camping go together some how. I have even been asked why we don't have a dog. Hmmm.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:10 PM   #28
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I like dogs, but there should be a limit of no more than 2 dogs period. We have seen too many times, 3 and once in a while 4 dogs. 4 dogs create too much number "2" and I don't care how well behaved they are. I especially detest the "yappers" which are usually the smaller dogs. They bark at anything and are a real annoyance. I found that the park hosts are a joke and so are the state people who work there. If you want to RV you should keep your pets to no more than a total of 2. Its getting worse in all the campgrounds.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:33 AM   #29
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I have mixed emotions when it comes to opinions about other campers with dogs. I was a K-9 handler for part of my career which influences my opinion.

On one hand I find most folks never get their dogs obedience trained and it is a joke to watch them being walked by their dogs. They treat their dogs like children which is a disservice to the dogs in the first place. On the other hand I recognize some folks need for companionship and it is their business how they want to handle and take care of their pets.

They can pee in my rented camp spot and it doesn't bother me. If they drop the deuce then I would expect them to clean it up.

The worse example of rude behavior I have ever witnessed happened in a central Illinois CG over a year ago (I think I told this story before). I was up very early reading the news on my computer. As I watched out the front window of my MH a gentlemen walked his dog past. The dog pulled him over to where my covered Harley was parked. The dog lifted his leg and did what all dogs do naturally. By the time I unwound myself from my computer and seat and got outside he was a couple sites away. I looked at my $150.00 motorcycle cover, now dripping with urine, and was very upset. I yelled down the street at him and warned him in not so nice of words that he should avoid doing anything like that again. He denied that his dog had done it. As I quickly walked in his direction, more possibly expressing my displeasure a little more loudly, he ran to his MH and ducked inside. I cooled down and hosed off my cover.

Later I told the story to the CG management and she said he would never be allowed back in. We have used the CG for extended stays again and I have never seen him again so maybe she did turn him away.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:03 AM   #30
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
Dogs certainly come with issues and there is a case to be made for every owner having to get trained so they can properly train their pets. Course the same can be said of parents.
We always pick up but as mentioned sometimes it's soft and getting it all can be difficult and of course you can't bag the pee. We do try to keep our dog under control till we get to the dog park or an out of the way place but needless to say we aren't always successful.
It really bugs me when pet owners don't pick up or almost encourage their dog to pee on your site. I have also seen dog dodo left in Dog Runs right next to the container of bags provided by the RV park. REALLY! No excuse for that. So inconsiderate.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:09 AM   #31
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I attempt to get the dog away from people's sites, but that doesn't always happen. Regardless, I always bag it and I don't let him pee on people's stuff. I expect the same from others.

I was recently setting up in a site when I almost fell on my arse because I slipped in left behind poop so big it must have come from a Mastiff, and I would have fallen in it, too, had I not been so fleet of foot.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:26 PM   #32
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Issue is rarely the dog but instead rude or clueless owners.

I can't imagine traveling without my dog, a good dog will extend your life. I am also an avid hunter - it is the dog work that brings me back to the field every year.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:52 PM   #33
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I love dogs, its the idiot owners that piss me off! Don't leave your camper with a dog that barks constantly when our trailers are less than 12 foot apart and you leave for a day!. Last week this camper pulled in next to us, the owners left and that SOB barked all day. When they got back the wife asked me how was my dog, I told her it barked all day. So stupid me i\I thought she would take a hint, NO! The next day the same thing! I called security and they moved their camper to a different part of the campground.

Don't you just love it!
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:35 PM   #34
Debgrind85

M.O.C. #20530
Every day I am reminded what is common sense to one is not to another or what is courtesy to one is not to another. Something to keep in mind instead of thinking they are being rude. Yes, there are plain rude folks. I am not naive.

For example to us a dog run is "off leash" space, not the "dog bathroom" place. It never occurred to me folks thought that was the purpose of a dog run. I found myself googling 'dog run' to see if I missed what the definition was!

We have two four legged spoiled kids and consider ourselves very considerate rv'ers. We always have baggies when we walk our kids and make a point of picking it all up-and I do mean all of it. I wouldn't want to step on it or see it either. We don't let them go into occupied sites, wandering for any reason what so ever. However, they are dogs and when they have to pee they have to pee and you can't stop it. If I could clean it up I would after reading how offended some folks are by this happening near them.

If the dog is doing something you don't like, talk to the owner, but be reasonable in expectations.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:26 PM   #35
coachgrowl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20448
We have camped with 2 cats and a dog (labradoodle) for 10 years. Always pick up after our dog goldie. I think dogs keep you grounded. my 2cents.
Sherryl and Ivan
2017 310RE
2017 Ram 2500
coachgrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #36
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
We have 3 furbabies that travel with us (fulltime). They are rescue Yorkies and very small. At no time do we allow our "kids" to go onto someone's site (or our own) to do their business. IMHO, it is the owners that need to be trained.
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:37 AM   #37
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
This is the reason we don't have a dog. We love them but what a pain. All the barking and walking and poop dog hair. To much trouble. Last trip I got bit from a dog and the owner was more concerned that i was going to send his precious dog to heaven. He gathered up his dog and put them back in his camper and took off for the day. He said he was sorry sort of but never came by to see how bad the dog bit me. WATCH little dogs. They are the worst.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:10 PM   #38
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
I would just like to emphasize that when my dog does his duty outside at a campground that I make sure the it is cleaned up. Including the grass and if I have to use fingers through the bag and grab some soil just to make sure.
When my dog is in my yard it is different because he has full reign and I own the property. But I would not allow it at our local park with a doggy area. Nor anywhere on a walk around the neighborhood.
Take a video for proof and take it to the local management. Video will not lie. Unless you stop the video before they walk off.
I have had my dog make an accident when I did not have a bag so I placed sticks ,stones or money (if early in the AM) in the vicinity so I could mark the spot and return when I had a bag. I have also used leaves and brush but it functions only for a campsite or so.