Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2005, 01:43 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Question for the Veteran RV'ers

I have thought about upgrading the axle, brakes, springs etc on my trailer sometime in the future.

I have a 335rlbs and have come to the conclusion having read all the posts that the axles, brakes, wheels and tires to 16" and G rated in place of the 15" D rated currently on the unit, suspension (to beefer and better grade springs and shocks or air bags) etc as the components supplied are barely sufficient for the unit as supplied by the Mfgr.
I am not attempting to increase capacity (I have all the capacity at present I need) I just want to be comfortable in the knowledge that all the components that the coack is resting on are more than capable (with a good margin to spare) to handle the job.
I would suspect that upgrading the axles and suspension components can be done easily enough and at a cost of a few thousand dollars. I would also imaging I could replace the rims and tires for another couple grand. That should vastly improve these areas.
Thoughts??????????

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:00 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
First thought, is how long do you intend on keeping the rig?? If you are someone that holds on to it for a LONG time, that would be one thing. Short time owners that tend to trade every couple of years, that is another story.

Also, something that might come into the mix, is how many miles do you intend to tow every year.

Just a couple of things to add to the confusion of a decision. Good luck with it!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 05:37 PM   #3
Montana_2957
Established Member

M.O.C. #2957
RMccord. Thanks for sharing your recent towing experiences. Although not a railroader, I also was most interested in all the fasinating railroading information on the web link.

I too believe our TTs are under axled and under tired. I have had no problems on the 1st 10,000 miles but don't like the way the axles twist when making sharp corners and load D tires in 15 inch don't give much load reserve. To improve the load/strength in 15 inch, I just purchased ST225/75R15 10-ply Load E (2830#). They give a higher profile and will run at 75# which will translate to about 80# while running hot. Heavier axles and disc brakes are on my wish list, but it is still tire problems that get us in trouble. Since it has taken me two years to get our TT to where we like everything, will not quickly trade (famous last words) but will consider the axle upgrade and disc brakes when begin to see some wear on shakles etc. Mid September will test these tires on 3000 mile trip.
Montana_2957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:30 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don, that twist is part of the design and is not an indication of weakness. No matter how expensive the suspension you put under the rig you'll likely see the same twisting action. First time I saw that I thought something broke. Now I know it's normal. Unless I'm thinking something different than you are addressing.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 07:03 PM   #5
Montana_2957
Established Member

M.O.C. #2957
Steve, I sure you are right. I wonder how much of the twisting action is actually in the shackles and springs and not the axles? It gets my attention every time I notice it. Sometime will have to check that out with a sharp turn in an empty parking lot - crawl under, preferably when stopped - and see what gives. Do you see as much deviation with your new axles and shackles?
Montana_2957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:57 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yes, I do. No difference that I can tell. Way back when, I took a peek under when stopped and the wheels were off kilter like that. It looked to me like normal action of the suspension. But look and see what you think. By the way, all four of our fifthwheels have done the same thing. Same with my brother's. Between us that's four different brands. And I've seen others in rv parks and parking lots doing the same thing. I really don't think it's worth worrying about. That's just an opinion. There are others here far more knowlegeable about these things than I. Maybe they'll comment with better information.

Now, if the wheels actually fall off like we saw when we stopped to see if we could help some folks with a Carriage Cameo (not a cheap rig), then I'd worry. They pulled onto a shoulder with the right wheels going into a soft area and both wheels snapped off. Seriously. I saw it. Both wheels were flat on the ground. Horizontal. The trailer was severely tipped to that side. Now THAT is scary to think about!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:42 AM   #7
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Bob,
I may be wrong but it seems to me the axle problems were corrected when the shackles were replaced. Shackles which have the zerks for lubrication seem to solve most problems.
I would consider E rated tires if it were me, not knowing the weight of your trailer. Be sure there is enough space in the wheel well to accommodate the larger tires and wheels. Good luck!

Weldon
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 05:25 PM   #8
Montana_1988
Established Member

M.O.C. #1988
I upgraded my axles from 6K to 7K. Upgraded tires from E to G and run 85 psi. This is the max for the stock rims. Its stamped on the back of the rims: 85 psi, 3100 lbs. The G tires at 85 psi do not have as much of the twisting action as the E did but it's still there.

I'm really impressed with the disc brakes. Cuts my braking down by at least half if not more.

Dale
Montana_1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:45 PM   #9
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Bob; I am amazed that keystone put 15" wheels on a unit your size. Mine is a 2850RK and I was really disappointed with load range D tires. plus 4K axles. When we went back to the Rally near Elkhart, I went to MOR/Ryde and had the install thier independent suspension and 7K "neverlube" axles, the cost was about$2800 and NOW I wish I would have had 16" wheels and disc brakes done atthe same time , wheels tires and brakes would have been about another 3K Just a thought Dave
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:44 PM   #10
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
It seems to me that underating chassis components is the industry standard. Every RV we have owned was at rated load on the axels then figure out what payload would fit. many of the class a motorhomes have hardly enough payload to accomodate two people much less luggage. Montana seems to assume about 18% of the weight of the unit will be carried on the pin. The rest is designed at max load on the axels. That is to say, two 6000 pound rated axles carry 12000 pounds. Add in the pin weight (2600)and we arrive at allowed gross weight(14600). Of course, there must be a stress allowance in the axle design. Looking at the numbers, I'm hoping the design margin is at least 50 or 60 % on each stress point in the design..

If I were changing components to add strength or stiffness, I would want to know what the weak points in the existing design are. It wouldn't do much good to change tires if the actual weak point is springs, shakles or bearings. The people at Mor/Ryde would seem to be a good source of information about best ways to improve.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 05:26 AM   #11
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
I concur with Dave e Victoria: the shackles and axles have a design rating that probably are up to 50% higher than the listed ratings.

Changing to higher-rated tires are probably a relatively inexpensive way to increase confidence in capacity, but otherwise it's probably whatever you feel most comfortable with.
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote