Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2005, 06:08 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Blown tire update.

I made a claim with my insurer concerning the damage to the coach caused by the blow-outs. They asked many questions about the sequence of events as might be expected. They asked me to take digital photos of all four tires, the two blown tires as well as the two intact. They seemed to think they might be able to persuade the tire company to stand good for the repairs. Their contention is that tires should not have failed in the conditions indicated. We will see.

The serial numbers on the failed tires were very close. The other two had numbers indicating later manufacture. All the tires were manufactured in April of 2002.

For me the point is moot other than to determine who pays the bill. The "E"-rated tires have been replaced with "G"-rated ones and I feel better about that.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:13 PM   #2
Montana_2953
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2953
We will all keep our fingers crossed for you!
Montana_2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:38 AM   #3
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I hope that it works out for you, I to dont think the tires should of failed in those condition. Good Luck
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:52 AM   #4
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
One way or another Stiles, you are going to pay the bill. It will be interesting to see what happens to your insurance rates.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:19 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Bill,

Unless things have changed since I sold casuality policies, non-colision claims do not add points so do not increase rates. Too many claims of this type might get a policy cancellation though.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:41 AM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Stiles,What is the brand of tire ?
I have a freind with an Early Model Monty that had a tire failure and did coach damage.The tire company took care of all including replacing the tires.
I had Generals on my 02 side walls were starting to show signs of seperation I replaced all four.Their was not a General dealer close to try to get Warrinty
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:12 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
kdeiss,

The blown tires were General, called Grabber AW. The tires I replaced them with are Shields. Shields are an off brand. I bought them from a rural tire man that says they are a popular tire with the cattle trailer and hay hauler crowd. This guy is the best con-artist around or he is a straight up guy who has to live with the people he serves and knows his reputation is all he has. A couple of his customers came in while I was waiting and verified that they were receiving good service from the tires.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:38 AM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Yes, My tires were also General Grabber AW.When we were in Flordia on vacation I was pulling the valve to empty the tank I noticed the side wall just did not like what I saw. I removed and took to local tire dealer and he said " I would not drive on that tire back to Pittsburgh" so I purchased 4 new UniRoyal Larado's which I have had good luck on my Pickup's for a lot of years.Their was no doubt this was a defective tire.As I mentioned thir was no General dealer in the area to try to make a claim.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:58 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've had similar problems with Goodyear Marathons on three fifthwheels now. And have heard of a number of folks with the same problems with Michelins. So, I'm watching this thread with interest, hoping there's a brand out there that would give us better service.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 03:53 AM   #10
SRD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #722
Steve,
We've also had 2 blown tires with the Goodyear Marathon on a previous TT (was lucky though, didn't cause any damage to the TT). Both my brother and brother-in-law had blown tires on their previous TT and both caused pretty extensive damage. Since the two blowouts I find I travel with one eye on the road and one eye on my outside mirrors looking watching the tires. If it works the way it is suppose to I like the sound of the Doran tire pressure monitor system.

I have heard truck tires can handle the load of TT or 5ers and have stronger sidewalls. Does anyone have an opinion on advantages/disadvantages of light truck tires vs. TT tires? I bought a new 03 Mountaineer so tires are fine for now, but with Florida sun I figure I may need to be looking at replacing in the next year or two.

Thanks Steve
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 01:48 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
SRD,

The strength of the tires is based on the load ratings and the required pressure for that rating. For instance Load Range "G" tires are rated for a maximum of 3750 lbs @ 110 psi cold. The same tire is rated for 3500 lbs @ 100 psi.

Load Range "E" is rated maximum 3042 lbs @ 80 psi cold. The "E" load range tire is a 10 ply tire. The "D" load range tire is an 8 ply tire. The "G" load range tire is a 14 ply tire.

I am still learning about tires, but it only makes sense that a 14-ply, higher load tire is stronger. This means that my four 14-ply tires @ 100 psi is rated to support 14,000 lbs. Four Load "E", 10-ply tires will support a maximum of 12,168 lbs @ a maximum pressure of 80 psi. Therefore, I am opting for a safety margin of a couple thousand pounds to reduce the stress on my tires.

Maybe my reasoning is all out of whack, but that's my thinking on tires.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:17 PM   #12
SRD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #722
Stiles,
Thanks for the info. That helps.
Steve
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:02 PM   #13
Montana_2957
Established Member

M.O.C. #2957
Steve,
I also have an 03 model 315RLS with about 10,000 miles of hard highway driving - usually 700 mile legs stopping only for gas. Speeds 65 to 72 mph when able (probably too fast). My trailer came with Maxxis 225/75 15 inch D load rating. I have had no problems with these and monitor all with Doran system. This last trip we were heavily loaded 9200# (Trailer GVWR 9520#) balanced tongue weight ok, important because axles are rated at 8800# minus weight of wheels and tires. After last 2000 mile trip, I noted tires wearing on inside of all 4 tires which suggests to me the axles are not handling the increased load well.

Anyway, I am going to replace the tires with an 225/75 15 inch E load rating. I would buy Maxxis again, but they do not have a load E in 15 inch. E rating tires are hard to find in 15 inch. Titan makes a 15 inch 10 ply load E that at 80 psi are load rated at 2830 #. I found no bad reports on the Titan tires. I, like Stiles am just learning about tires, but am also going for a larger safety margin. On the 315, one may be able to run these at 65 psi if lightly loaded - opinions may vary on this.

Concerning LT tires: From my reading, ST tailer tires have stronger sidewalls than LT tires ( believe that came from Good Year web site) and when turning the side walls are stressed more on our heavy TTs. Also important when an 18 wheeler blasts by. One interesting recommendation I came across was if one blew a tire, both tires on that side should be replaced because there was a definite overload on the remaining tire. The more I read about tire problems on TT, the more I am convinced that our heavy trailers are undertired. When was the last time anyone blew out a tire on a truck? Thanks, Stiles, for adding to my education in this. This site is so much fun!! - and educational.
Montana_2957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:20 AM   #14
Montana_3715
Established Member

M.O.C. #3715
I have a 2002 3255RL and had valve stem failure on 3 of 4 tires. Two on the same side, happened on trip to CO from TX. Pulled off in a rest area and both tires on drivers side had only 30lbs. Took both tires into a tire shop and both had valve stem failure, delamination between metal stem and rubber. Two weeks before the trip experienced valve stem failure on right side, one tire. Needless to say when I got to CO, I had the other valve stem replaced. After the CO trip, had blow out on the right side, not one of the tires that had run low. I no longer have General tires.

Paul
Trinidad, TX
Montana_3715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:47 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don, I remember now reading that same thing about the sidewalls, now that you mentioned it. Any idea who makes Maxxis and Titan?

I know when heavily loaded it's critical to have the tires properly inflated, especially in hot weather. Otherwise heat buildup will kill the tire.

I had a lot of tire problems on our fifthwheels back when I don't think I kept them properly inflated. Since I started keeping them at the max and checking them relatively frequently we've had no "blowouts". We have had defects but none went flat on the road since then. So I have to wonder how many of the reported blowouts are because of heat buildup due to underinflation? Or loading beyond tire capacity.

Still, there have been numerous reports of properly inflated tires blowing out, too. With that in mind, I know when we had blowouts I never knew it until someone pointed it out to me. I know for fact I drove 6 miles one time and 8 another with a blown tire and didn't even know it. In both cases it was in a tire position I could see in the mirror only on a sharp curve. On these I have to wonder if they really "blew" or did they just deflate because of a puncture and then my driving several miles on a flat tire caused the rim to shred the tire, making it appear to be a blowout. I'll never know but will always wonder.

In any case, blowouts or just a flat tire, we seem to have more on the trailers than the tow vehicles. So far I've not found brand to really be a factor. One of life's great mysteries, I guess.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:13 PM   #16
Montana_2957
Established Member

M.O.C. #2957
Steve, I had never heard of Maxxis or Titan until I purchased this trailer. The Maxxis tires had "made in China" on them, and when inflated to the maximum 65# they still looked a little flat to me, but despite some apprehension, they have served well for 10,000 miles. According to their web site, they have been around about 38yrs. Titan is based in Des Moines is big in the off road wheel business - tractors, construction, military, other off road etc and has apparently been doing tires since 1993. I looked at their service centers and they are extensive throughout the US and Canada which is reassuring since I am going to order five 225/75 15 tires shortly load range E. I am much more vigilant with regard to tires since joining this form, and I completely agree with you on the importance of maintaining proper tire pressures. When I first started monitoring tire pressure, was quite amazed to see the 65# cold pressure go to 75-79# on all tires at 65 mph. My truck tires do the same thing - about 10# more so not unique to the trailer. I have no idea what this means, but gives me a lot of respect for the strength that is required for tires. Also agree with your comment about brands of tires, possibly the ones with the most exposure get the most bad press. I am only going with the Titans because they have a load E in 15 inch.
Montana_2957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:05 PM   #17
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Don; I just read that Carlisle tire co. is now.
\ building a load range E tire in 15". I am currently useing Titeons on my rig ,and have just had a blowout that I'm trying to get them to stand the repairs. As has been stated, theres not much selection in load rng. E Dave
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:56 PM   #18
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Remember, I'm pretty new to all this but here is what I've founbd on tires for the fifth wheel...

"Trailer Tire requirements differ greatly from automotive tires. Automotive tires must maintain traction during all driving conditions: pulling, stopping, turning, or swerving. Because of this they must have more flexible sidewalls to maintain tread to road contact. Since trailers have no driving torque applied to their axles, the only time trailer tires must have traction is during the application of trailer brakes.
Trailers with heavy loads, high vertical sideloads (like camper trailers), or trailers with inadequate tongue weight can be affected by trailer sway problems. Automotive bias or radial tires with their more flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems, whereas the stiffer sidewalls of the ST (special trailer) bias ply tires help to control and reduce sway problems. For this reason it is not recommended that (P) Passenger or (LT) Light Truck tires be used on trailers. Best trailer control will be achieved with (ST) Special Trailer tires.

Application Type

ST- Special Trailer
LT-Lite Truck
P-Passenger Section Width:

For trailer application, it is essential that you select the correct tires to match your application and capacity requirements. (ST) Special Trailer tires are normally more expensive than (P) Passenger car or (LT) Light Truck tires because they are built tougher with more material and are more bruise resistant. This is necessary because most trailer suspension systems are stiffer and less sophisticated than automotive suspension systems. Consequently the tires must be capable of withstanding more ABUSE.

Also, there is a good article at
http://www.advanceautoparts.com/engl...0040501tt.html
about ST tires. I learned a lot from it.

Virgil

virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 12:21 AM   #19
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Well, I'm learning a ton of stuff about ST tires. Here is the latest
"Time and the elements weaken a trailer tire.
In about 3 years roughly one third of the tire's strength is gone.
Three to five years is the projected life of a normal trailer tire.
It is suggested that trailer tires be replaced after 3 to 4 years of service regardless of tread depth or tire appearance.
Mileage
Trailer tires are not designed to wear out.
The life of a trailer tire is limited by time and duty cycles.
The mileage expectation of a trailer tire would be 5,000 to 12,000 miles.
Why Use An "ST" Tire
"ST" tires feature materials and construction to meet the higher load requirements and demands of trailering.
The polyester cords are bigger than they would be for a comparable "P" or "LT" tire.
The steel cords have a larger diameter and greater tensile strength to meet the additional load requirements.
"ST" tire rubber compounds contain more chemicals to resist weather and ozone cracking.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/inf...rTireFacts.dos
Virgil
Old 06-14-2005, 12:55 AM   #20
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
OK, last one for today.......

From Trailer Life, October 2002
Goodyear Introduces New Trailer Tire

October 2002

Goodyear’s G614 RST, regional service trailer tire, was designed specifically to handle the demands of trailer applications. The company states that "thanks to a stiff, solid shoulder and shallow tread for even wear and performance, it’s the tire of choice when fifth-wheels and trailers are loaded to a higher capacity. It features a 14-ply rating that allows up to 3,750 pounds in single application (as compared to 3,042 pounds with the G647 RSA)."

Also according to Goodyear, the G614 RST features steel-belt construction for strength and durability, plus it has rounded shoulder ribs that increase "rib" stability, which is said to be a key feature in the resistance of uneven wear in trailer applications. It features the same anti-oxidants and anti-ozonants in the sidewall and casing as Goodyear’s G647 RSA, to increase tire life based on age versus mileage.

The G614 RST is currently available in an LT235/85R16 load range G.

This may be what I was looking for in a trailer tire.
Virgil