Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2005, 06:34 AM   #1
Montana_2428
Established Member

M.O.C. #2428
Generator Enclosure

I have a Yamaha EF3000iSEB which I want to install into the T.V. ahead of the 5th wheel hitch. I also want to put the generator into some type of enclosure to somewhat "hide" what is there.

Anyone have this generator and have built some type of enclosure of it?

Thanks!

Don and Michele

Montana_2428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 07:14 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Hope you get some good responses on this topic,Don. We'd like this generator but haven't figured out how to deal with storage and weight. Maybe someone has a solution.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:19 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We don't have a generator so I'm shooting in the dark. Will these things fit in a cross-bed lockable toolbox? You could cushion the mount so it doesn't vibrate noise and could lock the box when not in use. Maybe you could fashion some kind of sliding door in the lid with a grille of some sort to allow airflow. Then you could keep the lid closed and locked. Just somet thoughts. I hope my ignorance isn't showing too much.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:33 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We've looked at these options but many of the toolboxes have about 19 inches of clearance and the generator is about 23 inches high. It would probably have to be custom made which could be costly. We've also considered making a box for the receiver hitch and that would also have to be custom made.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:04 AM   #5
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
we had the same delema with our old unit...that's why we ordered a built in unit with our new unit.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 03:26 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Don: Have you considered getting a hitch tray that will mount into the 2" receiver on the truck and putting the genny on the tray? I have a hitch tray and have a SS storage box on it without any problems. It will hold 500 lbs.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 05:27 AM   #7
Montana_2428
Established Member

M.O.C. #2428
Thank you to all who have replied. Don't want to do the receiver platform as this limits the turning capabilities and also puts a 150 +lb load behind an already overloaded rear axle.

My plan, unless I heard something here that was easier / cheaper, was to build a sheet metal lined wooden box that would lay over the generator. My truck bed is sprayed with the LineX product and they can spray the box as well to give it somewhat of a matched look.
The box would have openings to provide intake air (left), exhast (right) and control panel (rear). I still need to test the fire retardant properties of thin sheet metal applied directly to 1/2 inch plywood. If this process significantly protects the wood against ignition I will probably proceed with this project.

Thanks again for the feedback

Don and Michele
Old 01-28-2005, 07:07 AM   #8
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I'd be careful running a portable generator inside an enclosure. They need to be out in the air for cooling. Built in units are fan cooled and discharge a large volume of air down through a hole in the floor of the compartment. Portable generators lack fans to move enough air to safely run inside an enclosure.

I wouldn't risk the damage.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 09:59 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I was thumbing through the Feb Trailer Life this morning and saw an ad for a generator in a cross-bed box, which also had a compartment for tools. I don't recall if it was a specific brand generator but might be worth thumbing through the ads to see what it was all about. If I recall it was in the ad section that has a bunch of smaller ads. My memory is failing me but I think it was built with a screen for airflow.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:17 AM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Steve. that might be the one that has some outrageous price tag, like $5000. Must be made of gold.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:15 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Could be, Glen and Judy. It caught my attention because of this thread but I didn't look at the price tag. It had best look like it's made of gold, too!
Old 01-29-2005, 09:48 AM   #12
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Don and Michele,

If my memory serves me right the 19' clearance it because that is the height of the bed rail. Building a box higher is not a problem unless you are prone to Jack knife your trail during maneuvers. Before you go to far suggest you check that clearance space. Possibly a card board box the same size.

Mountain Master advertise the generator tool box in trailer life.

Good luck,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:06 AM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Don, do you plan to run the generator from the bed of the pickup? Our measurements seem to indicate that we can't get this generator past the hitch and it would have to be lifted over the side of the truck to offload it, probably with a hoist since it is so heavy. We really like this generator but haven't purchased it yet because we're still looking for answers to all these questions.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:14 AM   #14
Montana_2428
Established Member

M.O.C. #2428
Glen and Judy,

First, thanks to all that have responded to my generator enclosure question. The Yamaha EF3000iSEB is a 3000 watt inverter generator that will put out 3500 watts for 30 seconds using onboard battery. This is a "boost" that the generator provides to help START those air conditioners. This unit is very nice, Quiet! The good thing, it's within a steel enclosure and takes air in on one side and exhausts all hot air out the other. The unit itself doesn't even get warm on the outside sheet metal. this is why I want to put it into a wooden enclosure. To hide the fact that it is a generator.

I will mount this unit between a flush mounted tool box and the 5th wheel hitch. The enclosure will be about 6" higher than the hitch plate and will come to within 8" from the front of the hitch plate.
I'm loosing about 4 1/2" of clearance to the 5th in a turn exceeding
30 degrees. Should be OK, just need to be aware that its there.
I'll use thin material and slope the enclosure away from the hitch. My thinking is; if contact is made may be a little easier on the 5th material, meeting a slope as compared to a straight edge.

Yes, the generator is heavy, 150 lbs dry. I do need another person to help load/unload the generator but can get the generator between wheel well and hitch with no problem. Don't have to lift this thing over the side rail.

Thanks again for all.

Don and Michele

Old 01-31-2005, 09:58 AM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for your reply, Don. We have the same truck, maybe a different hitch. Or maybe my hubby hasn't measured it quite correctly since we don't have the Yamaha in hand yet. We'll probably buy this generator soon as we hope to travel to Alaska for five months starting in June. Then we can decide where we'll mount it. Still like the idea of the platform on the receiver hitch of the truck. Then we won't have to lift it so high. Is there a supplier that you recommend?
Old 02-02-2005, 09:44 AM   #16
Montana_2428
Established Member

M.O.C. #2428
Glen and Judy,

Sorry that I didn't provide all information you asked for in your original question;
No, the generator will not be running while traveling. Yes, the generator will stay in the truck bed during operation.

I don't have a supplier in mind for you to optain this generator. The price seems to be very close on all suppliers that I checked.
The one I chose paid the shipping which is substantial. This thing comes on a pallet. You need to fill the supplied battery with acid and add engine oil. Takes about 20 minutes to get things going. Don't think you'll be disappointed with this unit. It starts my 15K AC with no problem. Has a throttle controller which speeds up the engine dependant upon power load. Is very quiet, good on gas and starts easily.

BTW, are you going to have clearance problems (tail gate to 5th)
if you mount this unit on a receiver platform?

Thanks.....

Don and Michele
Old 02-02-2005, 10:54 AM   #17
Montana_883
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #883
I agre with Hilllbilly....These things generate quite a bit of heat....Make sure you have plenty of room for cooling..you may even have to put a fan in your enclosure.
Montana_883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 01:24 AM   #18
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I think we've decided to keep the generator in the truck bed. We do think that there would be enough clearance to mount it in a receiver box. There is a company in Wisconsin that manufacturers a hitch box designed for the Honda 3000 but not the Yamaha model. We'll just get it in and out of the truck on ramps. At long as we can run it from there once we've stopped and don't need to take it on and off, we should be fine. It is easy to plug in a small fan to run in the truck bed when the generator is on, if that's even necessary. Some have written that they run their generator from the truck bed while driving down the road. It cools the trailer before they stop for the night.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:33 PM   #19
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
This might be a bad suggestion but can a platform be attached to the rear bumper of the camper? Made of a steel or aluminum mesh enclosures for security, and it would be close to an electrical plug.
Larry Hummel 04 Chevy. 2500HD & 05 298RL
Old 02-15-2005, 10:49 PM   #20
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We stayed overnight at Auggie's Quail Run RV Park in Gila Bend, AZ and saw a fellow that had mounted his 3000 on the extended pin box. Looked very secure and lonely up there. Said it worked great. I don't remember if he had a cover for it or not. But it was up out of the way and ready to use.

I don't think you'll have any problem using it in the bed of your truck. And I've heard of a lot of folks running them for heat and or cooling while on the road. Go for it and enjoy. HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote