Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2018, 07:46 PM   #1
edmck
Established Member

M.O.C. #22933
Dometic Thermostat Insanity

Am I the only one that has trouble with these Domestic CCC2 thermostats? Mine is making me crazy. I'm here in Mesa in a 2011 3100RL. Unfortunately I made the mistake this evening of reading the user guide and then experimenting with the thermostat settings. I should have left it alone; now I cannot get back to FURNACE mode. When I turn on the power both AC units fire up and the only way I can get them to go off is to hit the power button again. It's like the FURNACE mode has disappeared completely. Guess I'll be going without heat for awhile till I can get a tech out here to explain this miserable piece of equipment. Good thing I have a fireplace.

edmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:55 PM   #2
Home away from home
Established Member

M.O.C. #22809
it almost sounds like you are in zone 2 the furnace only works in zone 1 if that makes any sense best wishes and merry xmas from Illinois Bob and Liz
Home away from home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 08:14 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Regardless of what zone you are in, change the fan setting to AUTO. Then, go to zone #1, and with the MODE button, you should scroll to see the furnace option where you can set the temperature.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 08:17 PM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Guess we are lucky, ours has been very dependable and easy for us to use.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 08:21 PM   #5
edmck
Established Member

M.O.C. #22933
Tried that but still can't cycle to the FURNACE mode in Zone 1 with the setting on AUTO. Both ACs still turn on. Pretty sure I've really messed this thermostat up.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:55 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Try removing it from the wall and unplugging it. Let it set for about a minute or two and then plug it back in. It worked for our old unit maybe it will for yours!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #7
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmck View Post
Tried that but still can't cycle to the FURNACE mode in Zone 1 with the setting on AUTO. Both ACs still turn on. Pretty sure I've really messed this thermostat up.
Call Dometic. they were very helpful for me
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Have you tried doing a "reset" of the thermostat?
Press the MODE and ZONE buttons at the same time. The display should show “IniT”. Release the two buttons. Then turn on the thermostat and try setting the thermostat once again.

Attached is the CCC2 manual. refer to page #11

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #9
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
We had that thermostat on our 2012 and never skipped a beat. Wish we had that one again instead of the 2 junk ones in our 2018.5 !

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:05 PM   #10
MT167
Established Member

M.O.C. #20990
Make sure the clock is properly set. If the clock display is flashing or --:-- the thermostat will not operate properly. For some reason every time we unhook from shore power, I have to reset the clock.
MT167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 05:53 AM   #11
edmck
Established Member

M.O.C. #22933
Thank you everyone. I was finally able to reset the thermostat and all is well.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:13 PM   #12
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT167 View Post
Make sure the clock is properly set. If the clock display is flashing or --:-- the thermostat will not operate properly. For some reason every time we unhook from shore power, I have to reset the clock.

We set the clock originally when we first got our rig, and it was a real pain trying to get things working. We ended up resetting the thermostat and have manually operated it ever since and have no issues with it. No need for the clock function if we lower it at night and raise the temp in the morning when using heat. We almost never get up or go to bed at the same times, so having the thermostat set to change temps automatically does not work for us.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:23 PM   #13
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmck View Post
Am I the only one that has trouble with these Domestic CCC2 thermostats? Mine is making me crazy. I'm here in Mesa in a 2011 3100RL. Unfortunately I made the mistake this evening of reading the user guide and then experimenting with the thermostat settings. I should have left it alone; now I cannot get back to FURNACE mode. When I turn on the power both AC units fire up and the only way I can get them to go off is to hit the power button again. It's like the FURNACE mode has disappeared completely. Guess I'll be going without heat for awhile till I can get a tech out here to explain this miserable piece of equipment. Good thing I have a fireplace.
Personally from my opinion the thermostats that came with our 2018 Montana 3731 are purely junk.
Pay all this money and get toys for thermostats.
Any vibration,shut a drawer or door and the thermostat goes off or on and changes mode by itself.Best option to save yourself any further aggravation is throw them in the trash and replace with a real thermostat.
I consider them a safety hazard because we keep our rv plugged into a 50 amp line at home.One day we came home and the air conditioner was running after it been sitting and closed up for 5 days.
Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:24 PM   #14
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
Have you tried doing a "reset" of the thermostat?
Press the MODE and ZONE buttons at the same time. The display should show “IniT”. Release the two buttons. Then turn on the thermostat and try setting the thermostat once again.

Attached is the CCC2 manual. refer to page #11
X2 on the reset!
KDeiss
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #15
Robert66
Established Member

M.O.C. #20287
I had the same issue. I pulled the face of the thermostat off of mine for a couple of minutes. It reset and worked after that.
5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Robert66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:14 PM   #16
wemiller53
Established Member

M.O.C. #16085
Works fine but needs adjustable setback setings.

We have a 2016 3791RD with CC2 thermostat and 2 zones. Have had no problems. I'm able to program it for different functions and temps for day and night. So far it works great and once you do it a couple of times, easy to program.

I only wish that it had adjustable setback settings so that I could expand/lengthen the cycle time for both the furnace and Air Conditioner.
wemiller53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:01 PM   #17
miton 5052
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21569
I'm having trouble with stat as well do a hard reset all is well then after the first cycle ,it goes to E1.Any suggestions?
miton 5052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:19 PM   #18
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We had an issue several years ago, and thought it was the thermostat. It turned out to be the box under the A/C. There had been enough moisture that got inside the box and corroded the circuit board and the cable connectors. Not sure how the moisture got inside, but the damage was done. I ordered a new box, and replaced the bad one and all was fixed. The special "phone" cable goes from the thermostat to, on ours, the main A/C which is Zone 1. That is where the furnace control cables connect to the system. Then, on rigs that have a second A/C, there is another one of those phone cables that goes to the second A/C, which would be Zone 2. The photo shows the corrosion on the circuit board and connectors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	corroded AC board.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	2905  
Old 12-31-2018, 07:28 AM   #19
Ironbrow

M.O.C. #20790
Junk is saying it nicely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Devil View Post
Personally from my opinion the thermostats that came with our 2018 Montana 3731 are purely junk.
Pay all this money and get toys for thermostats.
Any vibration,shut a drawer or door and the thermostat goes off or on and changes mode by itself.Best option to save yourself any further aggravation is throw them in the trash and replace with a real thermostat.
I consider them a safety hazard because we keep our rv plugged into a 50 amp line at home.One day we came home and the air conditioner was running after it been sitting and closed up for 5 days.
Ours comes on by itself and changes itself. We've met many other Montana owners with the same issues. If you search the forum, this is nothing new. Sadly, as far as I know, nobody has found a real solution or replacement. You mentioned a replacement. What did you find?
Ironbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:46 PM   #20
CFmaster

M.O.C. #13659
Send a message via MSN to CFmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
We had an issue several years ago, and thought it was the thermostat. It turned out to be the box under the A/C. There had been enough moisture that got inside the box and corroded the circuit board and the cable connectors. Not sure how the moisture got inside, but the damage was done. I ordered a new box, and replaced the bad one and all was fixed. The special "phone" cable goes from the thermostat to, on ours, the main A/C which is Zone 1. That is where the furnace control cables connect to the system. Then, on rigs that have a second A/C, there is another one of those phone cables that goes to the second A/C, which would be Zone 2. The photo shows the corrosion on the circuit board and connectors.
Thanks for your reply and obvious knowledge of the 3402RL systems. I am trying to understand how this setup is controlled and how to “best” program the CC2 for our usage. We have a 2014 3402RL (in the PNW) and rarely use the AC front or rear (when we do it is usually the 15k in the rear). Both AC were “once working”, the trailer has been and is now stored in my heated, conditioned RV bay, connected to 30am shore power (first question is: if now other major loads are applied can I program the zones to function (test) with only 30amps available? (I am pretty sure I could if need be connect some long shore power cords together and connect to one of my outdoor 50amp recepticcals.
2nd question: how do I (Manually) override the programming if we want to run just one of the functions—IE: rear heat, Rear Air, or front air and Rear Heat, Furnace and one AC etc?? Or as in the “Stick house” just turn the Thermostat to Heat and turn it up for awhile??
Thanks for any insight,
Tim
CFmaster is offline   Reply With Quote