Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #21
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
We are in Fort Stockton at a PPA park for tonight so we should be there tomorrow.
Hope there's room for us there by tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to seeing everyone

tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:03 PM   #22
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dennis and Sharon and Jennifer,
We, too, are staying in Ft. Stockton. The park is right on the freeway so a bit noisy. Called Comancheland! But we have Full hookups. Only $16 per night. We called Guadalupe yesterday to get a spot for tonight and they laughed at us! They are booked solid. We do have reservations beginning Monday and will arrive mid afternoon.

If you want to do breakfast this moring give us a call. Sounds like you'll be headed on to Kerrville today. Since we could not get a space there for tonight we're staying overnight again and will arrive Kerrville on Monday.

And see everyone on Monday in Kerrville.
Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #23
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
HamRad

Sent you a pm and see you tomorrow. Take care and safe travels
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:18 PM   #24
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Well we reached Gallup about 30 minutes ago and it is snowing like a big dog. Not real cold and it is not sticking to the groung yet.

And I brought 5 pair of shorts????

Tomorrow we are onward to Tucumcari, NM. Always wanted to go there. When we went by Winslow, AZ today there was a biilboard that said "Standing on the corner" but I did not see the girl in the flatboard Ford. Oh well.

After Tucumcari we spend a night in Big Spring, TX and then on to Karrville.

See ya all soon.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #25
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We left Ft. Stockton about 11am and arrived in Kerrville just about 4pm. We had a real adventure driving the last leg of our journey to Texas. About even with Bakersfield, Texas a cloud burst just about brought traffic to a stop. Fortunately it only lasted about 5 minutes then let up enough to keep driving. Thought we had seen the last of the rain when just north of Ozona the Mother of all rain storms came down right on the freeway. I finally got off the road because I simply could not see 10 feet beyond the front of the truck. Water was coming down as hard and fast as I've ever seen. Again it only lasted about 5 minutes. As soon as I pulled off the road the rain, of course, pretty much stopped!

The major thing is we made it and all is well.

To top things off Carl and Susan plus several others saved us and a whole bunch of other MOCers by having a fantastic dinner waiting for us! Thank you to all who, once again, show that MOC is a "family" not just another forum.

Tomorrow Steve and Vicki are showing us around the Kerrville area. We'll take picutes if we see Willie and the boys picking and a grinning!

Dennis and Mary Kay
Old 03-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #26
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
We pulled into Big Spring, TX about 15 minutes ago so we should be there by 1 pm tomorrow. Rain seems to have quit but it is cloudy.

See ya all tomorrow.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #27
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Weather is supposed to be real nice for the next week, but hey, this is Texas. If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes.

We arrived today.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #28
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
So, Dennis, was the cloud bursts comparable to the Quartzsite Storm of 2010?

Glad to hear you made it all in one peice. Safe travels.
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:35 PM   #29
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Myna,
The rain on the road made what we had in Q seem like a gentle shower! Only one time before when we were driving in the Mid West have I seen this type situation. Don't want to go thru it again. Next time I see this coming I will pull over and wait until the cloud passes.

The good news was that the truck and trailer never got loose. We had no hydroplaning and the control was great..... We just couldn't see because of the volume of water hitting the windshield!

I see that you folks are continuing to enjoy your trip! If you haven't driven up to Globe yet you should take that trip.

Keep enjoying and travel safely.
Dennis and Mary Kay
Old 03-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #30
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome to the midwest, Dennis! Downpours like that are not that common but are not all that unusual, either. Usually they are fairly brief before settling into a slighly gentler rain! Just wait until you get that same thing with those hard white hailstones instead of raindrops! That usually makes quite an impression on your vehicle. Many impressions, come to think of it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote