Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
Michigan to Yellowstone

We are considering a trip from Michigan to Yellowstone and then on to Mount Rushmore and the black hills the end of July. Any recommendations for nice FHU campgrounds near Yellowstone. There seems to be more listed for the west entrance to the park in Montana.
Here are some we got from searching online.Has anyone been to these? The KOA looks nice ... but I hate their prices.

http://www.rusticwagonrv.com/
http://www.yellowstonekoa.com/rates.html
http://www.grizzlyrv.com/

How much time would be needed to see the sites in Yellowstone for those who have been their? We plan 5-6 days and then 2-3 in the Black Hills area to see the sites. Time considerations for the trip is 16-17 days. I was considering 3 days to drive to Montana and back. That would be around 9 hours a day driving. Does that sound about right? I might change that to 4 days each way.

Going out we plan to travel I80 and return I90. After heading up from the last leg heading into Yellowstone from Cheyenne Wyoming there are some choices.North up I25 to 26. Or I80 West to 287 north to Yellowstone. Is anyone familiar with those routes? Any idea's would be great.

Also we will be pulling our 3665RE with a 2008 6.7 Dodge Dually six speed auto w/exhaust brake. would there be anything I need to worry about on this trip ... mountains,terrain,elevation. Does it get cold at night in the end of July? I notice temp range is 79/45.

And last ...what things should we see in Yellowstone & Black Hills area.

Thanks in advance. Oh ... and I did a search ... nothing came up.

et2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027

Since we live only a couple hours away, we spend time in the Yellowstone area most every year.

We like to stay in the Bakers Hole Forest Service campground just north of West Yellowstone.

There are about 1/2 power sites - water hydrants within hose range - no full hookups - but right on the Madison River.

This is a good "hub location" for day trips into the park and surrounding points of interest.

The daily rate for the powered sites in 2009 was $16.00 - senior rate. You pay for full hookups around that area - it's all in what you need.

Enjoy your trip
Ed
Ed Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:24 AM   #3
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We have stayed a Grizzly and it was really nice. Also being in town, there were services and cafes to choose if you need them. On out first trip to Yellowstone we stayed at Fishing Bridge in the park--only FHU in the park. It has a great central location that allows routes to the north and south. There is a general store nearby. Yes, they pack in the units at Fishing Bridge, but we were only there at night--we we out seeing things during the day. 5-6 days will get you a good introduction to Yellowstone--if you want to see more wildlife--you may get lucky or need more time. Check out our trip journal for our trip with photos. Have a great trip.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:51 AM   #4
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Be advised that they are working on Fishing Bridge Summer of 2010. According to some of the YellowStone forums, ff you make a reservation for this summer Xtera will inform you that Fishing Bridge will be with out power this summer. They have cut the fee's in half to compensate. If planning on staying at Fishing Bridge might be a good question to ask prior to committing to reservations.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:31 AM   #5
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
When in the Black Hills area, you might want to go to Custer State Park and drive the "Wildlife Loop" around the park. You will see herds of buffalo, pronghorns, mountain goats and burrows. Check out Mt Rushmore when there. Last spring we were in the Rapid City area for two weeks and took that route sometimes several times a day and always saw a lot of the wildlife. Different times of day bring different sights, all memorable. Just west, near Sundance, WY is Devil's Tower. Just east near Wall is Wall Drugs and The Badlands. Enjoy your journey!
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:20 AM   #6
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
when you come through on I-80 give us a hollar here in Omaha--may be able to meet up with you--we have several very nice state parks in the area--half of the sites are reservable- there is also a nice city campground in Bellevue near the Offutt airforse base. any info you need about Omaha email us
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
The Flagg Ranch campground on the South side between the Tetons and Yellowstone is a nice spot, and if you've never been you shouldn't miss the Tetons, Jackson Hole, and Jackson.

When we went out, we spent a night at the NP campground in the Badlands. The sun coming up on the Badlands in the morning is a great sight. Enjoy!
gregdan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
You might find that 17 days is not enough time for your trip. We tried that time frame to go from southern Ind. to Great Falls to Archs Nat. Park to home. We wound up adding up to a full 3 weeks for our trip. It took 4 hard days to get back from Moab, Utah. Just my thoughts
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by farmboy

You might find that 17 days is not enough time for your trip. We tried that time frame to go from southern Ind. to Great Falls to Archs Nat. Park to home. We wound up adding up to a full 3 weeks for our trip. It took 4 hard days to get back from Moab, Utah. Just my thoughts
I can't really afford more time with work. We really want to make the trip while we are healthy enough to enjoy it. I have at least 15 years until retirement.I don't mind a 4-5 day drive there and back. It is about 7 hours or less a day.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #10
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jpkelpe

when you come through on I-80 give us a hollar here in Omaha--may be able to meet up with you--we have several very nice state parks in the area--half of the sites are reservable- there is also a nice city campground in Bellevue near the Offutt airforse base. any info you need about Omaha email us
Thanks for your offer. We are looking to stay in Nebraska as the second leg of our trip ... so far. Plans are to camp around the Cozad - Lexington area for the night departing early for Rawlins or Casper Wyoming for the third leg.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #11
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
Are there any problems driving through the mountian areas going into Yellowstone? It looks like we will be going from Casper via 20/26 - 20 - Yellowstone.Is it a easy drive to West Yellowstone? Plans when leaving Yellowstone are to drive back through Yellowstone via 16/20 - 14 - 20 -heading east to Buffalo to spend the night. Then off to the Black Hills area. Are there any issues driving back through the park?
Old 01-31-2010, 02:49 AM   #12
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I have gone out the East gate to Casper twice and from Casper to the East Gate once in the past 4 years. 20/26 From Casper to Thermopolis is pretty flat. It is all 2 lane blacktop but not a bad drive. There is a little bit of climbing just south of Thermopolis around the lake but again nothing bad. The only real climb is from the East Gate to Fishing Bridge. Again not a bad climb just keep a close eye on the temp gauge for the transmission. Going in the East gate is much nicer since they finished the construction about 2 years ago.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:16 AM   #13
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
Another question. We plan to take I80 out to Yellowstone from Michigan and I90 home, just to break up the scenery. Would there be any reason to take or not take one route verses the other? I heard on another site I80 is jammed packed with trucks? Not that that is a problem ... does it move smoothly ... speed limit? I plan 65mph the whole trip.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:38 AM   #14
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I-80 does carry a lot of truck traffic but most interstates do. It is not a problem. 80 is a great road to make good time on. I have gone North on both 287 and 191. Seems to me 191 was a little quicker and you won't miss much in scenery. Good thing about 191 is you can experience Jackson and all of the Tetons.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I think 20/26 is good as reported. Just wanted to make sure you don't go over the Big Horn mountains unless you are prepared for it. The west side is 10 miles of 10% grade and another of 8 miles at 8%. I have gone West to East and just kept it in low going down the east side. Oh, the steep stuff is on the north rounte - 14A.
Also have stayed at the Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone. It is VERY clean and orderly, but the only ammenities are TV and WIFI ($). No pool or club house, etc. There is also a cross country ski area right on the west side that can be accessed thru a couple of openings in the fence. Nice for hiking.
We have also stayed at the Colter Bay Village RV Park in the Tetons Nat. Park. It was nice too, but you usually have to book 2-3 months or more in advance.
Happy RVing!
p.s. My wife and I both LOVE the Big Horns. Thick forest, good views, the southwest road along Highway 16 thru the the Shell Canyon is spectacular. There are a few campgrounds near the top that are great (no services) too. We really like Sitting Bull CG. Fairly large sites, a meadow out your back window to the east, deer make regular visits - and last year we had a sheep herd go thru the camp!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #16
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
As stated there is always lots of truck traffic on the Interstate. I do think I80 has more than I90. I have only run I80 between Cheyenne and Rawlings (then catch 287 North towards the Grand Tetons) and the truck traffic has never been an issue.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #17
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
there is usually a lot of truck traffic on 80 but the traffic moves very good--never have delays because of it. Yes there is more on 80 than 90 because the traffic is going to Denver and Cheyenne. we drive 80 frequetly because Jan grew up in Western Nebraska. The only construction I know of now is between Omaha and Lincoln but it is not anything hard to pull through.

jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote