Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
jkmcdonald
Established Member

M.O.C. #1927
Synthetic Oil for Cummins Diesel

I have a question about the Cummins Diesel? I have a 2006 Dodge 3500 Megacab and I am thinking of using Valvoline Synthetic Oil. Has anyone done this or know someone who has. Please let me hear what you have to say.

jkmcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Do they sell that by the vat? I have been wanting to use synthetic in my truck (Ford F250 Powerstroke diesel) but I have only seen it sold by the quart. My truck takes 15 quart and I will NEVER pour 15 quarts of oil one at a time in my truck like I did at my last oil change. Do you have any idea how long that took to wait for 15 containers to drain?

I use 15-40, but not synthetic.

I have used synthetic in my BMWs and MBnz and all I know is you can't go back to non-synthetic. I would imagine that should be good for diesels.

So who ever replies affirmatively, I hope they cover all engine types.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I use Shell Rotella Synthetic in my used 05 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD for my first post Dealer oil change. After 8000 miles and almost a year, I changed my oil and had Blackstone Labs analyze. They concluded I could safely go to 10000 miles. My objective is to only change the oil once a year as I do it myself and drive it no more than 10000 miles/year (so far).
I think my use of synthetic is justifiable versus more frequent oil changes based on my mostly towed mileage.

Consider joining the Turbodiesel Register to learn more about pros and cons of all kinds of oils. The biggest "issue" nowseems to be the new CJ oil standard is not as nice for older diesels as then now vanishing CI oils were.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
My local Dodge mechanic has warned me NOT to go synthetic until I get 35K or more miles on the engine as the synthetic will slow down the break-in of the engine -- as you know they say diesels (any brand) are not really broken in until you get 100K or more on them ...

Since you have an 06 you have some of the EGR and other smog stuff on your truck. As you've noticed your oil turns black almost instantly (the older trucks didn't do that!!). The soot that is being suspended in the oil is abrasive so we probably should expect to see increased wear on the engines -- I say this based, again on the mechanic whom I trust, and a comment he made regarding my 08. He has advised me that, should I decide to go synthetic, I should continue to change the filter every 5K miles or so to try to mitigate soot buildup in the oil. I didn't ask him about by-pass filters but even they don't seem to be able to clean all the soot out -- at least from what I've read so far. Guess we will just have to see how it all end up.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Amsoil in all gearboxes here. Change engine oil once a year (25,000), oem filter every 5000, bypass filter (Oil Guard) with the oil change, and oil samples whenever.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Art, why is it that you can't go back to regular oil after using synthetic?
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Mudchief. I don't know, but that's what I heard, once synthetic, stay synthetic. I have heard this a few times by a mechanic and several store proprietors, but have not been able to confirm otherwise. But it would seem why go back if the synthetics have so much benefit (cost maybe?)

Skypilot, I forgot about that but I heard that too. Right now, I change my oil about every 5,000 miles but it's not synthetic and that's what my manual says for if I tow enough. With 15 quarts in my reservoir who'd a thought, but I don't argue with maintenance much. The benefits outweigh the damages.

So one should wait for 100,000 miles? I drive 15,000 miles a year right now, but it's towing and carrying all the time (friend's and family love knowing a truck owner).

Referring to another post above, I was wondering about the CJ ratings. I am able to find CI or CI-4 or those other older oils, but I am sure they will go bye-bye over time. Remember CE or CF? I have not seen them in years.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:37 AM   #8
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I used to use
Shell Rotella T SAE 15w-40 conventional, changed 5k miles along with the filter

I now use
Shell Rotella T Synthetic SAE 5W-40, changed 5k miles along with the filter

Both were/are purchased at Walmart in Gallon containers...so every other trip I go from 3 to 4 containers...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:05 AM   #9
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341

Good discussion going on here...The previous/1st owner of my o6 Dodge had the dealer put in Mobile 1 5w40 Truck Turbo diesel fully synthetic oil on the first oil/filter/fuel filter change,the Mobile 1 Truck Turbo oil exceeds Cummins requirements as well as many others.The 1st owner was a real gearhead and the Dodge 3500 dually was just one of his many toys with synthetic oil.The 3500 dually had never worked a day in its life.

I have continued on with the same brand.The truck is now approaching 21,000 miles and I'll be doing the third engine oil/filter change as well as the first transmission oil/filter change.I use oem/Fleetguard filters highest micron available on everything.

The Dodge 3500 runs super smooth and is already starting to get 18mpg in town driving.I'm a firm believer in synthetic oil no matter which brand you prefer.On another note we run synthetic oil in two of our company heavy duty Ford industrial tire service trucks with the Cummins diesel engines,one being a 2006 5.9 and the other a 2008 6.7 liter.

2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:17 AM   #10
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Art, I am able to find 5qt jugs of Synthetic at my local Wal-Mart in different brands of oil. I personally use Mobil-1 in all 3 of our vehicles. I change the Volvo & 350Z each once a year. The Volvo gets about 10k~15k miles a year. The 350Z gets 4k~7k miles a year. But I drive the Z much harder. Lots of 5500~7000rpm shifts.

The F250 I typically put about 25k a year on. I currently have 170k miles on it. I have been using Synthetic since my first oil change (Mobil 1 15w50). Once I get to around 9 months I will change the oil before a big trip or when I hit the 1 year mark. I will typically change the oil filter and add 2 qts after about 6 months or before a big trip. If we have a big trip planned and I have more than 8months on the oil I will typically just change the oil instead of just doing a filter.

On the Volvo S70 listed above, I threw the timing belt at 103k miles when the tension pulley gave way. I did not have the time to make the repair at the time so I let my neighbor who is a mechanic at a local Dodge dealership do it for me. When he got the head off he found that 14 of the values were bent but he also asked me when the last time I had the head off. I told he never and I have owned the car since new. He could not believe the inside of the motor. He said he pulls motors apart with half the miles using regular oil that are not nearly as clean as this motor is inside. Since the turbo had to be taken off to get the head off I decided to also have it rebuilt. I figured after 103k miles and the Texas heat that was the time. The shop that rebuilt the turbo also called and asked why we sent it in. They too could not believe how good of shape the turbo was in for its mileage/age. That car is now 11 years old. I have replaced multiple senors on in the past 2 years but mechanically it is sound. I would drive it any where.

One more quick story on synthetic. My father had a Mazda GLC in the early 80s. He sold the car with 150k miles on it. He sold it to a gal he worked with. He also only changed the oil once a year. He changed the oil as part of the sell and used Mobil 1 as he always had. He told her that she was good for a year but to use synthetic when she changes the oil. Well after one year so goes to change the oil. At that time $15 for oil, $40 for synthetic. Well she felt the synthetic was too much so she put regular oil in. A week later the motor froze. She had not had a lick of trouble before that.

I have always heard that once you go synthetic you don't go back. I have always ran synthetic in all my vehicles since day one. I have never had a single oil issue and I only change oil once a year. My mechanic is also a big believer in synthetic. He uses Royal Purple in his race car. (I tried Royal Purple but it is hard to find so I went back to Mobil 1) He said the only time he uses regular oil on a personal vehicle is when it is a vehicle that is seldomly run. The synthetic will run off the cylinder wall quicker then conventional oil when the vehicle sits for long periods of time with out running.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:45 AM   #11
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
We have a 2003 Dodge 2500 cummings and use Delo 400 15-40. They come in gallon containers.
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:45 AM   #12
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Dodge recommends CI-4 in the 5.9 and CJ-4 in the 6.7 - Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:36 AM   #13
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Rickw: Everything I've read on synthetic is the opposite of your post regarding 'running off the walls' quicker. The synthetic is supposed to stay on better to give you better lubrication upon starting compared to dino-oil. I just looked at the Mobil 1 web site and it has a claim regarding '... enhanced oil film strength, which helps to reduce engine scuffing and bore polishing. " If I'm reading this correctly, it leads me to believe that the oil film stays on the cylinder walls longer and better than tradional dino-based oils. Not to start a fire-storm -- but this feature -- increased lubrication upon start-up -- has always been one of the key selling points as I've looked to move to synthetics on my vehicles.

On edit: From reading on the diesel forum -- CI4 oil is going the way of the DODO bird. If you can find it, and have an older truck that can use it, buy as much as you can afford when you see it. Not sure of all the technical reasons but the CJ4 doesn't seem to hold up to shear pressures as well as the CI4 oils. Speculation is, like in the diesel, the removal of the sulfur has impacted the oil as well. Again, speculation as to why but the CJ4 doesn't seem to last as long before deteriorating as the CI4 stuff.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #14
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Before you put anything in a diesel engine make sure it is rated for diesel use. Putting Gasser oil in will damage your engine due to not having the right additives to keep impurities in suspension and deal with the chemicals from combustion. Read the fine print on the Amsoil before you extend drain intervals. Their warranty is quite limited for EGR engines and your MFG warranty could be completely void.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #15
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
I have run synthetics, Mobile 1 in my diesels since my first Dodge in 1998. I have not had a problem. There simply is no comparison in protection between regular vs synthetic. I change mine every 10,000 miles. I was able to find Mobile 1 at our local Mobile gas distributor. It can be bought in at least 4, 1-gal cases, 5 gal. jugs, and 50 gal drums. I usually get the 4 gal case for ease of use.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I use Rotella T Synthetic for Diesel and change oil every 10,000 miles. The Dodge manual says don't go to synthetic before 30,000 miles on the engine or the engine will not properly breakin. Since breakin requires friction and wear, that tells me Dodge believes synthetic cuts down on wear. That's good enough for me to switch to synthetic. I use Rotella T because it's readily available (even at Walmart) and is used in many of the big rigs. If it's good enough for the high mileage guys, that's good enough for me.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:12 AM   #17
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
06 Dodge 3500 DRW and use Rotella 5-40 Synthetic,Walmart in gal. jugs, good stuff
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote