Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
50 Amp CW Surge Protector Question ?

We have the 50 Amp Surge Guard exterior protector we generally use with the 3400.
I have occasionally used 30 amp with the up front 30 to 50 adapter when that was all that was available.
My question is; can anyone shed some light on whether the 50 amp surge protector can be used on a 30 amp rig ??
ie; plugged into 50 amp power at the pedastal, through the surge protector, and stepped down by a 50 to 30 adapter to a 30 amp cord to a 30 amp rated trailer ?

Thanks for any help with this....

jp

jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
It can be used and will protect the 30 amp side...but my directions say not to use it that way permanently, and do not say how long you can use it for just a 30 amp line.

This is from the web site (www.surgeguard.com):
"Q. Can 50 Amp models be operated on a 120V/30 Amp, 120V/20 Amp, or 120V/15 Amp power source?
A. Operation of these models (using a standard adapter) on a 120V/30A, 120V/20A, or 120V/15A power source is not recommended by the manufacturer. However, the unit will still function properly. If used correctly, this will not void warranty. Keep power use to a minimum and return to a 50 Amp power source as soon as possible."

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jpf

We have the 50 Amp Surge Guard exterior protector we generally use with the 3400.
I have occasionally used 30 amp with the up front 30 to 50 adapter when that was all that was available.
My question is; can anyone shed some light on whether the 50 amp surge protector can be used on a 30 amp rig ??
ie; plugged into 50 amp power at the pedastal, through the surge protector, and stepped down by a 50 to 30 adapter to a 30 amp cord to a 30 amp rated trailer ?

Thanks for any help with this....

jp
The manufacturer doesn't recommend connecting the 50-amp surge guard through applicable adapter to a 30-amp power source. But if I read your question correctly, you are asking about connecting the 50-amp surge guard to a 50-amp source and reducing the output of the the surge guard down to connect through a 30-amp cable to the rig. Am I correct? If so, there is no reason why not.

I wouldn't say that I'm an expert on the surge guards but I own two: a 30-amp which I used on older rigs before the Montana and a 50-amp which I use whenever 50-amps is available.

I have an additional question. I'm assuming your Montana has a 50-amp input. If so, why do you want to reduce from the 50 amps at the pedestal?

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:45 AM   #4
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
Thanks Orv,

To answer your question, we winterized and left our 3400 at our summer seasonal site for this winter in eastern CT. It was mostly siting in storage in FL during the winter as we are in our Park model at FT Myers Beach for about 6 months.
We purchased a small (23ft) pull trailer 30 Amp(RV Commuter) for the trips back and forth, for mid week trips around FL while there, and, for trips around New England areas while in the north.
The Parks up north tend to be smaller and we think it will be easier to get into tighter sites. So far,although not the primary factor, diesel MPG has been about what I was getting when not pulling the 3400. not much savings there but a little makes me feel better.
Interestingly, as a side note, diesel prices through SC and GA were LESS than regular unleaded. I don't thnk I've seen that since I've owned a diesel.
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote