Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2008, 03:50 AM   #1
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
China hits US RV market!

We just got our Trailer Life Mag yesterday and it didn't surprise me to see the article about the Louisville Trade show.
Someone recently posted about the auto industry being taken over by the imports and even mentioned the RV manufacturers should watch out.
News was " The first RV built in China for export to the North American market" This iCamp 14ft weights in at 2890lbs with full bath with shower, a small kitchen and queen bed for $19,400.
It is made to be pulled with a 6 banger SUV, cars and trucks.
I purposely didn't post this in the SOB topics because I feel we need to stand up for our USA built products as long as we can. I don't have any idea what our children will buy in the future, but I'm hoping to keep my kids in American campers.
The future could bring the foreign manufacturers to build here so the American people will accept them better. Now, does that sound familiar?
Sorry I brought this up, but we need to be aware of this and maybe keep reminding our manufacturers of this!

Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:28 AM   #2
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We buy American and try to buy things made in the USA. It is hard to do but possible. Mail order is a good place to find USA products. All our vehicles are American made and American owned.
I won't buy any toys for our dogs that are made in China. No stuffed toys for them made in China either. I make them now.
We do have to stand up for our USA made products. Not enough people are buying USA owned and made vehicles.
This is my opinion.
Can't see buying a camper made in China. wonder how much lead is in that?
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:41 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It was of course inevitable. Two things can happen..1) the RV manufacturers will react and improve their product (highly unlikely) 2) The .N.A RV industry is doomed(very likely). It will be interesting to see which manufacturer will sell out first.Another chapter in the demise of our way of life.. With all due respect Dusty..I see many tags on my shinny new Ford that say ..made in Mexico.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:20 AM   #4
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
I really hope that people on both sides of the border can start thinking about this. If enough people demanded American made goods and products the manufacturers would have to respond. Rather, we all look to where we can save five bucks and buy there. More often than not that 5 bucks is saved by having a Chinese or Mexican assemble or manufacture a part or product. Emmel said it best when he questioned where our children are going to earn a living. Does everyone think we can keep sending our jobs overseas and it will never affect our daily living standards? Rich, even with parts made in Mexico the profit over and above on your truck is going to improve the standard of living in your country. The profit on an import is all going overseas to benefit another country. The first order of business, in my view, when spending your money, is to buy from your friends and neighbours first, and spread out from that base while trying to keep your money as close to home as possible. It's worth a few dollars extra on a product to have it manufactured by your countrymen. Everyone benefits in the long run. Canadian and Americans can build autos just as well as the guy in Japan. Sorry for the rant, but this subject riles me up. We are passing our wealth overseas just to save a few bucks here and there.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:36 AM   #5
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
It really gets my goat too...I read somewhere that China will take down the U.S. without even firing a shot. This is really scary - and we are watching it unfold.
This big rebate that's going to the taxpayers...I'm hearing it will be provided for in the form of a loan from China! And then the purpose for this is to pump money into the U.S. economy...more than likely it will be going to China once again for goods sold. What does the U.S. get out of this?
We haven't even gotten to what George W is doing to us...how much is a gallon of milk costing you these days? And your raise was how much?

I better stop...sorry. We have to do something and I don't know how to help.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:50 AM   #6
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We could try to buy USA made products, down to the dish you are eating from. We quit shopping at Wallyworld because most all their products are made in China and other countries. We don't need the savings if it is going to destroy our beautiful country.
Ok now I will be quiet. Will get off my soap box now...

I agree with Jim Jarvis...
Quote:
quote: even with parts made in Mexico the profit over and above on your truck is going to improve the standard of living in your country. The profit on an import is all going overseas to benefit another country.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:16 AM   #7
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Some "I CAMP" Pics:

Looks PRETTY SMALL to me!

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:17 AM   #8
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
Really can't add to what you guys just said, But I do agree Buy American
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:24 AM   #9
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
As we sit in our Montana look around at all the things in it that are NOT made here. T.V. Apollo, faucets, furniture and it's components, frig, bed, wood, and who knows what else. Lowest bidder. The frame probably has china steel. The list just goes on and on. Unfortunately most the stuff is foreign. They have all ready taken over. It's just assembled here. We are at fault because we want the lowest price and that also includes me. Then we and me wonder why things don't last. I am just as guilty as the rest of us. This is just my opinion.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:46 AM   #10
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Hazmic, you are right these RV's are built by lowest bid. Remember the words of Alan Shepard who was the first American in space. After his flight someone asked if he was worried. He replied that as he sat on top of the rocket preparing in just minutes to be blasted off his thougths were "This thing was built by lowest bid"
You get what you pay for.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:14 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Jim..I do agree with you.But many don't. Honda's are made in Ohio, USA they employee thousands and all those paychecks go into our economy. My previous truck was assembled in Canada which is, to me from Ohio, a Foreign country. Does that mean we should not buy a truck assembled in Canada??? Should a Canadian not purchase a truck made in Detroit. Our Splendede W/D was built in Italy. I know many of use have them..What's up with that. For all the Canadians that have Montana's..they were all built in a Foreign country by Foreigners.

As have said...No one asked me, I was not consulted, I do not recall a vote on sending product overseas.. I am 100% against it but never had a say. We need all these things to live and I try to do the best I can by purchasing American made products even if it is a Honda made in Ohio or a Chevy or a freezer made in Canada or a Ford with some Mexician parts. And think about this..Buy American you say.. Mexico is in South AMERICA . Is that not America..or do we even know what we are talking about when we say ..buy American. Get this..The T Shirts we purchased at the Kennedy Space Center sold to us by a good old USA American the profits going to the support of the Kennedy space center Visitors center was made in HONDURAS.. I believe that is in South AMERICA...
Old 02-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #12
6.7 CTD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8114
I guess I'll really get blasted for this one...........think about that engine in your duramax powered truck........made by Isuzu........my point is........even american assembled things have foreign made parts..........it is already too late....imo
6.7 CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #13
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
There are over 2 billion people in China and India. That is a lot of cheap labour with lax environmental and occupational health and safety rules. Many of the companies that have developed in those countries are either associated with or outright owned by big NA companies. A buck is a buck and that attitude is the pervasive theme that runs through all of this. In a free market and free trade system only governments can protect a mature economy like we have against emerging economies. Remember we are each others biggest trading partners. Our governments have decided to open us to global competition. They believe that the short term pain of restructuring our economies is necessary to prevent a slow death of high prices and low productivity. Unfortunately people will suffer. However, if you check the profitability of those companies that have moved some or all of their production offshore you will see who the winners are in this new global economy. It helps if a country has a balanced budget, a low national debt that is held internally rather than externally and a tax system that assists those most affected by the restructuring to adjust. In the case of the US it is a big plus that its currency is the international medium of exchange so it is in every other countries best interests to keep it at a high relative value. Paradoxically, if the $ drops relative to other currencies then imports cost more, exports are more competitive and suddenly local manufacturers match international prices in a local market. The rub here is that the key commodity that must be imported is OIL. If the $ falls too far then energy prices will soar and inflation will follow hand in hand.

In my opinion we have gone too far too fast with the global economy idea. I support a NA trading block with tariffs that are tied to comparability in labour and environmental standards. I also would like to see a product quality/safety regime that keeps dangerous goods out of our countries. Tax energy consumption and oil company windfall profits to promote the development of alternate energy sources to get us off the OIL addiction. Finally, protect the little guy/gal. They didn't make the mess, they can't move their riches offshore and they shouldn't have to shoulder the burden alone.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #14
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
6.7CTD, not going to blast you on anything about the DuraMax, but the Isuzu engineers were brought here to Dayton Ohio, just 20 miles from my house, and consulted with our engineers to build the DuraMax in Dayton. Now there are some foreign parts installed on this engine, but it is machined and assembled in Dayton. It has probably about the same amount of foreign parts as does the Ford and Dodge diesels.
Basically what I posted this thread for was to bring up the entire unit being made in China and imported here for sale to American, let me rephrase that, United States of America people. It is very hard to buy most anything that is entirely made here, but as Dusty says, we do the best we can. Heck, it's even hard to buy things made in the USA that isn't made by immigrants.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
OOpps..Ole Rich made a mistake and no one caught it..Mexico Is in North America..in fact.....http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/na.htm

Surprise ..surprise..surprise. Honduras were my Space center T shirt was made is also in North America. So we need to be specific when we say buy American or even buy North American. We in the USA call ourselves American as if the entire Continent is ours, Canadians call themselves North Americans to maintain their own identity and to politely let us know that we are not the entire Continent. however there are 21 other countries who can call themselves North American not to mention all of South America..all of us can claim the title American.

We are all on the same page we just have a bit of trouble expressing what we feel and mean.. Many folks will say..buy nothing foreign and I don't think they understand what they are saying. Rodgers idea of a NA trading block is a good one and why not.. Europe is doing it.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:35 PM   #16
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
This thread got my blood boiling. Everthing in this country is being outsourced to India or Guatemala(sp) call centers. This past week dell laid off 250 workers from their campus in Oklahoma City. Most of the jobs are going out of the country to cheap labor call centers. The city gave Dell HUGE incintives to place their campus and call cetner in Oklahoma City. Now after us taxpayers have footed the bill for their huge new river front head quarters in OKC they are turning around and outsourcing the jobs from this facility and laying off workers. the only reason for the incintives was to get local jobs.
I haven't shopped at Wally World in ages. They treat their employees horrible and everything is from China. I will spend 5 bucks for gas to go to the south side of town to purchase American, Mecican or Canadian products. Anything else...forget it!
Ok I am off my soapbox now.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:43 PM   #17
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Actually...we all need to recognize our American capitalism engine is not meant to isolate us and "Buy American". We will adjust through normal economic changes...if we continue to artificially react it will only delay the inevitable. America will continue to be the model for others and the pendulum will swing, so...we continue to assimilate and "In God We Trust".
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #18
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
We who purchase goods are in a training mode by the very rich who have and will always make all the money off the rest. The shirt Rich purchased made in Honduras at one time was a Haines or Fruit of the Loom or one of the many USA t-shirt makers who bailed out to get the product made cheaper, but sell it back to us at the same inflated price that we always paid. Wife and I did shirt printing for years, still do part time now. As our elected officials get a lot of money from these same rich folks the rest of us are just another hunk of cheese in their trap.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:25 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is a very large employer here in Central Florida. Employees over 58,000 people. Many part time and seasonal jobs, no benefits,no union. you must dress and look according to their standards. You must wear uniforms.Nearly all, of their products are foreign made. There are more products from China here than in all the Wallmart stores in the area.. The employer is Walt Disney World. We need to boycott that employer???Right....Are they any better than Wall mart??? Lets not pick and choose here.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:46 AM   #20
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Great thread and some obvious community frustration that I generally agree with. I remember Ross Perot (whose he?) commenting that loud sucking sound we hear was jobs leaving the U.S.

DisneyWorld does have at least one union for there characters. The retail employees and cleanup employees do not.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote