Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good:
Well, after our trip back from Corpus Christi December 29, 2007, we put Hanna in the hospital for awning repairs. See the thread in the General Discussions on Lost my Awning.

Today, myself and a friend picked it up and took it to storage.
New upgraded with weather shield A&E awning
New Seal on the outer door of the front storage (need to check yours)
dinette blind replaced.
New Seal Kit in Seland Toilet (Holds water now)
Squeak in living room floor fixed
Entrance door trim was bowed and now fits flush

All under warranty.

The Bad:
Lug Nuts on order and have not arrived yet
Bedroom front small window rod broken - (Part on order)
Plumbing vent cap over toilet missing now replaced (My cost - low tree limb)
Sky light in bathroom cracked now replaced (My cost - low limb)
Quick disconnect on driver side propane (Now compatible with passenger side - my cost)
Top off propane tanks (my cost)

All not really that bad and I was glad the technician caught some of the things like toilet vent cap and skylight.

The Ugly:
Took Hanna to storage. My friend is on the cell with me while I back in. No - not ugly yet. Back in went fine.
Chocked the wheels - no not ugly yet
Lowered the landing gear and raised the Hanna off the hitch - No not ugly yet.
Lowered the tailgate and unhooked brake cable and power cord - no not ugly yet.
Walked to the TV and got in. Engine running, windows up, air conditioning running (humid out)
Started to pull away and heard a "thump."
Stopped. Looked in rear view mirror.
Now it's ugly.
Friend had put the tailgate up.

Estimate for replacement, $922.22
Friends apologetic whine for the next two hours while getting estimates - PRICELESS

Ah well! What the heck ar friends for anyhow.

Edited: Lesson Learned. Even though I knew the tailgat was down because I put it down. Make one final check in rear view mirror befor taking off from unhook.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Oh No!

Hope you didn't EBAY that diamond studded louvered tailgate yet!

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Wayne,

Brad is right, NOW you need that purdy diamond studded tailgate!

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Naw!
I called my friend and told him that the insurance was going to cover it and that I had $100 deductible comprehensive insurance.

He stated that he was going to pay me the deductible. Of which I told him that he could take me and the wife out for a good dinner. He wasn't hearing that, but I told him that I would rather be able to point at him and say, "Do you want to know what he did?"

He said he would pay me the $100 just to keep my mouth shut.

We'll see.

You know, in retrospect, he did graduate from A&M!!!
Old 01-29-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Wayne, I'm glad there wasn't any real damage so to speak. The tailgate is easily replaced. I worry sometimes about making friends mad when I say, "I've got it". I know they are trying to help, but I'm afraid I will forget something that is part of a routine that we seem to set for ourselves.
I love the priceless part though!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:31 PM   #6
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Wayne,

Brad is right, NOW you need that purdy diamond studded tailgate!

No Diamonds......I would go for the bullet hole decals.....shows more respect for the moment of inattention..
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
When I told the DW, she said it could have been worse. I could have been baking in to hook up with the tailgate down and over shoot and hit the Hanna. She's right. All material things are replaceable or repairable. Heirlooms excluded.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:42 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Waynem,
You're not the first to do that. My tailgate went into a dumpster in Caldwell, ID four years ago!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Waynem,
A little late for this suggestion but I made a P-touch label that is directly attached to the bottom of the rearview mirror that states in Black Bold Letters on a white background, "CHECK TAILGATE". Everytime I look at the rearview, I get a reminder lesson, hopefully the message embeds itself in my brain permanently. I won't say anything about louvered tailgates, others have rubbed that in already
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Well, the hitch in the back has an angle on it. I'm pretty sure that the hitch road up the top of the tailgate. I'm also pretty sure that I should have immediately stopped the vehicle when I heard and felt the first bump. But NO! I had to back up. So, the tailget is bent IN not out. Of course, when I backed up I ripped the electrical cover box off on the bottom of the hitch, and mangled the box.

As I told my friend. It was MY fault. I was the driver.

Other lesson learned: When you are moving very slowly and you hit or bump something, immediately stop and inspect before you move vehicle. In my case, I may have been able to lift the Hanna off the tailgate with minimum damage.

Of course, I'm never going to trust an Aggie again.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:45 AM   #11
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Now we need Ozz or Brad to come up with a warning light on the dash for TG up or TG down!! Should be quite simple !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:10 AM   #12
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Glad no one is hurt.
I guess the best lesson is to trust no one other than the normal co-driver and still double check.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:33 PM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by VanMan

Now we need Ozz or Brad to come up with a warning light on the dash for TG up or TG down!! Should be quite simple !!
Now that is an idea. All you need is a momentary open or close switch, wired correctly to a 12V LED light that will flash on the dash. An added improvement for us visually impaired that don't look in the mirror would to have an alert tone, similar to the annoying tone you hear when you open the door without shutting the engine off. (Beep! Beep! Beep! etc.) That is a very doable solution.

Ok John Kohl, send me the schematic and parts list. Make it with a cut off switch so when you are hauling long pieces of lumber you don't have to listen to the annoying sound or watch the blinking light.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:35 PM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
p.s., I regret that I have to tell my friend that the insurance company called and they will not honor comprehensive insurance because the vehicle was moving. So it will go on my collision insurance with a $500 deductible.

That should be good for some more "priceless," responses from him.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #15
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Of course, I'm never going to trust an Aggie again.
Good one, Waynem! Actually, GREAT one!!! Folks who aren't familiar with the Hook 'Em, Gig "Em way of life in Texas might not understand your Aggie reference. We do, oh boy, do we ever! It was really nice of you to trust an Aggie in the first place (makes 'em feel good in spite of where they went to college). You're done your good deed. Now, do NOT trust one again!
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote