Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
lsproul
Established Member

M.O.C. #5345
Chevy Duramax Intermediate Steering Shaft

You may already know about this, but if you don't, here goes.

Those that have experience diffuculties getting the steering shaft fixed, they now have a bulletin with a new shaft that will fix the problem. I just had mine changed out yesterday, and it drives like a new one. It helps if you have attempted to have it fixed under warranty. They fixed mine at no charge.

Lsproul
297 Mountaineer RKS
Reese 16K Slider

lsproul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
What year and size truck do you have??? I thought they had fixed this problem a couple of years ago???
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:39 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
No, problem is not fixed. Mine rattles - always has. I will check with a dealership, but if too much $$$ I will leave as is... It is NOT a safety issue - just annoying at times.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
There is a fix over at diesel place regarding this - they have a how to on it. Looks like you need to be pretty handy to tackle it though.
They recommend getting the shaft replaced first, and then proceeding with the proper fix for the new shaft.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
lsproul
Established Member

M.O.C. #5345
Sorry about that, I have a 2003 duramax. If you have had it in to be repaired during warranty, they will fix it for free.
lsproul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Bruce, I ditto your impression on that fix over there. I have seen it a while back.

Larry, I will check if the original owner ever tried to get it fixed under warranty. I got this truck with 126K on it, but the original owner had everything documented at one dealership. I saw the list of repairs/maintenance on my GMC about two years ago, but can't remember. I'll have to call...
Old 01-28-2008, 12:55 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I had the shaft replaced a couple months ago. No rattle in the new one, but I now have a squall in the steering when turning. Guess I need to go over to Diesel Place and look at that fix.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:50 AM   #8
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
Everyone I know with chevy trucks 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton thru 2007 have had this shaft replaced, myself included. GM says the new shaft cures the problem however Ive got a buddy with a 2006 that needs its 3rd shaft, since hes thinking this one may come out of his pocket it might just get left alone.

Also FYI, theres an issue with leaky transmission lines at the radiator on allison equipped trucks. It seems they only leak when its cold,and its an issue with a crimp on the hose end. The tell tale signs are small puddles of red under the front bumper when it sits idling upon initial start up in freezing temps. Mines got this issue and my dealer tells me the hoses are on backorder.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #9
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Gents, my one ton is at the dealer right now getting serviced. It has 57,500 miles on 'er and they have done the so called fix when it had 15 or 20,000 on it. The fix was a different sleeve or shaft of some sort with a grease zerk on it so they could lube it to keep it from rattling. Now, they need to shoot grease in 'er again.

Every truck I have had since 1995, which includes 2 heavy half ton GMC's has had this problem. I just don't understand why GM can't seem to get it corrected!

SlickWillie, that squall you are experiencing has something to do with the air-bag in the steering wheel. Had to have that replaced 7500 miles ago on the last service.

Don't get me wrong guys, I like my Silverado. But some of the annoying little crap that goes on is just that. Annoying! So far, the dealer has been good at fixing most of things under warranty.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #10
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
When this steering shaft needs to be repaired, what are the symptoms you have experienced. I get a bit of a clunk in the steering when making turns. Is this the symptom?

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #11
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Yup.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:13 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
And a slight rattle at low speed when going over rough spots...
Old 01-29-2008, 11:21 AM   #13
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Glad I came across this post. My 2006 with 8650 miles began feeling a little funny in the steering wheel especially when turning. While it was in for inspection, tire rotation, and grease, my mechanic checked it out and couldn't find anything. Well, I guess it's back to the dealer.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #14
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Hey guys,

Got mine back from the dealer tonight from doing the regular scheduled stuff. When I got there, the service manager explained that they changed the intermediate steering shaft. I immediately questioned him explaining that I thought this had been done before. He said no, what had been done one other time was that they partially disassemble the shaft and lubed it with grease. He said I should not have any further problem with the clunking and rattling coming back.

So, I owe everyone an apology for talking out of turn. Any way, they also changed the tranny and fuel filters and that thing is handling and running like new, now!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #15
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by EagleRunner

When this steering shaft needs to be repaired, what are the symptoms you have experienced. I get a bit of a clunk in the steering when making turns. Is this the symptom?
Mine felt like something was going to fall out from under the front end. Worse at low speed. I had mine in the shop at around 30K miles, and they showed on the repair ticket to have replaced the shaft. I thought the procedure was to lube it; maybe they got more money from the warranty by replacing. My 2003 Chevy only made 15K before it had to be lubed.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #16
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Lubing the shaft was the initial fix, as prescribed by GM. They even made a kit that included a syringe filled with grease you could buy and do-it-yourself. The replacement shaft came as a fix last year. If you have had this problem looked and recorded during warranty, they should fix it again even if you are out of warranty. Has to have been documented earlier though. My first shaft replacement was worse than the original. The second time, they also replaced a lower shaft bearing. It is much better this time. However, have only put about 2,000 miles on the truck since replacement. If it starts to rattle again, I'm putting my hose clamp fix back on that was discussed on this forum previously. I learned of this from dieselplace.com, and it should be in the archives on this forum with a photo and description.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #17
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
SlickWillie,

A "squeal" from the front end while turning may be one of the front hubs (bearings) going bad. It's all sealed, so you can't do anything about it until you finally decide to have it replaced. Three dealers mis-diagnosed my problem, all said "It's the intermediate steering shaft".
nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #18
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nkwist

SlickWillie,

A "squeal" from the front end while turning may be one of the front hubs (bearings) going bad. It's all sealed, so you can't do anything about it until you finally decide to have it replaced. Three dealers mis-diagnosed my problem, all said "It's the intermediate steering shaft".
I've had the front wheels off; no sign of a bad bearing ass'y. Funny thing is it only made the noise while turning going forward at a crawl. No noise in reverse. I say "made", because it seems to have cured itself (knock on wood). I was reading over on the DP site that a number of folks have or have had similar noises. Many different diagnosis also. I'm very suspicious of the new intermediate shaft though, as I understand that Teflon (or plastic) has replaced the lubricant they used before. Saying all that, I will keep an eye on the wheel bearings though, as I have had to replace those on other GM 4 X 4's I have owned. Thanks for your response.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:18 AM   #19
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
So glad to get this info. Need to check with my dealer whether or not he lubed or replaced. Still having a problem but thought it was my dime because we are out of warranty now.
krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:22 AM   #20
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
A big thank you for the new information regarding the intermediate shaft replacement on my 2004 Chevy 2500HD. I just got the truck back today, and like one person said it drives like a NEW truck! My cost was ZERO. Last year I had the grease fix but that didn't last long, but no kidding it is just amazing on it feels now.

Thanks MOC!
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote