Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2008, 05:11 AM   #1
traveljunkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6224
Ford 2008 SuperDuty "Check Air Filter" Issue

Just FYI to all Ford 2008 SuperDuty Owners: On my way back to northern Wisconsin we were traveling through a pretty bad snowstorm. After about 2 hours of driving our 2008 F450 Superduty we received a "Check Air Filter" message on our message center. Well, the truck ran fine so we continued with our trip to our destination and then called the Ford Dealer and took it in for service thinkihg no big thing. Well, after waiting 3 hours they came out and told me that they had been on the phone with the Ford engineers and that there is no known resolution at this time for my problem.

The problem is, is when you are driving when it is snowing there is nothing stopping the snow from getting into the air intake and making it's way all the way back to the air filter thereby clogging it and setting off the sensor. The mechanic told me that it looked like a packed snowball right where the air comes into the air filter. Also, the filter was completely soaked (they replaced it). They did say that they had been getting calls from all over the midwest with the same problem so I'm sure they will be getting a fix out soon....hopefully.

The air intake is on the passengers side of the ruck right next to the headlight and part of the problem is that they had placed another sensor right next to the beginning of the intake. The mechanic mentioned that if he could, he would move the sensor to the other side of the truck and put a screen over the start of the intake. However, because the Ford engineers haven't tested that fix yet, he obviously couldn't perform the fix. I did mention that I am sure it will happen again because I do drive my truck and it is going to snow again, and likely heavy.

Isn't it 3 times in one year for the same problem mean a new truck? Not that I would want to go through that hassle but hopefully they will get a fix out soon.

I love the truck but I can't beleieve they would over look something so simple. If you do get this message, make sure you take it in to a Ford Dealer so it can be reported.

traveljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:50 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks for the heads up, Jay.
I worked on a make up air unit for a restaurant kitchen, the snow would get pulled into the outside filters, and the air pressure switch would lock out the furnace. Heavy wet snow can be a problem.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Very good informative post!!!!!! Ford needs to step up to the plate and issue all new SUPER DUTY owners a voucher, for use in tropical climate's. I think that is what happened to OZZ, He's just laying around on the beach until the snow is gone in Kansas so he can drive up there again.. Darn good excuse to travel south.
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Welll then.... We will just have to stay out of the snow....

FYI
Snow packing of air filter/air induction:
If snow obstructs the air induction/air filter on the 2008 F-SuperDuty, there is a winter grill cover available to correct this problem. The cover is a customer purchase item, and must be installed as per the included instructions. The cover should be removed in temperatures above 50 degrees for normal driving, or 32 degrees when towing. Symptoms include a lack of power under acceleration and resticted air filter lamp illumination. Part number 8C34-19A413-AA. Broadcast Message 0284, 7323
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:47 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
'Yall come on down, heah?
Old 01-21-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Simple fix to the problem is to move to Texas, does not snow very often down here.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I do love it here in Texas.
Jay, I hope we haven't taken your O.P. too far off course, I thank you for the information, it is good to know. I'm sure it will help our members in the North.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Snow! What's that?

Would a "driving" rain cause the the filter to get wet and cause the same symptom
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:54 PM   #9
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
If I can just learn to back down the highway real fast............ Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:00 AM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
The same problem is happening to the 2008 Chevy's, don't recall the exact fix, but GM has already encountered the problem. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:48 AM   #11
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
If I recall correctly, I think that the show issue is mentioned in the 2005 Ford Owners Manual. No fix, just be aware and check for snow blockage.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:06 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is a fix for the Ford..I posted it above..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #13
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Although I'm mixing an apple with some oranges, here's a little conversation on the subject. My VW Jetta diesel has what VW engineers call a snow screen built into the air intake duct. It's been incorporated in the tube for several production years. Basically it looks like a wire screened disk permanently installed in the intake tube near the grill. There is a separate pop-off door in the intake tube before the air filter box to supply the engine air if the snow screen becomes clogged due to temporary snow pack. The filter element itself has some fasion of a prefilter media on it to reduce water saturation if snow gets that far ito the intake pipe. I put the Donnelson air filter housing that came out on the 6.0's on my 7.3 Powerstroke. I contemplated removing the plastic shield just behind my grill in front of the airduct for better air flow. I ended up keeping the shield and cutting a 45 degree angle on the end of the air tube for more air flow as I was concerned about water during a heavy rain traveling straight up the intake tube. The newer trucks must not have this shield anymore.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #14
traveljunkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6224
I realize I could probably fix it myself but I would still like Ford to fix it since it is under warranty for the next 7 years. I think we may just take everyones advice and head south. This has been a real snowy winter up here. In fact, it is snowing right now and is suppose to get to about -5 with a wind chill of nearly -20 tonight. Don't you all miss it??
traveljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote