Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2007, 01:53 AM   #1
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Route from Branson to Salina Kansas

Hay you Missourians and Kansasns which is the best route to leave Branson after the rally and head to Dickinson county Kansas? Our destination is Herington Kansas. I have looked at both rt 71 and 13. I have been over 54 thank you and just about ran out of diesel on a sunday afternoon going that way. Looking forward to going back to Branson and the rally. Signed Old Kansas'n living in Virginia, and now wintering in Florida.

ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:20 AM   #2
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Streets and Trips gives me US 65, a very short stretch on I-44W to MO 13 to MO 7 to US 71 to south of KC, then I-435/I-70 across to Salina. 385 mi (long day). Shows an 8-10 mile construction area on MO 13 just south of Collins, MO, until 30 March '07.

I did the Salina to Carthage, MO, this past summer, via Iola and Ft. Scott. OK, but not a great road, and no shorter than via KC. Not familiar with roads from Branson to Carthage/Joplin.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:32 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The MO 13/7 route is good road. We just did that the end of December, in the opposite direction. It's the main route between Kansas City and Branson so is well maintained. 71 is pretty good road, too, or was a couple of years ago.

I grew up in Wichita, McPherson (south of Salina) and Wamego, KS, then we lived 27 years in Topeka.

I would take 13/7 up to Harrisonville, MO, then cut west on MO 2. This short stretch of 2 is not great road but it gets you to where you want to get and bypasses the Kansas Turnpike (toll road). MO 2 becomes KS 68 as you cross into Kansas. Once you get past Louisburg, KS, this is good road. Take it on west through Ottawa. As you approach Quenemo, 68 turns south. I would not make that turn but continue straight west on 268. Also good road. There's a nice state and also a federal campground at neaby Pomona Lake, should you need overnight accomodations. As you approach US 75, south of Topeka, 268 becomes KS 31. Continue west on 31 to just past Osage City. At that point pick up US 56 and take that on into Herington. I have towed all of these roads over the years although not for several years on some of them.

Or you could cut north on US 75 instead of continuing west on 31 and pick up I-470, then I-70 at Topeka. I70 is not toll road west of Topeka. You'd then take US 77 to Herington (I70 exit 295).

I don't like US 54, either. West of Wichita it's ok, or was last time we towed it (about 3 years ago).

There are other ways, too, but this is the route I'd probably take.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

The MO 13/7 route is good road. We just did that the end of December, in the opposite direction. It's the main route between Kansas City and Branson so is well maintained. 71 is pretty good road, too, or was a couple of years ago.

I grew up in Wichita, McPherson (south of Salina) and Wamego, KS, then we lived 27 years in Topeka.

I would take 13/7 up to Harrisonville, MO, then cut west on MO 2. This short stretch of 2 is not great road but it gets you to where you want to get and bypasses the Kansas Turnpike (toll road). MO 2 becomes KS 68 as you cross into Kansas. Once you get past Louisburg, KS, this is good road. Take it on west through Ottawa. As you approach Quenemo, 68 turns south. I would not make that turn but continue straight west on 268. Also good road. There's a nice state and also a federal campground at neaby Pomona Lake, should you need overnight accomodations. The corps of engineers park below the dam was one of our favorites. As you approach US 75, south of Topeka, 268 becomes KS 31. Continue west on 31 to just past Osage City. At that point pick up US 56 and take that on into Herington. I have towed all of these roads over the years although not for several years on some of them.

Or you could cut north on US 75 instead of continuing west on 31 and pick up I-470, then I-70 at Topeka. I70 is not toll road west of Topeka. You'd then take US 77 to Herington (I70 exit 295).

I don't like US 54, either. West of Wichita it's ok, or was last time we towed it (about 3 years ago).

There are other ways, too, but this is the route I'd probably take.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:51 PM   #5
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Thanks guys. 13 and 7 was my firt choice and I will probably go that way. I planned on using 2/68 to 31 and onto 56 into Herington. 54 was a wake up call looking for diesel on sunday. It just wasn't there. I remembered a small station on 77 that used to be there 50 years ago. It was still there and 37 gal latter my tank was full. One gal to spare in the tank. That won't happen again. New truck, larger 46 gal tank and carrying an extra 5 gal of fuel. Again thanks.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:42 PM   #6
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
I pulled my TT across Mo 2/Ks 68 today from Harrisonville, Mo to Ottowa, Ks. and back. Like the others said, a small portion of 2 is rough but 68 is very good. Do be careful West of Louisburg, there is a very tight traffic circle in the highway out in the middle of nowhere. The construction on Mo 13 south of Collins is now only about 4 miles long (they are building up to a 4 lane and unless they are blasting there should be little to no hold up in this area. We prefer 13 over any other North/South route. If you do travel across K68, keep your eyes open just east of Ottowa and you will see a nice Mountaineer sitting out in the yard. Don't know for sure but suspect that it is Dieselguy's.
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote