Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2005, 08:25 AM   #1
Montana_669
Established Member

M.O.C. #669
Vent covers

We have fantastic fans on our Montana 3685. What type of vent covers (Make & Model) would be best to buy to put over them?

Thanks

Dave

Montana_669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 09:22 AM   #2
Montana_139
Montana Master

M.O.C. #139
We use a MaxxAire(Sp?) vent cover over our Fantastic Fan. The automatic cover hits the new cover, but it automatically stops when it hits resistance. We shut off the rain sensor so that the morning dew doesn't cause the automatic cover to open and close. We can now keep the fan on when it is raining.

Glenn
Montana_139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 03:26 PM   #3
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KK and GB

We use a MaxxAire(Sp?) vent cover over our Fantastic Fan. The automatic cover hits the new cover, but it automatically stops when it hits resistance. [...]
Glenn
Ah Ha!!!! That is what I've been trying to find out in another thread.

Thanks

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 09:01 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I had the maxxair fan mate model 800 put over my fantastic fan, this allows for the cover of the fan to fully open and also is built to allow full use of the fan. Check out www.maxxair.com they have all the covers online so you can see what your looking at. I would get the model 800 that is made to go over the fantastic fan, I run my fan all the time and have not had any trouble with it yet.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 11:26 PM   #5
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
How do you shut off the rain senser???
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:47 PM   #6
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
harleyrider
Either put a hat on or put your hand in your pocket. Couldn't resist.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 02:35 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
From the Fantastic Vent FAQ page....

Q. DO YOU RECOMMEND VENT COVERS?
A. Vent covers restrict the airflow of your Fan-Tastic Vent by about sixty percent. In addition, covering your vent requires more frequent cleaning due to dust and dirt accumulation. Although we do not recommend any cover over your Fan-Tastic Vent, it will not void your warranty.

To me, the biggest selling feature of the Fantastic Vent is it's ability to move volumes of air through the rig. By restricting the air flow by 60% defeats the purpose of even having a Fantastic Vent.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 03:22 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's exactly why you don't want to use a standard maxxair vent cover, it restricts the airflow too much. The FanMate model (400 and 800) is made for high volume airflow and seems to work very well. At least ours does. There is probably some restriction but it is far better than the standard cover. And it lets us use the fan in all kinds of weather. Since ours is in the bathroom hallway it's perfect for getting rid of moisture while showering.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 03:59 AM   #9
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
Does the fanmate model 800 increase the heigth of the RV or does the AC continue to be the higest point? Thanks Ron
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 10:23 AM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I believe it increased the height of my 3400RL by 1 3/4inches. I would think your dealership has it in stock. Next time you have the coach out there ask them if you can put it over the top of your fan and take a look and see what you think. I did that and noticed the height increase was nothing at all. Just a thought,
Old 04-12-2005, 10:25 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron, I don't believe it raised it but I've forgotten now and it's raining pretty good so I'm not going to go out and look. If you look at the picture in my signature, there's a standard vent cover up front, just over the running light on the front of the Montana. That's over the bed. Just behind that is the fanmate cover. You can barely see it in the picture. Next to that, outboard, is the standard vent cover over the water closet vent/fan. Then aft of the AC is another standard vent cover. If I recall, it's no higher than a standard vent cover and the AC is still the highest point. It's supposed to rain for a couple of days but if it lets up I'll walk down the street a bit and eyeball it again. When we installed the fanmate I did some checking but darned if I can remember the outcome. I'm pretty sure the AC is still the highest point though.

Just checked www.maxxair.com and the fan/mate and the standard maxxair vent cover are the same height, 9 inches.

Here's some pictures from the maxxair site:

model 800

model 400

Old 04-12-2005, 08:48 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sorry, I should have said my fantastic fan in my 3400RL is in the kitchen, the highest point of the roof. My a/c is in the back living room. Will be having the second a/c put in the bedroom this spring so that will change everything as far as highest point is concerned.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:06 AM   #13
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We have the MaxAir model 800 on ours and the air condtition is still the highest point.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:05 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Since the cover is just nine inches high I'm sure it's lower than our AC unit. However, I don't know if that's true of those of you with the low-profile AC unit.

Also, I checked vent clearance on our fantastic fan and it does not open all the way. It opens plenty far enough but it does catch the fan/mate cover before it gets all the way up. Someone posted the motor stops on theirs when the lid gets to the fan/mate so it must be built to handle that possibility. Makes sense.