Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2012, 03:55 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
It 'r' did

Since Dometic was so kind to send me new seals plus instructions with photos by our master plumber, Ozz, I changed them out today. Not too hard a job. The hardest part was thoroughly cleaning the ball.

When I got the thing torn apart, I discovered a goodly amount of mildew buildup under the bowl ring which had migrated to the ball surface that was hidden by the seal. Clorox, and other strong chemicals along with a throw-away tooth brush did the job.

I also found three parts to the old seal assembly instead of two. If you do this job on a Model 210, you need to throw all three of the old rings away and replace them with the two new ones as directed.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:04 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Oh-oh. I must have a third hiding there somewhere. Could you be more specific on the third?
I only saw two. Do you have the overflow model? I think they only have two as well...but something is amiss.
Thanks.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
There was a thin ring, a thicker black rubber ring, and then a fairly thick white plastic ring. When I tried to put it together, things didn't look right to me. I didn't see the white ring mentioned anywhere, so I called Dometic and she said throw it away too. It may have been an attempt to "fix" the seal problem. My rig is a 2008 model manufactured in late 2007.

With the new seals, it is working more smoothly and easily.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wow, I wish you had mentioned at the start this was NOT a fridge. In my trailer I have a Dometic fridge and a Sealand toilet, so you can see where my mind was heading. Then reading the early parts of the post and I couldn't imagine rings and balls on a fridge and a toothbrush is needed to clean the balls. What?!

Okay, I'm over it now. Good news you got the toilet rebuild completed and things are working great. I hope Ozz keeps posting his travels cuz if something goes wrong I'm gonna have to go find him. (Stiles, what does he like to drink and/or eat - good news is that he likes Mexican food of which we are real good at).

I miss that there's no pictures (Ozz?), but now that I figured out what you were doing, the description is good enough.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
[quote]Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Wow, I wish you had mentioned at the start this was NOT a fridge. In my trailer I have a Dometic fridge and a Sealand toilet, so you can see where my mind was heading. Then reading the early parts of the post and I couldn't imagine rings and balls on a fridge and a toothbrush is needed to clean the balls. What?!

Okay, I'm over it now. Good news you got the toilet rebuild completed and things are working great. I hope Ozz keeps posting his travels cuz if something goes wrong I'm gonna have to go find him. (Stiles, what does he like to drink and/or eat - good news is that he likes Mexican food of which we are real good at).

"Corona Extra"

The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:05 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
William, you have been paying attention I drink Corona when someone is buying... and Miller Lite when I have to buy
art, I posted pictures when I rebuilt mine, they are around here somewhere.
Thanks Stiles, if I would have read your first post again, I would have seen that you just installed the two rings. I got's to pay attention...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:28 AM   #7
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
Just replaced the water valve and now the seal wants to leak! I had replaced the seal with the new improved one several years ago and all was great! Never ends
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:44 AM   #8
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Sometimes things in our refrigerator look like they belong in the toilet!!! Oops, here comes Louise!!!!!
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:41 AM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Oops, a glitch. After replacing the seals, I went back into the bathroom a few hours later and was welcomed with water on the floor. Investigation revealed that the leak was at the grommet in the bowl where the vacuum breaker tube is inserted.

When I removed the vacuum breaker to remove the bowl allowing me access to the seals, that grommet came out also. The leak came after putting it all back together.

My fix was to remove the vacuum breaker and the grommet, coat the part of the grommet that gets inserted with silicon grease and reinsert it. I also coated the VB tube with silicon grease for ease of insertion. Afterward, it did not seem to be leaking. We will see if it holds.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:35 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Stiles,
You are a very nice person, using a throw away toothbrush.

I use DW's and don't tell her.

Just kidding, but it has been a thought, hee hee!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote