Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2012, 03:19 AM   #21
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

I use mine on the wife to see if she's still mad at me. It's better than asking!
I would need the services of a Proctologist if I tried that!!!
Mike

pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:55 AM   #22
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Me too Mike, we have to watch what we point at our wives
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:11 AM   #23
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TAKPAK

People would ask what is the air temperature coming out of the vent, I wasn’t actually measuring the air temperature, just the surface of the diffuser, grill, or cooler wall. The air temperature was not being taken, but if the system was running for a while, the air would cool, or heat the object to approximately the same temperature.

Ozz, I am shocked. A man of your talents and profession, and you didn't use a really fancy, whiz bang digital readout, high tech hand held thermometer? I'll bet you had one........I did for the high rise building I ran. I just loved it when a person would complain, and show me the temp they were getting at their desk, with their $5.00 Walmart thermometer, and would doubt the accuracy of my $300.00, yearly calibrated hand held unit! Of course, I had the infra-red one too........and would tell the person to "chill".....they were getting to "hot under the collar"....!!
I had 31 years there, I could say that......!!!
I can relate! It is more impressive to go to the area they were complaining about and check the diffuser with the Lazier turned on, the floor manager controls the setting for heat and cooling, so when the gals at the desks complain, we make a show of checking the output, even when we don't actually do anything. I have installed dummy thermostats for the ladies to fiddle with. Also have mounted thermostats in return ducts, leave the fan on all the time to even the air out.
I bet you used some of these tricks as well. We work for the person paying the bill
Years ago I opened all the new Burger Kings in Wichita, Ks. The thermostats were in the return air ducts but we had the HVAC folks put a new looking, but broken, Honeywell thermostat on the wall in the dinning room and then we didn't put a box over it. Folks got up and changed it all the time, but we seldom got a complaint about the temperature and if we did we just went over to the dummy thermostat and changed it ourselves. Folks were always comfortable once the thermostat was adjusted properly.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:18 AM   #24
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Yes. We have been using it for 5 years to check tires, bearings, etc… when we stop for a break while towing.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:18 AM   #25
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Remember when using this device to check the tires your going to get the most information if you get out of the rig immediately after getting off the highway. Tires cool off quicker than one might think. We would get our readings off the race car at the exit off the track to the pits, even before we got to our pit parking spot to get the optimum reading. Just a little trick if you would like to use it.

I check mine when I pull into a rest area, truck stop off the hwy, any place that is safe to do so the quickest. Just as info my tires on a 90* plus day my tires on the trailer and truck run in the area of 140*. This in my eyes is pretty good temp. The idea is that all the tires are running near the same. Five to ten degrees difference is common so don't worry about that. Hopefully you don't get to that 225* and over mark. Thats when tires start to come apart or as we call it in the racing industry as blistering. I highly doubt anyone will ever see these temps in the 200* range, but at least you have some sort of guideline to go by. I know I use racing as a comparison, which not all the time applies to what we do as RV'ers. If I am incorrect on my assumptions I am hoping that Lonnie or someone with expertise in this area speaks up.

Dave

Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote