Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Power Awning Question

Okay, I have a question of vital importance on the new power awnings. How do you attach your ornamental lights? There is no access to the groove for the hangers like the old manual awnings. Also, if you had a screen, how would you attach it?

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
are you able to shut off the awning from closing on a windy day? Or is that an option that dosen't apply here.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
rames14,
The electric awning on our 08 Montana has the groove and it can be accessed from the right side as you look at the awning from the door.
I have hung the awning shade from it.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Ron, we have the groove for the hangers, but we put the rope lights around the patio on the ground. We had the same effect with the lights. I like the easy stow when it gets windy, just a push of a button!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Ron, rotate the drum so the open track is on top that way you can get the nylon awning hangers in. The holders I am referring are available at CW. I have seen these at several CWs and they are better than the plastic ones in that they can be rolled up with the awning without damaging the awning. They look like 2 inch nylon webbing with plastic rods sewn in either end, they each have a big grommet in them that you can put a S hook in and hang anything from. I have two sets of 8 in mine and that is more than enough to hang wind spinners, 6 globe light string and a couple flower pots. To access that track open the awing all the way and then go a half turn further. The motor assembly is flat on the top and you should be able to access the track easily... Dave P.S. here is a link to the Awning hooks I have.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Dave, I have the same nylon awning holders and they are great when the wind comes up fast and the awning needs to go up 2 minutes ago. The hard plastic hangers are not good for the awning.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Thanks for the info. I will look at CW for some of the hangers and check to see if the slot is open on the right side. I take it the drum cover bolts on and is able to be rotated?
Old 06-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Ron, I think I have confused you. When you open the awning all the way you will see an open slot the length of the awning roller. If you continue rolling it until that slot is on the top (as in toward the sky) and you look on the right side or left side you will see that the end of the slot is easily accessible where the motor housing is flat. You do not have to unscrew anything. I am assuming that you have the Carefree of Colorado Traveler model awning. The 09s and 10 have a different model... Dave P.S. I just looked at your signature, I am not sure which awning you have. Some have the Traveler and some don't, sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:09 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have seen another Big Sky (not mine) with a screen in the slot as described above. The screen hangs about 4 or 5 feet down and the owner rolls it up with the awning and has not had any problems doing so. He uses a thin screen material. It seems to work nicely.

As to awning lights, I have given them up on the electric awning. Rope lights on the ground would be my option now.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
paperheart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7541
Dave, we used to have the awning light holders that you have from CW and we rolled them up in the awning and came out one morning to an awning that was split all the way across. We will never use them again. They WERE handy. And No we didn't roll them up with the s hooks in , just in case you wondered.
paperheart
paperheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:25 AM   #11
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Well, I will be picking the Big Sky up from storage next Wednesday and take a look. Our unit is a 2010. We had just bought some of the mini lantern style lights, which wouldn't do well on the ground. I have a few things to look at. I will be by a CW this weekend as well. Thanks. By the way, Racerjoe, I have heard you can buy the sind sensor, but it is not a standard on our awning.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:50 AM   #12
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
There is another option, we used to use attach-a-snaps and they were very easy to use. they snapped onto the skirt of the awning and could be snapped off easily when you needed them off in a hurry. These are the same flat folding clips some folks use with elastic straps to keep sheets on mattresses... Dave
Old 06-19-2009, 06:42 AM   #13
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
I use these little rubber tabs that have an end shaped horizontally so they snap into the groove. The lights are held on with suspender snaps that come with the tabs. When the time comes to roll up the awning I unsnap and leave the tabs in place. The snaps remain on the lights so I don't have to space them again. Otherwise the DW makes me make a least 100 adjustments each time we put them up. Got them at Walmart but have seen them other places. The rubber is soft but strong and after several years of use hasn't damaged my previous or this current awning.

The only solution I have ever seen that I would use for an awning without groove was a fellow in the park had female Velcro patches on the roller and held all his assorted hangings up with a small fold of male Velcro around the wires etc. I checked out the underside of his awning and there was no sign the female caused any trouble ..... I guess miracles do happen eh! ;-p
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #14
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Dave -
Terrie found the velcro straps attached to the plastic tab for the slot that will roll up with the awning. We will give it a try next week when we bring the Big Sky home to pack. Off to Colorado a week from today.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #15
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
I attached screw eyes near the roller ends on the arms. I connect a cord with s hooks on it and have the lights attached to the cord. The eyes are back on the arms a couple of inches so if I roll the awning up at night or because of wind the the roller and awning clear the lights. Works quite good. I take them down for travel. I have the lights attached to the cord with nylon ties and clips like you would use on the awning. They are hidden by the awning fabric that hangs down. I know this sounds complicated but once you do it once it is bery easy to attach and take down since it is just hooking the s hooks and the ends.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote