Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2014, 04:58 AM   #1
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Adding propane connection

Hello all, happy Spring is finally here! I bought a used (almost new) Weber-Q from a friend that was transferring overseas. He had an outside propane connection on his trailer (like a standard air compressor fitting), so he removed and subsequently lost the regulator for the Weber-Q. I know I can buy another regulator for it, but I have always wanted a propane connection outside for cooking instead of using the little propane bottles I have always used. I have a 2012 3402RL and while I was looking at how to add this, I noticed something that you folks might be able to help me with. First off, I know I have to "T" off after the requlator on the trailer and I want the connection to be on the door side of the trailer. I opened the door side propane tank door and was tracing lines. When I did that I noticed the line from the door side propane tank goes up and over to the other side where the "main" regulator is (the one with the tank selector on it). I noticed what appeared to be a small regulator in the line above door side tank (it was colored red). It is right where the flexible hose transitions into the steel pipe to go over to the other side. I traced that over and that steel pipe goes into the "main" regulator on the opposite side. So, question is...2 regulators? Where is the best place to "T" off of the propane line. I know I might have to do it on the "driver side" of the trailer and then run it underneath to the other side, which is no big deal, just need to know the best place to put my "T" in. Thanks! -Glenn

Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:17 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
On my 3800RE, the change-over regulator is on the curbside. The bottom hose out of this regulator feeds down to a 1/2 inch black gas pipe and this runs curbside along the frame back to where the water heater and furnace are located (just in front of the entry door). There is a t connection there where two tap-offs were done to add gas service to these appliances. The black pipe gas line then goes back in behind the steps and across under the monty to the street-side for the gas service to the fridge and stove. I WAS going to add another t connection in the rearmost part of the run to add a barbe take-off...but decided instead to just buy a adaptor hose from camping world as well as a 20# propane tank (carried in the pickup bed when moving) for our coleman barbe. This is just more flexible and gets the barbe further away from monty when in use. John
Old 03-24-2014, 05:22 AM   #3
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
The reason for the red regulator is that the line from the driver side is long enough that without the regulator, it would make the OPD valve seem as though there was a leak and shut the tank off. The red regulator prevents the false leak. I have known some that have pulled the red regulator off. You would then have to open the tank very slowly to prevent the OPD from closing down the tank.

I put my T in before the regulator but I did have the standard regulator on the Weber Q. Not sure if you t'd after the regulator if you'd be ok with the Q.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:07 AM   #4
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Thanks Ken and Jcurtis, keep the ideas/info coming!
Old 03-24-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Apparently your Weber Q will work without the Weber supplied regulator. From your description your friend was using the low pressure side of the coach Propane system to feed the Webber Q. That makes it a lot easier to tap into the Montana's propane system. My Coleman Roadtrip has a proprietary regulator and has to be fed from the high pressure side - a real bummer!

My 3700 propane system is exactly like jcurtis934's. That really doesn't help as yours is backwards to us. But I would try to tap into the system somewhere downstream from the main regulator. That way your have propane even if one tank is empty (if both tanks are empty you have a different problem ). Look for T-fitting (with a plug) where the black pipe makes a turn. Consider tapping in where the water heater or furnace intersect the black pipe. You can always run a flex hose from the water heater/furnace over to the curb side, then out to a quick disconnect mounted near the frame.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Thanks Carl. Good ideas. -Glenn
Old 07-15-2018, 06:08 PM   #7
tankeryanker
Established Member

M.O.C. #22216
This was just the info I was looking for. Our last 5vr had a connection curb side for our BBQ. So I'm wanting to do the same as Glenn the fifth did.

Thanks for the info signed another
Glenn
tankeryanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:44 PM   #8
footz1941
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21057
I bought a tank foot on Amazon Screwed it to the right rear corner of TV bed
20 lb propane tank sits in it, does not roll around. Carry my grill behind the hitch, slide the grill onto tailgate, hook up hose and cook Also keeps 30 lb tank from tipping when refill is needed.
Rex and Patsy
footz1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:41 PM   #9
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
I use a pigtail, one end is attached to the grill's propane bottle inlet, then one end has the speed nut to the RV tank outlet, I ordered one 12' long.

https://www.amazon.com/DOZYANT-Conve...=fsclp_pl_dp_1

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote