Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2017, 05:25 PM   #1
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Angry More work on the leaf spring hangers....

Well folks, what would life be without having to work on the rig each spring for one thing or another. Below is the link to our latest repair where we outline the details of the Correct Track repair.

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/20...ailer.html?m=1

Bigboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:08 PM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
A wise man once told me if I wanted something to work on al the time, buy a RV
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:48 AM   #3
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I have a couple of observations.

Our spring hangars failed at the curve where the hanger was bent in the stamping of the hanger before installation. My metal structures engineer when he saw the picture made the statement that a stamped item such as that should not be welded along the bend. He recommended stamping a hole in the center of the piece where it contacts the frame then welding the open ends and the hole in the center to avoid the loss of strength due to carbon transfer to the weld at a point that has all ready been stressed to its limit.

He recommended putting a strap over the hanger like your kit did but extending that strap up the frame to be welded or bolted to the web of the “I” beam.

We followed his instructions and added a plate cross ways on the open ends from the frame down as close as practical to the spring.

The sintered bronze bushings like you have used are an advantage as well and it is commonly recommended not to lubricate them as they have lubricant in them. This came very apparent when I reamed them to fit with a king pin reamer commonly used on trucks. During the reaming process the oil just dripped out of the bushing to my surprise.

The second thing he recommended was to use a shoulder bolt but I found that to be very inconvenient in this application but would work well in yours.

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:42 AM   #4
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0LCB View Post
A wise man once told me if I wanted something to work on al the time, buy a RV
Hey, think an RV is bad? Go buy a boat and see what that does to your wallet!