Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2017, 03:11 PM   #1
cobear

M.O.C. #11601
First Time Poster Needs Electrical Help

Hello,

I am a long time lurker on the forum and first off I want to say thank you to all of the members for all of their advice and for sharing their wealth of knowledge on this site. I have been lurking for a long time and typically am able to find answers to any questions I have just using the search function. Unfortunately I couldn't find an answer to my current predicament.

I have a 2011 Montana 3665RE and recently I have lost all power when I am not plugged into shore power. If operating on battery power I cannot open slides, turn on lights, run the refrigerator on propane, etc. Once I plug into shore power everything is fine. Do you have any suggestions on how I might trouble shoot this before I break down and pay a repair service?

Thank you all for your help and any advice you might have.

Derek

cobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Sounds like your battery is bad. Take it out and have it tested. Your converted is obviously working OK or you wouldn't have 12 volt when plugged to shore power.
jimcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:33 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Also check to see if you inadvertently turned your 12 volt disconnect switch.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:48 PM   #4
cobear

M.O.C. #11601
Thanks for the response. I should have pointed out I put a brand new battery in and verified that the disconnect switch was turned. That's why I'm at a loss.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:30 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
On my 2007 there are two 12 v auto reset circuit breakers near the battery. One supplies power to the hydraulic pump. The other supplies power to everything else. If one trips, it is supposed to automatically reset itself after it cools, typically a few seconds. If one failed to reset, there would be no power beyond that breaker. You could possibly even have a manual reset breaker requiring you to push a reset button. You could use a voltmeter to verify you have 12 volts on both sides of the breakers.

Yours may or may not be similar to mine.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:44 PM   #6
Preston & Terri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14645
Have you checked voltage? Just because it's new doesn't mean it has a full charge. Also, try to take a voltage reading while someone is trying to operate slide or some other load. If you have a large voltage drop then there is likely a battery issue, either bad or not charged.
Retired FULLTIMERS that Travel & Work -- 2020 3931FB Legacy Edition -- OEM Sailun S637T's -- 2017 F350 DRW, 4.10 axle, 6.7L -- PullRite OE Puck Super-5th 25K hitch -- Dish Network w/ Winegard G2 automatic portable antenna -- 50A Surge Guard portable -- WiFi Ranger Elite -- Blue Streak -- YourBestAddress.com -- RVSA Certified Technician -- The UnBeetable Experience
Preston & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Also, the wording on the battery disconnect switch is very confusing. If you can take the key out then it is disconnected and the battery can't charge. At least that's how it works on mine.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:38 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobear View Post
Thanks for the response. I should have pointed out I put a brand new battery in and verified that the disconnect switch was turned. That's why I'm at a loss.
Did you possibly hook the battery backwards and blow the protection fuses in the converter?

Check the voltage of the battery with shore power on and off. If it is the same voltage in both cases, I bet the protection fuses are smoked.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:53 PM   #9
cobear

M.O.C. #11601
Thanks guys. I'll check all this tomorrow and let you know. I did verify the battery was fully charged and that the battery disconnect switch was in the appropriate position. I checked all of the fuses in the converter and they're fine. Are there any other fuses I should check?
Old 02-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #10
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Reverse battery fuses are larger and off to one side of the converter. No other fuses to check. Could this be a crappy crimp on the positive battery cable or ground?
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:51 PM   #11
cobear

M.O.C. #11601
BB_TX is the winner. It was the 50 amp auto reset breaker next to the battery. Thank you all though as all of the suggestions were great as I started the troubleshooting process. Once again the MOC comes through!
Old 02-14-2017, 05:59 PM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
With all our collective thoughts, we can usually home in on the solution to a problem. MOC is great.