Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2005, 05:02 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
What do y'all store in those high cabinets?

We're planning for a five months excursion to the Montana Rally via Alaska, starting in the summer and ending late fall. So that means we'll need two or three seasons of clothing. This means that we'll be using a lot more of the ample storage in our 3380....including the high cabinets that we cannot reach very easily. Other models also have these unreachable cabinets. What do you store in them? Ours have glass doors which add a complication to the situation. They're not totally clear as you would have in a curio cabinet but the contents can be partially seen. Any suggestions or ideas that have worked for you? Thanks, everyone. Judy

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:22 AM   #2
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Might be a good place for spare paper towels & toilet paper (light stuff that you may not want to pay Alaska $$$ for. "Space Bags" may also be something you want to consider - the kind you suck down with a vacuum cleaner.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:27 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We bought plastic tubs (small) that fit in these areas. Then you can store anything in them. The space bags are also a good idea especially for sweaters and sweatshirts.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:43 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Those high Cabinets really bug the wife..When we were at the factory she told them that if they had to put the cabinets that high they should include a step stool as standard equipment.Don't like the glass doors as things can shift and break the glass. In out present camper I cut foam to size and lined the back of the glass to prevent breakage.(present camper Terry)
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 06:13 AM   #5
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
My better half said she would probably store Tupperware and other plastic up there. I would probably have to reach them for her. She's 5 feet and I'm 6'4"
Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 07:06 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Rich, that sounds like a good idea to line the glass doors with something. It's great to have the extra storage but it's so inconvenient that it's hard to get stuff in the cabinet securely. The foam would certainly help.

I've thought about sweaters, etc. to trade out with seasonal clothing and the space bags would work great.

I think I will be using some of the space for dry foods for our trip to help avoid Alaska's high prices. Even tuna comes in foil packets now. I keep our paper towels, etc. in the floor laundry hamper but carrying a few spares would be a good idea, especially since I haven't convinced hubby that we don't need the high priced RV toilet paper. Thanks for all the ideas.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:52 AM   #7
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
ours don't have the glass doors up high....all of our glass is in the LR. we put all of our baking stuff in there IE: flour, brownie mix, oil, ect.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:09 AM   #8
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Don't forget the gopher grabber!
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 10:17 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I think that Gopher grabber is going to be added to our list of things to buy! I think solid doors would have been a better idea. I may consider some solid panels or glass covering so we don't have to see everything that is in the cupboard.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:15 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
You could apply a translucent contact paper to the backside of the glass.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 12:30 PM   #11
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I purchased material in a cordinating color, measured and serged all the ends and attached it with velcro circles...really looks good with the rest of the interior and now you cannot see that anything is even in the cabinets..I can take the panels off and wash them when they get dusty.
I usually store lightweight stuff in the high cabinets and stuff that is not used alot.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 12:31 PM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
campbud

You took the words right out of my little ole typing fingers!

Great solutions!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 02:50 PM   #13
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Carol, When I was putting stuff away in these cabinets is when I noticed you could see a little and I didn't care for that at all. I was really pleased with the results of the material and for 2 yds of material it was only $2.00 at Wal~mart so it was a cheap upgrade too!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 03:04 PM   #14
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I like the idea of fabric curtains, Bob and Kathy. Maybe I'll find something in my stash that I could use. The small bins seem like a good idea, too, as it will contain any small articles that could otherwise get lost in the high, back corners. It's great to have all that storage but it sure is tough to get to it.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:22 PM   #15
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Glen and Judy,

I have a small step stool that I keep in the trailer, I can get most stuff in those real high places with it.

I keep soft stuff in my corner cabinet, pillows, dog toys, blankets, etc. I was going to put some fabric on there, made from the curtains I got but did not put up, but somehow, just never got around to it (oh, oh, Glenn will be sending me one if I am not careful). Maybe I will this summer.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:07 PM   #16
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
We use a little plastic folding step stool for reaching the high stuff. I am only 5'6" and Jo is 5'2" so I guess that qualifies us as vertically challenged. It fits nicely in the hamper chute when when not being used and we don't have to go outside to get it. We keep light wt. supplies up there such as paper goods, plastic plates and things like that.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 03:39 PM   #17
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We got our curtains up inside the cabinet. I used leftover sheer fabric from the valances I made in our bedroom redo. They're so sheer you can still see right through them. But they'll protect the glass a little and do make it a little harder to see the contents of the cabinet. Thanks, ladies, for the suggestion.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:42 PM   #18
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We have a 3 step metal ladder that folds down and we store under the hideabed. Fortunately in the 3400 the high cupboards have solid wood doors. The glass ones are around the outside perimeter and we can reach them. We store the bulky plastic items in the highest shelves.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote